Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,431,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would recommend that you concentrate on your career and channel all that sexual energy into enthusiasm for your job. There are a million people out there that you can "have amazing chemistry" with. Hormones makes people think/do crazy things. It might seem like she is "the one" right now, but I assure you that it is just that old "survival of the species" mechanism kicking in. Give it a pass.

20yrsinBranson

My thoughts exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM

715 posts, read 1,078,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Rule number 12: Never date a coworker.
While I am a big NCIS fan (watching it on USA now), I have to add an "it depends" to it.

I met my husband on the job. Also, nearly every job I have had in life has had either married spouses or people who were dating one another.

The key is maturity and an understanding upfront of what both sides want. If your career is more important than anything at this point and you know you probably couldn't survive a serious breakup I the workplace, then don't do it. If you both are mature adults who are at a place that can handle not just dating at work, but nosy co-workers getting in your business, then maybe.

Remember, at work, you're going to see one another quite often. Plus, It sounds like you may actually travel together as we'll. Do you think you can handle that much time together? How will your performance be viewed by managers and customers?

It sounds like you're already far gone in your feelings, but really try to take a step back and even talk about it with her. Try to set some agreed upon rules of behavior if you both decide to pursue a relationship.

None of this will be a guarantee that all will go smooth and things will be perfect either. My husband and I had an issue between us that had nothing to do with working together. We still had to deal with it on the job and, of course, the co-workers stay gossiping wondering what's going on.

We broke up for a while as I was allowing him to deal with some things. In that time, I changed companies (due to management issues). Neither of us are high drama people who like to argue and fight to put on a show for others. We stayed friends and I always trusted him as a confidante. Becoming scared that I was "getting away from him", he began to pursue me again as more than a friend. We eventually got married.

The big thing for us was mature behavior and communication. If that broke down between us in the work environment, then there was the potential for problems.

I'm a sucker for love and will wish you the best, but please be careful about pursuing this. Not sure how damaging this could be for you potentially. Try to take everything into consideration before moving forward.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,522,056 times
Well, having read the information through this point in the thread I would also suggest you focus on your career plans/ travel desires. Often times the workplace since it is a significant amount of our live is where people meet others of like mind. From what you disclosed of her situation (child), past exchanges at Cmas party incident, etc... and career desire of being overseas in Latin America. Don't do it unless you have a very direct non romantic communicative conversation with her on what she wants out of life. Be sure she/ you are not mirroring (i.e. don't allow your current infatuation/ feelings) to cloud the reality of what a potential life would be like should you pursue one together.

In my work career I've seen a few office / workplace romances blossom into marriages. In both cases the individuals behaved in a very quiet, private respectable manner (even though most knew they were dating). One left the company within short times of each other to pursue separate carreers in another geographic location, the other they moved to different departments within company. So yes it can be done.

On the other hand, based on wanting to work overseas in Latin America in any of the countries mentioned, you may be wiser to search for a potential 'life match' while there as the cultural difference in the women will likely spoil you (if you get a chance to interact frequently) and you may possibly regret the current 'urge to merge' feelings.

JMHO

Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,497,691 times
Will you be able to work with her daily if she rejects you or after some time things go south?

If you can not honestly answer this question, do not even think of starting a relationship.

As others said, you will want to check your HR policies as well.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,825,632 times
Love comes first. Job second.
Seriously, meeting someone you really, really get along with and the chemistry is mutual, is pretty rare. It's foolish not to pursue it.

Everyone always thinks jobs are so important, but think about this: being in a mutually supportive relationship with a great spouse or partner, has a much more positive effect on your life, including your career and finances, than if you're with someone that is less compatible.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,244,795 times
Stop being so passive, but also don't dip your pen in company ink unless you don't give a crap about the job.

This will end badly and there is little upside to seeing co-workers. There are plenty of eligible women that you don't work with.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM

49 posts, read 65,568 times
Don't get your honey where you get your money.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,141,843 times
I really don't see what the porbelm is My wife and i meet when working;it happens all the time.That does not mean you can act porfessionally whe at work.Wew never has a problem ;so I don't see why you shuld have any if your mature.I also knew quite a few others who married after meeting at work.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,340,749 times
I would suggest that you focus on your jobs. You both realize the problems, or you wouldn't be holding back already. Decide between you which one of you will be willing to sacrifice their professional position before you pursue any sort of liaison. Perhaps even get enough job experience that one of you can move to a different company.
And, since you two are obviously letting others know you are involved, be prepared for the fall out if something you work on together doesn't meet company standards....because you both may be scapegoated.
What a mess this could turn into. Review your company policies....and I hope you both are very sure before you jeopardize your careers.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Love comes first. Job second.
Seriously, meeting someone you really, really get along with and the chemistry is mutual, is pretty rare. It's foolish not to pursue it.

Everyone always thinks jobs are so important, but think about this: being in a mutually supportive relationship with a great spouse or partner, has a much more positive effect on your life, including your career and finances, than if you're with someone that is less compatible.
All true in a perfect world. But love don't pay the bills. Approach cautiously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment