Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm not too sure what my interests are, many people tell me I have a natural skill at writing but I want a career that enables me to take care of myself. ( I'm not in a relationship, I don't spend a lot on things),typically I just want to make enough where I can take care of myself without my parents help. My parents say I should study journalism but hello? That's not a career field where I can take care of myself. I feel extremely pressured right now to find a career or a career path that fits me. All I know is

1. I'm good at writing, I'm also a hard worker and I do my best in any type of work environment ( even if I don
't like it.)
2. I prefer working alone, possibly by myself. (Jobs that come to mind are Truck driver, stay-at-home jobs such at medical coding and billing).
3. If I graduate from college, I'm thinking about leaving NYC, it's too expensive in most of the boroughs to live here especially in this economy.
If you are such a hard worker than creating a blog on something of interest to you shouldn't be too bad. Once you get going on that you can then move up to a more noticable blog, and then after that get picked up by an internet website. You can take care of the first 2 steps while being in college.

A career path like that can be done remotely and rarely have to worry about dealing with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm a 21 year old college student, looking for a part-time job. To be completely honest I am not a social butterfly, more or less, I'm mostly quiet when it comes to being in social environments. I am able to socialize with people but I open up to very few in general. Being in an environment with lots of people stresses me, sometimes to the point where I start to feel sick (this happens a lot in college). Jobs that I'm currently applying to our mostly overnight stocker positions or jobs that don't require much social interaction. Can anyone help or give me any ideas from personal experiences on jobs that are like this? Thanks a lot.

stock room type stuff is good. Target has this sort of job where you would not have to do it over night. FedEx has early hours for loading trucks.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
Yeah warehousing/construction.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
I'm almost 40. It only gets worse. I have a feeling deep down this is going to be the last job I ever work.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM

323 posts, read 941,230 times
Take a look at janitor work. I used to do a Work Study Janitor job in college and despite the fact that cleaning toilets was part of it, I actually enjoyed it otherwise. Mostly because I didn't have to ask anyone if they wanted fries with that or kiss their ***** to help them find something that was on the other side of the same isle they were in. My job duties and the flow of my day was generally predictable, and it let you fall into a good rhythm. I also liked the fact that it gave me plenty of time to think, especially because I was doing mindless, repetitive tasks. You may be able to find either an overnight or evening position where you are going in after businesses close and cleaning the place on your own even.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 20,340 times
redhead360,

Stay in school! I know I replied earlier with some blue collar careers, but that's what I've done, and I regret it! You mentioned writing, well that can easily be a solo career. Like another poster stated, you can start a blog, eventually get your own website (you can sell advertisements), or become sponsered on someone elses. Computers is also in that same arena, such network administrator or software engineer. A college degree will be necessary for all the aforementioned!

Better yet, I can tell you how to conquer your anxieties. Use compassion. For yourself and those near to you.

My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment