Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,236,227 times

Advertisements

"Sales" when I was a teenager. I was told I would be taking INCOMING orders from existing clients. I get to work on day 1 and find out I'd be cold-calling new, "potential" customers. I said "So, I'm a telemarketer?" The supervisor, who was maybe 2 years older than me says "basically". I left right then and there. Worked for maybe 20 minutes. I have NO problem with someone having an honest job, but at the time, my main job was working for the family business. I didn't need this part-time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,605,852 times
I had a part-time cashier job at a restaurant while I was a senior in high school. One week later after I started, the place suddenly closed down and went out of business.

Oh well, I didn't like the job anyway...especially my boss.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,808,592 times
Shortest time at a job? I lasted 3 months at Applebee's as a dishwasher busting my ass making 7 bucks an hour. Got hurt one night, banged my knee really bad into the trash dump outside and couldn't stand on it. I was out there in the cold for about 15 minutes near the trash dump because I could barely walk, and the manager came outside and asked why I was taking so long as dishes were piling up. I told him what happened and said I can't stand up and do my job right now, I think I need to take a break for a little bit. So, he walked back in all pissed off and I sat there waiting for the pain to go away enough to walk and stand again, but the pain was too bad to complete my shift. I limped my way past the piled up dishes to tell him I needed to see a doctor or go home, and he said I couldn't and I would have to complete my shift. I said, there's no way I can do that right now. He was really red faced and mad and walked away thinking I was kidding or something about the pain in my knee, but I ended up leaving and waited for 30 minutes outside for my ride. I never went back to that job. I was only 18 and had no idea about how workman's comp actually worked. I basically thought since I walked out without doing my shift that I was fired because I had never been in that situation before. That was the end of my time at Applebee's. Now I look back and wished I had someone to tell me about how workman's comp worked and that I shouldn't have been intimidated by the anger of the manager just because he was pissed that he had no dishwasher to finish the shift. That was then and this is now, I have always learned things the hard way in life because nobody really cared to show me certain things. This may be a factor as to why I am currently behind where society expects me to be at 34 years old along with various other factors.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,428,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
"Sales" when I was a teenager. I was told I would be taking INCOMING orders from existing clients. I get to work on day 1 and find out I'd be cold-calling new, "potential" customers. I said "So, I'm a telemarketer?" The supervisor, who was maybe 2 years older than me says "basically". I left right then and there. Worked for maybe 20 minutes. I have NO problem with someone having an honest job, but at the time, my main job was working for the family business. I didn't need this part-time job.
Sounds like telemarketing companies lie to people a lot about what the jobs actually entail.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,761,615 times
When I was 18, I got a job at a factory, picking out of various bins and cubbies to fulfill mail orders. Eight hours, a half hour lunch and two ten-minute breaks in case you had to use the bathroom. It was mind-numbing.

I lasted three days before I quit.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM

266 posts, read 404,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
2 hours. Waitress, Japanese restaurant. The head waiter told me to collect the ashtrays, but he had a heavy accent and it sounded just like "correct the ashtrays," so I went around and just straightened all the ashtrays a little. They gave me 2 hours pay and sent me on my way.
LMAOOO!!! No way...

Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,780,030 times
I had a string of 1-2 day jobs in high school/college that I quit after realizing how crappy they were and my time would be better spent on school work:

Pizza delivery driver - 1 day
Target - 1 day
Chain Auto repair store - 2 days
Chain Auto repair store - 14 days
Gas station attendent - 2 days
Travelers check distrubutor - 2 days
Friendlys Diner - stayed for the 2 hour training video

Some others I forgot about. I did work a job for the entire summer every year in school until I eventually found a job that I could work around my schedule and still make a decent buck, but it wasn't an easy job, and killed my back.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,393,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
How do you get fired in an hour and a half?
I think they figured it would take too long to train me to do their data entry, which was alot more tedious for me to work on then it was hard for them to teach me. I got the job on my friend's recommendation as well. He did freelance work for them. I wasn't just some schmoe they hired off the street.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM

248 posts, read 342,600 times
About two hours; I took a job as a secretary for a local, very well known and supposedly respected eye doctor. He called me into his office after a bit (I thought to go over my duties) and proceeded to start telling me some of the filthiest 'jokes' I'd ever heard. I'm no prude but this was so incredibly off-putting, (and probably legally actionable) that I turned right around, told the other people in the office I was leaving and that was that.

I have no idea why anyone would work for him under the circumstances. Just for the record, I'm an average looking female and this has never happened before or since to me... I was convinced after thinking about it for a while that he was in the beginning stages of dementia; that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM

248 posts, read 342,600 times
I've read that Lily Tomlin once quit a secretarial job by 'going to the bathroom'.

This knowledge gives me hope

I think everyone should know that they can quit a job and nothing will happen (provided your basic needs are taken care of, another issue entirely, I know...)

I told my kids when they first went looking for jobs that; I didn't want them to think they needed to stay if they were being abused or whatever. Like in school, if you put up with a bully, it takes a toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment