Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,388,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I've seen that kind of thing play out. It's like they took an immediate dislike - which is totally unprofessional - and made it their business to get you outta there. Actually, they did you a favor. These were evil and cruel minded people all along to fire you just before Thanksgiving. I now work in the legal field (but after this current job, never again!) and I've seen it all. People can be so cruel.

Luckily, it did work out for me...although finding another job at age 50 was rough. The other secretary's family was a long time acquaintance of the senior partner (he'd worked for her grandfather during college). She moved back to the area, he hired her, and she just took over like a bull in a china shop. Everything I did was inefficient and wrong, even though I'd been told for years I was doing a good job. The partners seemed afraid of her and her temper. I'm sure she had a lot to do with the new associate disliking me. Her predecessor, the one whom I'd originally worked with, was a lovely lady and co-worker and a good friend, who unfortunately died of cancer. I didn't fit in the new office chemistry, so I was history. I would love to find out why my replacement left after only ten months.

In hindsight, they did me a favor. I've been in my current job for two years, and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,033,051 times
Quote:
I've seen that kind of thing play out. It's like they took an immediate dislike - which is totally unprofessional - and made it their business to get you outta there. Actually, they did you a favor. These were evil and cruel minded people all along to fire you just before Thanksgiving. I now work in the legal field (but after this current job, never again!) and I've seen it all. People can be so cruel.
I know someone who got a job in retail management in a family owned store. There was a small chain of them. He had had a successful history in other retail management jobs. He happened to have befriended a security guard. He suggested that they computerize their operation. The company did not like him for some reason. They would not give him his sales figures, but kept harassing him that he was not meeting quotas. They treated him awfully. He noticed another manager getting the same treatment. They both quit or were let go, I forget which. The store had been using antiquated cash registers and changed them frequently during the day. It was caught sending big packets of money through the US mail, right to the bosses house out of state, hiding it from the IRS.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,033,051 times
Quote:
I know someone who got a job in retail management in a family owned store. There was a small chain of them. He had had a successful history in other retail management jobs. He happened to have befriended a security guard. He suggested that they computerize their operation. The company did not like him for some reason. They would not give him his sales figures, but kept harassing him that he was not meeting quotas. They treated him awfully. He noticed another manager getting the same treatment. They both quit or were let go, I forget which. The store had been using antiquated cash registers and changed them frequently during the day. They were caught sending big packets of money through the US mail, right to the bosses house out of state, hiding it from the IRS. Obviously, they wanted managers who did not innovate, and did not befriend the security guard whom my friend thinks may have been a police plant.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM

219 posts, read 528,750 times
Yep. I went on a family vacation and when i came back they gave me the news. I had always thought it might happen as i really didn't have much to do on most days. I was told the organization was struggling in this poor economy but a coworker told me they were having their best year to date. I was replaced by a 17-yr-old and heard management got nice $10k bonuses that xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment