Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,594,594 times

Advertisements

I currently work part time as a produce clerk at a local grocery store. My recent evaluation was the highest I could receive in terms of a raise, I am also trained as a cashier, courtesy clerk, deli clerk, meat clerk and stock clerk

Since returning to this company (worked for them previously from 2008-2010, left due to relocation and returned home after father passed away, company was happy to rehire me) in March of this year, I have averaged over 32 hours a week, closer to 35 actually and my paychecks are decent in that they aren't much but my bills are paid and there is food in my stomach

My store manager really likes me and has explicitly told me so various times, and even said the eventual plan was to make me full time but now he is transferring to a different store, the one I worked at the first time from 08-10. I do not want to transfer even though it is closer to home because certain hourly employees do not want me working there

My managers also know I have a strong desire to move up in the company and make it my career (which was my plan back in 2008, after losing my father I decided to pick up where I left off with this company)

Since I am going to have a new boss I am not sure what to do. The company is starting to jerk me around on hours (saying I work to many, and that my average is too high and how corporate is giving them an earful about it)

Should I ask corporate about it? I do not want to bring this up to my new store manager as soon as he gets there. How can I go about asking for full-time status? I do not want up and down hours anymore and I think I have proven to them that I have the desire and the motivation. I have trained in 5 different departments since March, I ALWAYS come in when they call me for extra hours. I always ask for extra hours if they dont ask me first and I always take the initiative among my coworkers as well as dealing with customers. How should I (or do I even deserve) to ask for full time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times
They obviously are not looking to fill full time positions. Going to corporate is not going to do anything for you. I worked for a major grocery chain for nine years and very few people were full time, and those who were full time would file a grievance if another worker got 36 hours when they got 34 hours. Tell your new manager about your training and experience and let him/her know that you would be very interested in discussing a full time position when one becomes available. If you work for a major chain and you realy want to make the grocery business a career, start going to college part time. Get an associates degree and then get a BA or a BS. A two year degree was the minimum required to get into a management track, while a four year degree was preferred and most typical. I worked for one manager who had an MBA. The money and benefits (which you will work hard for) are in the management track--not bagging or being a cashier.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,594,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They obviously are not looking to fill full time positions. Going to corporate is not going to do anything for you. I worked for a major grocery chain for nine years and very few people were full time, and those who were full time would file a grievance if another worker got 36 hours when they got 34 hours. Tell your new manager about your training and experience and let him/her know that you would be very interested in discussing a full time position when one becomes available. If you work for a major chain and you realy want to make the grocery business a career, start going to college part time. Get an associates degree and then get a BA or a BS. A two year degree was the minimum required to get into a management track, while a four year degree was preferred and most typical. I worked for one manager who had an MBA. The money and benefits (which you will work hard for) are in the management track--not bagging or being a cashier.
The company I work for does not require degrees for management positions, citing a lot of management training is done on the job

Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,781,767 times
I would just continue as you are and let it be known you want as many hours as possible and would like to be full time.

Outside of that, what can you do?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
See if you can get put in full time before the old boss leaves!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,132,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
My recent evaluation was the highest I could receive in terms of a raise, I am also trained as a cashier, courtesy clerk, deli clerk, meat clerk and stock clerk
You have outgrown your employer. You have learned most positions and have been at the grocery store for 2 years. There is not much room for growth. Yu are obviously a bright person that can adapt to any role. It's time to move on to a different employer or industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment