Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times

Advertisements

Went to a four hour orientation for a seasonal package helper at UPS in Louisville. A couple of days later I got offered another permanent part-time job so I took it. UPS still called me to go out on a run even though I told them I quit the second I took the other job. The boss was furious. Forget about getting rehired there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Maybe a week working as a Thrifty's stock guy in high school. I was the guy who served the ice cream (One for the customer, one for me, one for the customer, one for me, etc.)

Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 12,808,660 times
I had two temp jobs that I only stayed on for two weeks.

1) Walden Books distribution center. I was told it was a "Two week assignment" by the temp service and it being my first temp job I took that at face value. I went for two weeks and then stopped. They got upset about it The place sucked- you had to ASK to go to the bathroom and they made you take your break in the cafeteria.

2) Parthenon steel tube factory. It was the most pathetic job. I spent 10 to 12 hours a night in a hot factory in the middle of a Tennessee summer sticking small tubes into bigger tubes. I told one of the guys I was only going to be there two weeks and he said " They will hire you full time after 90 days" as if it was something I would want.... They paid their full timers 9.00 an hour.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,468,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
I have a real job, but for extra money, I took on another job at a supermarket for extra spending money. I hated it from day one; low pay, I had an ass for a boss (he was the manager, not the owner), the job they gave me was boring and most of the people I worked with were ignorant, gossipy morons. Reminded me of high school all over again. I gave my assy boss my two weeks notice, and he told me that I couldn't get the job back if I did that, so I told him "I don't care, because I never want to step foot in this s***hole ever again." He then told me to leave immediately; which was good since I didn't have to endure 2 more weeks of that tyrant. I was only there for two months.

What's the shortest job you ever had?
That was a juvenile, unprofessional and immature on your part. With time, you will hopefully learn never talk like that, no matter how you feel. In the future, you may meet the manager in another situation. Keeping good relations with all working places is a part of your future networking.
As for your question: my shortest job was being hired and asked to start Monday morning. When I got there, the doors were closed and the company bankrupt.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
That was a juvenile, unprofessional and immature on your part. With time, you will hopefully learn never talk like that, no matter how you feel. In the future, you may meet the manager in another situation. Keeping good relations with all working places is a part of your future networking.
As for your question: my shortest job was being hired and asked to start Monday morning. When I got there, the doors were closed and the company bankrupt.
That doesn't count,you never started...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,333 times
I had a temp job this summer for only 4 weeks.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Two weeks working for a local veterinarian when I was 16. My duties were mostly operating the decompression chamber to kill unwanted puppies (people have no idea how many of these animals are put to death on a regular basis), removing the piles of little bodies, and incinerating them. I almost lost my mind. I had to quit.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,386,826 times
My shortest job ever was probably an hour and a half, and I didn't quit, I was fired.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,778 times
Like, 5 hours. Was also at a supermarket. Was told it was one thing, turned out to be something else entirely for less pay. I just stopped showing up.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,421 times
Three months at McDonald's. It was my first job and I hated it. Rude customers, jealous managers, the place was crazy. My brother, on the other hand, lasted a grand ten months. Props to the kid.

I also worked at a temp agency. I only got a few jobs over the span of six months. It was awful. Ugh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment