Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Most cops make a hell of a lot more than 50k in most parts of CA. Many make well over $100k with overtime some even make over $200k. The average pension for a retiring CHP (California Highway Patrol ) is currently $96k per yer.
COL... I'm sure with OT, many do pretty decent in CA. Their COL is quite a bit higher than Detroit, where police officers start at about 32K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Pilots are on there for being overpaid... yet athletes aren't ... hmm
I don't know a single commercial pilot that makes more than 50k a year. Not one. I do know a few private pilots that make around 80k, but that's a pretty cush job. As for everything being 'automated' that's a bunch of bull, and the fact is that if you make a mistake (one that doesn't hurt anyone, like filling out paperwork incorrectly) you can lose your license and your livelihood and possibly go to prison.

I get sick of people thinking pilots have it so easy, it's a much more difficult job than most people think.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
My opinion is that there are two classes of professionals. There are those that create real value and those that manipulate perceived value. Production workers, engineers, service professionals, etc. all create real value by designing/producing things, and performing valuable services. The manipulators are people like businessmen, marketers, stock traders etc. These people simply manufacture imaginary value so that the business can profit off of it.

Nearly all value creators are underpaid for their contributions and nearly all value manipulators are overpaid. That's my two cents.
Garfunkle nailed it right on the head! Great post---love how concise and true this is!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
This is based more on perception (and of course my own bias) than anything, but here are a few jobs I believe are under and overpaid:

Underpaid
Teachers
Firefighters and EMTs
Soldiers
Nurses and other caregivers
...actually 90% of the population are underpaid compared to executives

Overpaid
Athletes
Celebrities of all sorts
CEOs & other execs
Politicians
Actuaries
Lawyers of all sorts
...too many to list

Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
"That is why most companies depend on the marketing sales people. " yeah makes sense, that is why every time there is an economic hiccup, they cut all the marketing staff. Makes NO sense whatsoever. But companies are very shortsighted. This has happened to me 3x.

Overpaid: whiney athletes for sure. Most people will agree.
Underpaid: soldiers

Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I don't see how pilots are overpaid. They are responsible for the safety of everyone on board, or the cargo on a freight run, and have to fly all around the country. They may not get home for weeks. My nomination for overpaid includes school superintendent. No dealing with the kids or having to run for election. Great pay, $100-250k not unusual, retirement at 55. Underpaid: cab driver. Often dangerous, you need to know every street in the city and pay often less than minimum wage. Multilevel marketers also earn on average below minimum wage, but their work has minimal benefit to society.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
I'd like to maybe do meteorology,but I'm not really the straight-laced type they expect

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
This is based more on perception (and of course my own bias) than anything, but here are a few jobs I believe are under and overpaid:

Underpaid
Teachers
Firefighters and EMTs
Soldiers
Nurses and other caregivers
...actually 90% of the population are underpaid compared to executives

Overpaid
Athletes
Celebrities of all sorts
CEOs & other execs
Politicians
Actuaries
Lawyers
of all sorts
...too many to list
All those and ESPECIALLY the ones in BOLD!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't see how pilots are overpaid. They are responsible for the safety of everyone on board, or the cargo on a freight run, and have to fly all around the country. They may not get home for weeks. My nomination for overpaid includes school superintendent. No dealing with the kids or having to run for election. Great pay, $100-250k not unusual, retirement at 55. Underpaid: cab driver. Often dangerous, you need to know every street in the city and pay often less than minimum wage. Multilevel marketers also earn on average below minimum wage, but their work has minimal benefit to society.
I agree with this. Pilots AND Flight Attendants are not overpaid. Well, F/A's really don't make THAT much, but considering the responsibility they have on their shoulders as soon as the plane takes off until it lands, some folks couldn't deal with that pressure. Especially post-9/11.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Most overpaid position I know of: Politicians, especially the clowns in DC (they get better health benefits than most of Corporate America!). Seriously, some of these guys are getting mountains of money from somewhere...how else can they afford these crazy homes and such!

Most underpaid position: I'd say being a teacher since most teachers don't get paid crap for the amount of crap they put up with. Most teachers here in my city don't get paid more than $15000 - $18000 for a 9 month stint. Even in the unionized districts teachers get **** on by the unions since the unions gouge them for dues then the district dumps their problems on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment