Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM

181 posts, read 449,211 times

Advertisements

thebunny, good luck to you, I don't envy your position. If there really is a problem, just make sure he understands that any opinions or ideas people give him he should respect, acknowledge them, and thank them, even if he thinks they're stupid ideas or whatever LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
That's what I am going with. Don't interrupt...preface ideas with "What do you think?" and also with "I am guessing you know this" and see what happens....

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
I really think you need to know the context AND the personalities/history of the people making the complaint.

I have a couple of co-workers who *might* consider me a bit condescending at times. And I can guess exactly why they might think this. Its because despite the fact they've both been working in their jobs for 2+ years, they never seem to learn basic skills and tasks that other people manage to pick up within a few months. So over and over again, I have to give these two instructions and guidance. It gets very tiring. Since I am not their boss, but I am in a position where I have to assign them tasks, I can't really tell them that I am completely fed up with their laziness and incompetence.

So, when they send me yet another email asking how to do something, when I have repeatedly taught them how to do it, they might find some annoyance in my tone of voice and a lack of friendliness. And they may feel that I am condescending to them.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM

This is part of what makes it tough as I really do think that this situation is similar. Sour grapes and condescension seem to be the same thing.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
I hate to say it, but this "conversation" could actually make things worse. You can't give any specific feedback and the employee may just end up upset that people are complaining and he has no idea what he needs to fix.

Your boss doesn't sound like he is very good at his job.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Sometimes he isn't. I think I am just going to ask this employee how he is settling in. Maybe with any luck something will be said that I can use to go to this subject.

Who knows.

I think my boss is trying to spare the new guy but at the same time handle it in case it is a problem.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Can you at least get specific examples of this person's condescending behaviour? What they have actually said to people that has offended them this much? Without anything concrete to go on I don't know how you can approach this properly. To sit someone down and say, "We need to talk about how you can come across less condescending to your co-workers," and then tell the person you have no hard facts or examples to share with them really undermines your case.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I have been given the task in my office to talk to the new guy and let him know that a couple co-workers find him condescending. I am not sure how many or if the "couple" is really 2 or isolated incidents with the same person...

There was also a throw in about him being found to be somewhat cynical...but I can figure out how to coach that easily enough...keep the dry comments to himself. If he stops the "cynical" comments, will this help with the perception of condescending attitude?

We have a pretty big office, but about 20 of us are tucked in the area in the back where it gets noisy. Apparently this person comes across as condescending in conversations with coworkers in this area. I was not given any feedback that any interactions with him in other areas are an issue, just in our small group. I am wondering if maybe he is trying to compensate for the issue by being louder than he needs to be? I am sort of grasping at straws as while I work with him daily, I haven't noticed the issue yet I am supposed to coach him.

I want to be effective in the coaching as at this point it is not going to have any formal documentation with it...it really was more of the boss going through, seeing where he thinks things may be able to be improved, and acting on it.

I guess my questions are as follows...

When someone is being "condescending" what are they doing? How are they speaking? Are they using a lot of words? Explaining more or less than they should be?

Any thoughts would be great as I know what I think is condescending, and this person is not doing any of the things I see as condescending, at least not that I have noticed.

Thanks in advance....
You can't "teach" or "coach" someone not to be a certain way. He will simply have learn on his own.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Here is a reference link Condescending | What is the Definition of Condescending? | Dictionary.com. (sort of condescending for me to post this..lol...not intending it)
What a challenge. Are you the HR?? How did you get picked? I find folks who are condescending to be more attitudinal than anything else. Hard to teach someone about their attitude. I would want to talk to those that have complained and get some real examples of what he said that they consider condescending. Then you'll have an example for him. Or, you will identify the real issue...as others have said...It could be their own perception.

Last edited by JanND; 11-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: text added

Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
My boss won't tell who the complainers were.

If he would this would all be solved.
So you are going on hear say. I would think that you would need to speak to the complaining employees to hear directly from the horses mouth exactly what was said. How can you effectively deal with this with just vague statements? What reason is your boss giving you for not telling you who the complaining employees are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment