Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,450,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What if you weren't home when they sent the singing telegram?
No I dont. I work for a staffing company, we inform potential employees by phone when they interview and do not get the job. Its not that uncommon in Tx.. cant speak for the rest of the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM

30,385 posts, read 23,854,690 times
I believe that if an employer is going to reject me, they should take me out to a nice dinner and let me down gently, during the after dinner drink.

A phone call?! HEATHENS!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,486,538 times
People are never happy. I would much rather be notified than be left hanging indefinitely. Be glad that they contacted you. Whether they chose to phone you or email you is irrelevant.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 AM

432 posts, read 1,230,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
I just found it odd for him to take time to call me. Why not an email? Since that is more common these days or nothing. I have had HR send me reject letters. But never a phone call. WOuld you have liked to talk to a potential employer when he was rejecting YOU for a job? I would NOT!
I actually would of like to speak to the person so I could get feedback on why I wasn't suitable for the job. You can ask questions like what did you feel was the most favourable part of my application or interview? Is there any areas that I could improve on that would help me with future interviews or applications? It's amazing how much information you can possible pick up on to make improvements. Good luck with getting a new job!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 AM

380 posts, read 1,157,804 times
I know how you feel. I had something similar happen to me. I was told the job had been put on hold and the company would not be hiring anyone for the position. The HR rep actually left me a message to call her back. I thought it was going to be a job offer. I was thrilled when I got her message to call her. After talking to her I was completely crushed.

Although, it was nice of them to call me personally and inform me, it still hurt to be rejected and I really wish she had either emailed me or sent a letter. All the phone message did was get me excited and get my hopes up for nothing. I was too stunned to ask for any type of feedback. I was in complete and total shock.

Even though you didn't want the job it's easy to see how you would think it weird for them to leave a message, instead of, emailing the news. In your situation, an email would have been appropriate.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,051,360 times
Quote:
I applied for a job and got a call back for an interview. I went in for the interview and I left with a bad vibe. I just didn't think I would get the job. So, I didn't send a thank-you note. I didn't hear a word from them via email or mail for almost a month to tell me I didn't get the job. I checked my voice mail recently and low and behold they said they offered the job to someone else! Why reject someone via PHONE? What if I had of answered the phone???
What if you had? What difference does it make by phone or any other type of correspondence?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,750,012 times
Actually the rejection call can be nice. If well played on your end, it would give you a chance to ask them some questions if they don't mind. You can ask if they can elaborate on why you weren't chosen. Maybe it was your interview style? Maybe the other applicant had more experience? In any event, it would be a good lessons learned on your end, so that you can take the criticism and maybe get the next job.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM

763 posts, read 2,608,879 times
Quote:
I applied for a job and got a call back for an interview. I went in for the interview and I left with a bad vibe. I just didn't think I would get the job. So, I didn't send a thank-you note. I didn't hear a word from them via email or mail for almost a month to tell me I didn't get the job. I checked my voice mail recently and low and behold they said they offered the job to someone else! Why reject someone via PHONE? What if I had of answered the phone???
So what if you had answered the telephone? Would it have been easier to hear that you'd been turned down for the job first hand? Do you think you could have changed their mind if you had taken the call? You should feel lucky you even got a phone call! All I get are rejection emails! Or, nothing at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM

651 posts, read 1,565,734 times
what IF you would had sent that "thank you" note

Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,051,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
what IF you would had sent that "thank you" note
I don't believe these work. I think it's a bunch of fluff and a complete waste of time, especially in this economy.

I doubt very seriously a well put together "thank you note" is going to put you over the edge of someone they really like or have already considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment