Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,751,376 times

Advertisements

No surprises in this list, especially the top answer...

News.com.au | News Online from Australia and the World | NewsComAu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No surprises in this list, especially the top answer...

News.com.au | News Online from Australia and the World | NewsComAu
Professions that attract the most psychopaths | News.com.au

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
I actually disagree with the fact that nurses, teachers and therapists are not psychopaths. Psychopaths crave power and control over others...those three professions give a person, especially a woman, female psychopaths, an outlet for that need to dominate and control others....think Nurse Rachet, in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Believe me, I have worked in both the medical and educational field...I have seen things that were beyond belief. But, psychopaths cover themselves well...

An example, a teacher singled out one child in her classroom...constantly bullied that child. She choose a weak target, with a working single Mother...who barely had time for the child. This child was given poor grades. Always targeted for something...put in time out, out in the hall...and the teacher always had reasons why this child was causing trouble...

Another example...a Social Worker, she worked for CPS. She often faked her paperwork, to show she worked more than she actually did. She was cruel to a minority unwed Mother, wrote a report and had the woman's children put in foster care...all because she could. There are grey areas in CPS, where you look to make the kids safe...but also provide support for a struggling parent...this worker took bribes to look the other way from affluent people, and was harsh with women on welfare....nice. But....she covered herself very well...no proof....and when she was confronted with a lot of issues, she quit, before being fired. They let her go away quietly....because they did not want publicity.

Those are just two examples I know of personally...I think a man wrote that article....men don't like to acknowledge female psychopaths....

Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,661 times
I just skimmed the article, but based on the idea of careers being divorced from feelings being prime pickings for psychopaths and then to list doctor and accountant in the second more empathic list, doesn't really jibe. How touchy-feeling is accounting? There are plenty of doctors with psychopathic personalities. I worked with many attorneys and can see why that one's on the list.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Just to note, the list shows jobs Psychopaths are most attracted to, not how many people of each profession are Psychopaths.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times
Accountants are in the "least likely to be psychopaths" list? Pfft... not at the jobs I've had.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
How touchy-feeling is accounting?

I try. But HR keeps tell me to keep my hands to myself.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Accountants are in the "least likely to be psychopaths" list? Pfft... not at the jobs I've had.
I work in accounting. Most of the people I have worked with are passive, wimpy, and boring. Not really what I would describe as charming, social, or manipulative people. Not to say they are all great people because they aren't, but, I can't imagine any of them fooling or persuading people with charm. Socially they just aren't sophisticated enough to really pull one over with their charm alone and they are too wimpy and passive to be confrontational or aggressively go after somebody.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I work in accounting. Most of the people I have worked with are passive, wimpy, and boring. Not really what I would describe as charming, social, or manipulative people. Not to say they are all great people because they aren't, but, I can't imagine any of them fooling or persuading people with charm. Socially they just aren't sophisticated enough to really pull one over with their charm alone and they are too wimpy and passive to be confrontational or aggressively go after somebody.
I tend to agree.

Psychopaths aren't really social either though. In fact, they're the opposite of social (Psychopathy is also known as Anti-Social Personality Disorder). They only pull the strings of people around them long enough to achieve their goal (which can include using wit and charm on them), then they toss the people around them to the wayside like trash with no concern of how much they've misused/abused them. Truly social people, on the other hand, actually care about people and their feelings, at least in theory.

Doctors and Nurses, in theory, want to help people no matter what sacrifices they make personally. So they wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath. Accountants tend to be very non-confrontational and aren't very complicated (just let them count their numbers and enjoy their money). They just don't care either way. So they also wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath.

But again, the list in the OP doesn't show that "CEOs are Psychopaths and Doctors are not Psychopaths", rather it shows what occupations Psychopath tend to be most attracted to.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I tend to agree.

Psychopaths aren't really social either though. In fact, they're the opposite of social (Psychopathy is also known as Anti-Social Personality Disorder). They only pull the strings of people around them long enough to achieve their goal (which can include using wit and charm on them), then they toss the people around them to the wayside like trash with no concern of how much they've misused/abused them. Truly social people, on the other hand, actually care about people and their feelings, at least in theory.

Doctors and Nurses, in theory, want to help people no matter what sacrifices they make personally. So they wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath. Accountants tend to be very non-confrontational and aren't very complicated (just let them count their numbers and enjoy their money). They just don't care either way. So they also wouldn't fit the definition of a Psychopath.

But again, the list in the OP doesn't show that "CEOs are Psychopaths and Doctors are not Psychopaths", rather it shows what occupations Psychopath tend to be most attracted to.
To my understanding, anti-social behavior doesn't mean you don't socialize or have friends. It means you have no empathy or conscience. I also used to work in sales. I worked with many people who knew how to scam others and make people believe them even when they may have burned the person before. To me, that is social behavior and takes a certain level of sophistication that many people don't have. It has nothing to do with caring for others, but, being able to get over on folks time and time again.

Also, I think anyone who actually believes that everyone in a particular occupation is one way or another is a fool. I don't think anyone assumed all people in certain professions are psychopaths. I used to work in sales and I'm definitely not a psychopath, but, I can see how someone who likes power and control would be attracted to it. It takes a certain skill set to be good at it.

Currently, I work in accounting the personality types are very different and someone who likes to dominate and control wouldn't be happy staring at a computer and pushing paper all day.

Last edited by knt1229; 11-11-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment