Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You could email him and tell him how you feel. Then, he can get it right for future interviewees.
Either that or validate his hiring decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM

54 posts, read 162,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You could email him and tell him how you feel. Then, he can get it right for future interviewees.
No, I won't do that. But, do you agree with me that call was weird?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,661,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
I applied for a job and got a call back for an interview. I went in for the interview and I left with a bad vibe. I just didn't think I would get the job. So, I didn't send a thank-you note. I didn't hear a word from them via email or mail for almost a month to tell me I didn't get the job. I checked my voice mail recently and low and behold they said they offered the job to someone else! Why reject someone via PHONE? What if I had of answered the phone???
What if you weren't home when they sent the singing telegram?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM

9,886 posts, read 14,157,560 times
While not everyone I interview, I always personally call anyone who is a finalist for a job (had a 2nd or 3rd interview). I feel it is the polite thing to do, and (I believe) the candidates appreciate this. I actually have a conversation telling them what we particularly liked about them, and what were the reasons we selected someone else. Most of these people are people I would hire, it just wasn't the best fit at the time. Why not extend this courtesy and keep the communication lines open; should they be a better fir for a future position? As far as I can remember, everyone has thanked me for the call.

It never would occur to me that someone would be so immature to fear talking to someone who was calling to explain they weren't getting the job. I guess I interview a higher level of people.

On the other hand, I accepted a position when I was in college. On my very first day, my boss handed me a list of five names and numbers and said I needed to call them and let them know they didn't get the job (because he had hired me). That was awkward, and not very polite, IMO.

Last edited by spencgr; 01-07-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
I applied for a job and got a call back for an interview. I went in for the interview and I left with a bad vibe. I just didn't think I would get the job. So, I didn't send a thank-you note. I didn't hear a word from them via email or mail for almost a month to tell me I didn't get the job. I checked my voice mail recently and low and behold they said they offered the job to someone else! Why reject someone via PHONE? What if I had of answered the phone???
HUH???? If you had answered the phone you simply say "well I am sorry to hear that but thank you for letting me know". And if they're receptive you might add like something " I am still interested in your company, and would be interested in applying for other positions".

There is nothing strange, or there used to be nothing strange with an employer calling up all the candidates and letting them know they did or didn't get the job.

Would you prefer not hearing back at all? There are posts on here by people who have gone on 2 and 3 interviews for the same position, and they're not even given the courtesy of a status when they try and follow up with voice mails and e-mails.

They never hear back.

That is something to be annoyed about.

Would you prefer that? At least you know where you stand.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM

54 posts, read 162,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While not everyone I interview, I always personally call anyone who is a finalist for a job (had a 2nd or 3rd interview). I feel it is the polite thing to do, and (I believe) the candidates appreciate this. I actually have a conversation telling them what we particularly liked about them, and what were the reasons we selected someone else. Most of these people are people I would hire, it just wasn't the best fi at the time. Why not extend this courtesy and keep the communication lines open; should they be a better fir for a future position? As far as I can remember, everyone has thanked me for the call.

It never would occur to me that someone would be so immature to fear talking to someone who was calling to explain they weren't getting the job. I guess I interview a higher level of people.

On the other hand, I accepted a position when I was in college. On my very first day, my boss handed me a list of five names and numbers and said I needed to call them and let them know they didn't get the job (because he had hired me). That was awkward, and not very polite, IMO.
I do not find this immature. I had a company turn me down via email. Then called me back with a job offer and this was HR.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,662,031 times
You should feel fortunate that they called you. Your preferences in how they contact you are odd.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,904,439 times
There are a plethora of threads on this board from people who didn't hear anything back. From people who got the impersonal email, etc. They took the time and consideration to attempt to contact you personally. Go figure.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,991 times
Quote:
I would have preferred a email or even a letter. In this case, nothing at all. I did said I didn't think I would get the job. He sounded skeptical to even interview me.
Really?

People come on here all the time and complain that they didn't hear ANYTHING back when they did not get the job. You are actually complaining about HOW you were told?

Sorry, but get over yourself. They had the courtesy to call you. Have the courtesy in return to recognize they did something they were not obligated to do, and be appreciative.

Self-entitled much?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
No, I won't do that. But, do you agree with me that call was weird?
Not in the least. I find the fact that you started a thread about something which to you seems so weird to be very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment