Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM

990 posts, read 940,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
I have a real job, but for extra money, I took on another job at a supermarket for extra spending money. I hated it from day one; low pay, I had an ass for a boss (he was the manager, not the owner), the job they gave me was boring and most of the people I worked with were ignorant, gossipy morons. Reminded me of high school all over again. I gave my assy boss my two weeks notice, and he told me that I couldn't get the job back if I did that, so I told him "I don't care, because I never want to step foot in this s***hole ever again." He then told me to leave immediately; which was good since I didn't have to endure 2 more weeks of that tyrant. I was only there for two months.

What's the shortest job you ever had?
I was away at school and my best friend back home had gotten a job at Abercrombie & Fitch. I called up his manager and arranged for a job for myself when I got home. On my first day...two hours into my first shift, my friend gets into an argument with the manager on the sales floor and quits on the spot. He leaves and gives me a look like "dude, you should quit too" but I was a bit too scared to do it at that point. However, two hours later I realized why he quit and I quit too.

They paid $6/hr, but required you to wear all Abercrombie, all the time. Working 5 days a week would mean that I'd have to spend about $250 to get outfitted. And the manager was a complete moron.

I then called up J.Crew and got a job which paid 55% better, had better benefits (got a paid hour of lunch and far better discounts) and didn't require me to spend a dime on their clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,209 times
About two hours at a crazy restaurant. I had plenty of other options, so I left on my break. The kitchen manager was screaming at everyone, it was extremely busy, and everyone seemed unhappy. So, between the servers talking down to me, as well as the kitchen manager, I walked out.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM

3,933 posts, read 6,846,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
My shortest job ever was probably an hour and a half, and I didn't quit, I was fired.
How do you get fired in an hour and a half?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM

25,974 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Two hours. I put in for clerical help on a military base as summer employment about two months long. I arrived to learn that I would be wearing heavy rain gear while recording data inside of an Army tank going across the fields. I was an adult in my mid-30's with two kids, two dogs, two cats and a husband that worked 3rd shift not to mention someone with a dislike of small enclosed spaces and a tendency toward motion sickness. They encouraged anyone who didn't think they could cut it to step down on day 1 and I took them up on it!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
I have done it several times: Election Judge, one day.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,427,463 times
Two days contract work.

However the shortest I believe, was one and a half days at the local Co-op when I was 15 years old. I dropped a bottle of coke on the floor, which exploded all over customers, the I ate a bunch of food in the stockroom when I got bored. Obviously this would not happen today. I am not a stupid teenager any more. Clearly, I got sent home from that job on that day, and no longer worked there.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,089 times
2 1/2 days. It went like this: Day 1 - Orientation. Day 2 - (1st half) completed orientation. (2nd half) started training class for position. Day 3 (1st half) - continuation of training, started working on the software for the position.

This sounds tolerable, right? WRONG!!!

Let's go back to Day 2, 2nd half. In the computer classroom. There are approximately 20 of us in the class. The instructor begins by saying, "Next to your keyboard is what is called the mouse. Place your hand on the mouse and by moving it, you will see the cursor, the small black line on the screen, move. This is how you will get from one area to another on the computer."

It was at this point that I thought my head was going to explode. But, I wanted this job very much and had waited for years to have the opportunity to work at this company. So, I said to myself, "I'll endure this PC 101 "training" for now and hopefully, it'll be better tomorrow." Well.....it wasn't.

Day 3, 1st half: Pretty much a continuation of the previous afternoon. It was MIND NUMBINGLY boring and I could not believe that this company, whose reputation for outstanding customer service, would actually HIRE someone for a CSR position that was so totally computer illiterate that the instructors would have to start with Personal Computers day one from the 1980's in order to get someone acquainted with a mouse and it's function!

By lunchtime, I'd had enough. I was looking at 6 more weeks of this. So, I left at lunch, called the instructor from my car and told him that I was sorry and that I didn't feel I was cut out for this type of work. I didn't quit because I couldn't handle the job. I quit because I felt completely out of my element, or my comfort zone. I was ready to work, not for someone to tell me how to manipulate a mouse. That was not the job for me.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
Years ago my first job was at a book binder operation...I went out to my car at break and drove off.
Apparently this happened quiet a bit.
Book binder where you took signatures and put them together in a Dexter macine?

Do they still do that?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,421 times
My shortest job was a six hour temp job doing inventory for a local scrapbook store. It was okay but I don't think I would have wanted to work there long term. I had a weirdo on the same assignment that worked next to me while we were doing inventory and he was a few years older than me. Apparently he was a former Disney World employee who came up here to the Dakotas because he was 'scared' of Disney. Ohh yeah, Mickey and Minnie Mouse are scary, LOL. And he also was some RPG/Dungeons and Dragons online junkie and kept harping about that along with how he attended culinary school and blabbed on about protein and cooking and how he also wanted to be an astronaut when he was in Florida. So...given the way the owner was, if she was going to hire me for a regular job at her store she'd probably also hire this guy and I didn't want to spend my workday with Mr Dark Warlock/Psycho Cook/Cuckoo Spaceman from Disneyland...ughhh.

My sister has the record for the shortest job in the family. She worked I think two hours at the local Wendys here and she told me she walked out after they showed her how to work the trash can. I guess trash can technology is pretty complicated at Wendys but given how stupid that place is I wouldn't be surprised if half the **** there is screwed up (they still can't figure out how to work the ice cream machine hahaha).

Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
I have a real job, but for extra money, I took on another job at a supermarket for extra spending money. I hated it from day one; low pay, I had an ass for a boss (he was the manager, not the owner), the job they gave me was boring and most of the people I worked with were ignorant, gossipy morons. Reminded me of high school all over again. I gave my assy boss my two weeks notice, and he told me that I couldn't get the job back if I did that, so I told him "I don't care, because I never want to step foot in this s***hole ever again." He then told me to leave immediately; which was good since I didn't have to endure 2 more weeks of that tyrant. I was only there for two months.

What's the shortest job you ever had?
I had a full time job working for company that did the surveying and inspecting the work of contractors who performed roadway construction.

I felt the pay was inadequate. So I got a part-time job working for Fed EX. It was a long drive for me to get there.

So the first day was orientation and Fed EX anti-union propaganda. The next day we were put with an experienced worker and showed how to load up a truck.

The third day I was by myself supposedly loading a truck. We were expected to load 750 boxes an hour I think. Those boxes started coming down that conveyor belt and stuff started to pile up. And in that moment I thought to myself, I have a full time job, my bills are paid. F c k this.

I just left. So I lasted 3 days. I have a lot of respect for the people who get our shyt from point A to our homes. It is hard work. I

rarely order stuff next day because I always think of those workers busting their butts to get me my meaningless stuff. Hell if it took a month to get the thing and the workers were treated better, I'd much prefer that outcome.

I have to give it to Fed EX though because of the messed up way I left, I was not expecting to get paid, but they mailed me a check for 3 days of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment