Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times

Advertisements

OP What are your interests? What is your degree for? With those two questions answered you could possible get a part time non social job that will help you in your future career than just an overnight stock person at target
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,426 times
I'm not a social butterfly either but the way I can turn on the bull**** during an interview scares me. I'm smiling, making jokes, people are laughing and it's like where did this come from.

When you need to you'll be able to do it. You don't have to stick with whatever job.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 AM

21 posts, read 25,704 times
I have no advice for the OP.Being an introvert myself I am having a hard time finding a career with little people interaction.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
security guard or factory worker

Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM

102 posts, read 311,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I've never been much of a social person, and I've suffered from a lot of social anxiety for many years. If I had to speak in front of a group of people or was nervous, my voice would get high and warbly and I would physically shake. This is something that a lot of people don't know about me to this day.

Then I got a job working at Hooters.

It literally saved my life...killed my social anxiety.
Wow, LOL. Working at Hooters is a far cry from social anxiety. I am NOT socially anxious (probably closer to middle of the road) and I would never consider something like Hooters!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM

244 posts, read 707,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Then why are you going to college?
It was mostly due to the fact that I was pressured by my family and school to go to college. Originally I wanted to take a year off but my parents basically wouldn't allow me to.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
It was mostly due to the fact that I was pressured by my family and school to go to college. Originally I wanted to take a year off but my parents basically wouldn't allow me to.
Wow. I'm not a parent but this is hard to hear. If I ever have a kid, I would hope to God they want to take a year off. Its only then that you work a ****ty job full-time, get treated like ****, and learn how valuable an education and/or trade really is.

That's how it worked for me. When I got out of high school I was arrogant and an idiot to boot. I took time off against my mother's wishes, waited tables, and worked my ASS off to get a degree. I'm still working my ass off to get it.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Yeah I went to college right out of HS, best thing I could do. It was tempting to just leave, but seeing the people I worked was a huge motivation.

Some people can manage and take some time off from school, others don't go back at all. ;/ Do you have any interest(s)?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Yeah I went to college right out of HS, best thing I could do. It was tempting to just leave, but seeing the people I worked was a huge motivation.

Some people can manage and take some time off from school, others don't go back at all. ;/ Do you have any interest(s)?
yeah I'm thinking about doing the same, thing is, my parents are convinced I'll just sit in the house all day and play videogames when they know thats not true. I've applied, gotten internships at major companies and organizations. Worked a full time job over the summer at a respectable organization that is important in my state. They're convinced that if I take a break, I'll just try and drop out. :/

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
OP What are your interests? What is your degree for? With those two questions answered you could possible get a part time non social job that will help you in your future career than just an overnight stock person at target
I'm not too sure what my interests are, many people tell me I have a natural skill at writing but I want a career that enables me to take care of myself. ( I'm not in a relationship, I don't spend a lot on things),typically I just want to make enough where I can take care of myself without my parents help. My parents say I should study journalism but hello? That's not a career field where I can take care of myself. I feel extremely pressured right now to find a career or a career path that fits me. All I know is

1. I'm good at writing, I'm also a hard worker and I do my best in any type of work environment ( even if I don
't like it.)
2. I prefer working alone, possibly by myself. (Jobs that come to mind are Truck driver, stay-at-home jobs such at medical coding and billing).
3. If I graduate from college, I'm thinking about leaving NYC, it's too expensive in most of the boroughs to live here especially in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment