Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,463 times

Advertisements

So I just started somewhere part time(I'm still looking for something else, but working on the car situation so I can start applying to places out of state) and so far in my working life, I've gotten assumptions from people because I don't run my mouth nor get into deep conversations at work with people. I stumbled upon this post by somebody and it hit the nail on the head exactly how I feel in work situations:

5 Things You Can Do To Make A Quiet Person Feel Bad | Thought Catalog

Don't get me wrong, I always speak to people I work with and if somebody is speaking to me, I'll be friendly. Sometimes when I'm speaking to my coworkers, they act like they don't hear me so I eventually stop saying something to them altogether. Some think a simple "Good morning" back to you is hard to say back when I'm speaking to them.

I'm just the type of person where I'm all about my business, I don't like telling people too much of my personal life(especially in work situations), I'm not loud nor do I talk a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm quiet nor do I have an attitude.

Does anybody else go through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
So I just started somewhere part time(I'm still looking for something else, but working on the car situation so I can start applying to places out of state) and so far in my working life, I've gotten assumptions from people because I don't run my mouth nor get into deep conversations at work with people. I stumbled upon this post by somebody and it hit the nail on the head exactly how I feel in work situations:

Don't get me wrong, I always speak to people I work with and if somebody is speaking to me, I'll be friendly. Sometimes when I'm speaking to my coworkers, they act like they don't hear me so I eventually stop saying something to them altogether. Some think a simple "Good morning" back to you is hard to say back when I'm speaking to them.

I'm just the type of person where I'm all about my business, I don't like telling people too much of my personal life(especially in work situations), I'm not loud nor do I talk a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm quiet nor do I have an attitude.

Well, who knows if you still have me on ignore but yes, a lot of us go through this. It seems these days, working hard and being cordial is not what is wanted. What they want are Chatty Cathy dolls who hang around back stabbing and gossiping all day long.

Some will mistake what you are saying and think that you are not being sociable at all. Because they just can't see what you are saying.

You are being social, but you have to remember, people only care about themselves and what they want to hear. If it isn't about them, (and these types of people LOVE to talk about themselves...they will do it all day long if you let them), then it darn well better be about someone else and it better be trash.

Talk about yourself? Whatever for?! They don't want to hear about you! (General you, not personal you). Why aren't you allowing them to talk about...THEM!

Running joke line I used to have: "Ah well, enough about me, let's talk about me..." Some people were so dumb, they didn't get it.

Here's how you get along without having to say much of anything: Find out something about them, (it's not hard, they blab forever, you can find out a lot), ask them a question about it. Make sure it's not a "yes" or "no" type question, make sure it's something they will have to explain, or tell a story about, or that will set them off on a rant of epic proportions.

Now, just tune them out. Periodically you could look over and make eye contact...based on their expression, you will either say, "uh huh...and then what?" or, "go on" or, "OMG! Are you serious!? WHAT?!" (This last one is GREAT to keep them going at least another 10 minutes. In this 10 minutes, you tune them out again and continue on with your work.)

Guess what? They will think you are the most interesting person there. Why? Because they spent their entire shift talking about themselves as a result of YOU being there. It's some psychological thing...play it.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:

I am not one to share a lot about my personal life either...so I keep it to neutral topics. My husband's ex is a nightmare (but nothing specific just funny anecdotes) or holiday plans, or when I was planning my wedding, some of the funnier things that happened (my husband's sister suggested we spend our wedding night in a tent in her front yard, my coworkers heard this story) and my saga with the stupid DMV was a good one too...as telling things like this are personal without getting into personal habits, etc. Basically, I can tell them about my day without telling them things that would be inappropriate with people I have never met.

I always make sure to say good morning to each person when I come in (I am the last in usually as I am the person in the office until we close for the day, some nights on my own) so I say hello to 4-5 people and am done.

Other than this, I do not really involve myself in conversations, but I let people tell me their stories...seems to work.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,205 times
I love to talk, but I feel increasingly that people like to listen to your personal stuff and then use it against you. I have had this happen a few times. All it took was to have different beliefs than the status qo and I became a target. I have to work on keeping my trap shut!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:

You don't have to reveal any personal information but not socializing will make you look very weird.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
I go through that all the time. I don't go to work to socialize; I go there to do my job. Yes, I am cordial with everyone, but I wasn't hired to keep my co-workers entertained.

When people ask "Why are you so quiet?", say "Gee, that's funny, I was about to ask you why you talk so much!"

Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I go through that all the time. I don't go to work to socialize; I go there to do my job. Yes, I am cordial with everyone, but I wasn't hired to keep my co-workers entertained.

When people ask "Why are you so quiet?", say "Gee, that's funny, I was about to ask you why you talk so much!"

If you are being asked that question then it sounds like you have a problem

Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you are being asked that question then it sounds like you have a problem
Did you read the OP's post and link?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Did you read the OP's post and link?

I didn't open the link but I guess that was something inside of it. I thought you were saying that you have been asked that at work LOL

Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You don't have to reveal any personal information but not socializing will make you look very weird.
I agree with this.

It's hard for me to stay to myself in my new job since our office is pretty small and it's easy to hear everyone's conversations. On the one hand, I have quite a bit in which I can relate to my co-workers. They hang out every Friday after work and I went for the first time this past Friday and it was a good time. On the other hand, I know how co-workers can use information against you, so I am sure to keep conversations light and let them talk more than I do.

At the same time, there is one guy at my office who rarely says much. He says hello and is friendly. He and I speak and I like his soft-spoken nature. I only just learned that we both had the same kind of dog. He isn't any less respected or considered an outcast. People seem to respect him for who he is.

Guess it comes down a person's work environment and the co-workers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment