Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
CEOs are the most over-paid by far.

The head of a typical public company made $9.6 million in 2011, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

And many CEOs make much more --- 2011 compensation for the CEOs of: : Wells Fargo $17.9 million---- Ford $29.5 million---- Verizon $23 million----Exxon $25 million.

In my opinion under-paid: janitors and cleaners, fast-food workers, child-care workers.

Average CEO Pay 2011 Nearly $10 Million At Public Companies: AP Study

Fortune 500 2012 - CEO pay vs. our salaries - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Janitors are overpaid.

Many janitors that work for NYC get paid over $140,000. Janitors that work for high class luxury buildings get paid as much as $200,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,511,983 times
The person who wrote this bunch of junk needs to be fired ! ! ! ...

Who in their right mind would want to know if they were being overpaid ? ? ? ...

If they say you are and you need to work for less ............. ... ...

Who hires these dumb writers that are not even worth minim wage ? ? ? ...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
[/b]

I don't believe it ---- do you have a source for that?
you don't believe me that the typical IB employee works 80-100 hours a week? the 1 mil a year was just a number I threw out there but the hours worked is not. I could only imagine that the hours worked are getting worse due to layoffs in IB but needing to get the same amount of work done.

http://www.ibankingfaq.com/category/banking-lifestyle/

I can click the next few links of a google search of "typical investment banker hours" to give you more.

edit: found the break down link of hours worked http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...ies-mcdonalds/

Last edited by skinnayyy; 11-21-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,270,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Teachers making 15k-18k a year? Um, no! Try like 35k to start and it goes up from there. Plus all that time off like someone else said, definitely overpaid. Concur with firemen being overpaid. City cops and EMTs, underpaid. Highway Patrolmen, hugely overpaid (what do they honestly do that sheriffs and city cops couldn't handle?) Tenured college professors, overpaid. Part time college profs are underpaid. Congress underpaid, federal judges overpaid. Every single water department person in the country is overpaid by their entire salary and my job is of course underpaid.
I was under the impression that most college profs don't earn much (<100k) tenured or not. Ime in the sciences in grad school they're doing far more than teaching. While some have their eye on the patent prize, many just publish and add to the body of knowledge. My adviser wasn't using his grant money as income and the work we were doing was going on 7 days a week, all day/night.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I was under the impression that most college profs don't earn much (<100k) tenured or not. Ime in the sciences in grad school they're doing far more than teaching. While some have their eye on the patent prize, many just publish and add to the body of knowledge. My adviser wasn't using his grant money as income and the work we were doing was going on 7 days a week, all day/night.
Most professors in sciences have a handful of patents and several papers published by 10 years of service. I can tell you that the tenured professors I work with make $160k+ in salary.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I used to work at a credit union that was at the college I went to, and a professor of mine came in to do business. So of course I was sneaky and wanted to see how much he made, and after taxes, and deductions, just what was going to this account was 125k. And he was just an assistant or associate (i forget) professor, not a full on tenured professor.

This was a computer science professor as well in case that makes a difference.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most professors in sciences have a handful of patents and several papers published by 10 years of service. I can tell you that the tenured professors I work with make $160k+ in salary.
Some do, but the median is far lower. I found the average here for '06.

Average pay: $81,491
MONEY Magazine's Best Jobs: College professor

Again, not everyone is developing patents. It is what it is. Adding to the body of scientific knowledge isn't always going to bring in the bacon.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I used to work at a credit union that was at the college I went to, and a professor of mine came in to do business. So of course I was sneaky and wanted to see how much he made, and after taxes, and deductions, just what was going to this account was 125k. And he was just an assistant or associate (i forget) professor, not a full on tenured professor.

This was a computer science professor as well in case that makes a difference.
I posted a link above. Some certainly make far more. I'm sure the prof's at Ivy's 1&2 tier schools are making way more than the majority at 3r & 4th tier schools. I'm surprised that you guys think these numbers reflect across the board.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-tra...y-teachers.htm
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5220905_av...professor.html

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I posted a link above. Some certainly make far more. I'm sure the prof's at Ivy's 1&2 tier schools are making way more than the majority at 3r & 4th tier schools. I'm surprised that you guys think these numbers reflect across the board.

Postsecondary Teachers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Average Salary of a College Professor | eHow.com
my school is a local university. Costs under 400/credit hour for in state tuition. It's not exactly a big school at all. That's why I'd be surprised that any college professor wouldn't make 6 figures.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
my school is a local university. Costs under 400/credit hour for in state tuition. It's not exactly a big school at all. That's why I'd be surprised that any college professor wouldn't make 6 figures.
Maybe they all eventually do, but given the numbers I've seen it doesn't seem to happen. The BLS is somewhat reliable. Glass door would probably give some insight as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment