Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,007,515 times

Advertisements

Top jobs for psychopaths:

1. CEO - No surprise. Just think of all the horror stories you've read from Appleheads who slaved for Steve Jobs
2. Lawyer - goes without saying
3. Media (TV/radio) - Hollywood actors are definitely psychotic
4. Salesperson - LoL "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?"
5. Surgeon -
6. Journalist - Rofl of course
7. Police officer - see Lawyers
8. Clergyperson -
9. Chef - I've learned about psycho chefs from reading Anthony Bourdain's book and watching Gordon Ramsay's cooking shows
10. Civil servant - hum

Least likely professions for psychopaths:

1. Care aide
2. Nurse

3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant

I disagree with the bolded parts. There are too many stories about nurses/aids/doctors who rape or kill elderly or unconscious patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,960,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I tend to agree.

Psychopaths aren't really social either though. In fact, they're the opposite of social (Psychopathy is also known as Anti-Social Personality Disorder). They only pull the strings of people around them long enough to achieve their goal (which can include using wit and charm on them), then they toss the people around them to the wayside like trash with no concern of how much they've misused/abused them. Truly social people, on the other hand, actually care about people and their feelings, at least in theory.

Doctors and Nurses, in theory, want to help people no matter what sacrifices they make personally. So they wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath. Accountants tend to be very non-confrontational and aren't very complicated (just let them count their numbers and enjoy their money). They just don't care either way. So they also wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath.

But again, the list in the OP doesn't show that "CEOs are Psychopaths and Doctors are not Psychopaths", rather it shows what occupations Psychopath tend to be most attracted to.
I think doctors and nursing would be a field that psychopaths would be attracted to. The most dangerous psychopaths I've encountered in my life have been a doctor and a nurse. Your description of a psychopath is dead-on and truly describes both the doctor and nurse I dealt with perfectly.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,960,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually disagree with the fact that nurses, teachers and therapists are not psychopaths. Psychopaths crave power and control over others...those three professions give a person, especially a woman, female psychopaths, an outlet for that need to dominate and control others....think Nurse Rachet, in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Believe me, I have worked in both the medical and educational field...I have seen things that were beyond belief. But, psychopaths cover themselves well...

An example, a teacher singled out one child in her classroom...constantly bullied that child. She choose a weak target, with a working single Mother...who barely had time for the child. This child was given poor grades. Always targeted for something...put in time out, out in the hall...and the teacher always had reasons why this child was causing trouble...

Another example...a Social Worker, she worked for CPS. She often faked her paperwork, to show she worked more than she actually did. She was cruel to a minority unwed Mother, wrote a report and had the woman's children put in foster care...all because she could. There are grey areas in CPS, where you look to make the kids safe...but also provide support for a struggling parent...this worker took bribes to look the other way from affluent people, and was harsh with women on welfare....nice. But....she covered herself very well...no proof....and when she was confronted with a lot of issues, she quit, before being fired. They let her go away quietly....because they did not want publicity.

Those are just two examples I know of personally...I think a man wrote that article....men don't like to acknowledge female psychopaths....
Key point: psychopaths cover themselves well. Yes they do; it is constant manipulation. Psychos I would believe are pretty smart people since they know how to cover themselves so well.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,065,149 times
Why no.7 (The police) ?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,633,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Agree 1,000%. It is a coping mechanism and it works well for most. I don't care as long as they do their job well.

I was in a hurry this morning....police yes they are the same...however, I knew a few (maybe three) who are worse then the criminals...however, did the work make them this way or were they this way to begin with? Yes this subject was part of my thesis which I never finished.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,636,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Top jobs for psychopaths:

1. CEO - No surprise. Just think of all the horror stories you've read from Appleheads who slaved for Steve Jobs
2. Lawyer - goes without saying
3. Media (TV/radio) - Hollywood actors are definitely psychotic
4. Salesperson - LoL "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?"
5. Surgeon -
6. Journalist - Rofl of course
7. Police officer - see Lawyers
8. Clergyperson -
9. Chef - I've learned about psycho chefs from reading Anthony Bourdain's book and watching Gordon Ramsay's cooking shows
10. Civil servant - hum

Least likely professions for psychopaths:

1. Care aide
2. Nurse
3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant

I disagree with the bolded parts. There are too many stories about nurses/aids/doctors who rape or kill elderly or unconscious patients.

It's not about killing. It's about liking to see people suffer and destroying them mentally.

Most psychopaths are not killers or wouldn't want to even consider doing that. They're just ruthless people who love to see others squirm for not admiring them.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,065,149 times
I dont admire or respect any of the people who work those 10 jobs that attract the psychopaths.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,433,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why no.7 (The police) ?
All you have to do is work with police officers on a daily basis to see how thin the line is between officers and criminals. It is even thinner between prison guards and prisoners.

Psychopaths like control. And respect. They crave being able to manipulate others....ever see a police interrogation?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,336,169 times
Military

Let's be honest. We know the kid who joins the Navy to pursue a scholarship. Then we know the kid who joins the marines because they enjoy weapons and want to kill people.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,608,822 times
I completely disagree with doctors being on the bottom ten. Money, status and control seem to be just as big of a motivator in drawing people to the field as genuinely wanting to help people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment