Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,857 times

Advertisements

it's all about cost-cutting and saving money.

If you offer peanuts for pay, then you have to take in the dross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
Maybe the economic pressures of the recession are affecting people's behavior.

I have noticed a decline in the kindness and manners of customer service personnel. It used to be rare to encounter gruff service here anywhere but at a government office, but one recent night at the local Walmart it seemed like everybody was hostile. Of course, this is not universal - the young guy working at the convenience store by my work is always friendly to everybody, including myself (it's practically the neighborhood hub). Last winter, one high-school aged grocery store cashier, upon finding that we were unable to get change for an EBT Cash transaction, ran out of the store and gave us around $10 out of his own pocket to buy needed heating fuel. God bless his generous heart. We were really in the deepest of lurches and my mother cried while I shed a few tears too at his kindness.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Being in the workforce a long time, I have seen employees that ranged from having the most modest professional behavior to the unstable to the just plain nuts. Sometimes when a company needs to fill a position or positions they will take on paper what seems the best of the lot and regardless of work history one can not always predict how someone will handle the job, any stress that comes with it or what is going on with the employee outside of work. I used to see this when in retail, esp as a higher level manager myself years ago when the economy was stable.

Employers today have more screening pre hiring then ever, yet these are conductive toward the person being hired. It can not predict exactly how the pers will perform or what may be going on with them. The person doing the face to face interview might pick something up based on their overall life and work experience. I will agree somewhat with the financial strains today and the lower salaries having an influence.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,667,471 times
sadly, I find that my part of the world, in general, is rougher and ruder.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,413,815 times
Thumbs down wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Oh my gosh, I have definitely noticed this. I'm remote, but the nearest office has deteriorated to the point that I wouldn't step foot in there. Sooooo unprofessional, lots of in-fighting, just awful.
This sounds like my office, and I work for the State of Hawaii. I've never seen or heard or been subjected to
such ignorance in my life, from 'new hires' all the way up the ladder. CEO can't even speak proper english.
Koale

Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM

13 posts, read 21,904 times
At my last employer, it did not matter how unprofessional or how much of a slacker the person was-they would hire anyone willing to walk in the door, and fire anyone who complained if that person was to be found loitering in dark corners and hallways texting or going on facebook while the few dedicated workers were slaving away, picking up the slack. We were told publicly at a meeting 'Complain about the work ethic of your partner, you'll be fired. Either suck it up or move on, we aren't here to babysit grown adults!'. So I guess the supervisors were just there to collect a check and hang out with their supervisor homies, not to actually supervise anything!!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM

19,666 posts, read 12,255,986 times
!!! This sounds horrible. !!! It's another step toward Idiocracy.

Low wages do not justify this bad behavior. You don't have to love your job to merely act decently. I worked plenty of crappy low wage jobs with abusive bosses, still had to be polite and be held to a standard.

Once I had a job in the bad part of town with rough people, it was awful, but that was not an office job and it was a mistake to apply there. If I saw this kind of thing in an office I would be very unhappy.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Maybe the economic pressures of the recession are affecting people's behavior.

I have noticed a decline in the kindness and manners of customer service personnel. It used to be rare to encounter gruff service here anywhere but at a government office, but one recent night at the local Walmart it seemed like everybody was hostile. Of course, this is not universal - the young guy working at the convenience store by my work is always friendly to everybody, including myself (it's practically the neighborhood hub). Last winter, one high-school aged grocery store cashier, upon finding that we were unable to get change for an EBT Cash transaction, ran out of the store and gave us around $10 out of his own pocket to buy needed heating fuel. God bless his generous heart. We were really in the deepest of lurches and my mother cried while I shed a few tears too at his kindness.
Inflation going up, paychecks going down for many... Time to invest in a gated community

What I have noticed is the biggest screw ups I know seem to have no problem finding jobs. They also seem happy to work for south of $10/hr as long as they don't have to work very hard.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM

156 posts, read 313,505 times
Part of it might be leadership; if a company doesn't police it's employees AND lacks good advancement why would they expect office behavior to be professional?!?

Employees reflect they're employer.....ones who don't usually get the can or move on unless they're protected.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenchange71 View Post
At my last employer, it did not matter how unprofessional or how much of a slacker the person was-they would hire anyone willing to walk in the door, and fire anyone who complained if that person was to be found loitering in dark corners and hallways texting or going on facebook while the few dedicated workers were slaving away, picking up the slack. We were told publicly at a meeting 'Complain about the work ethic of your partner, you'll be fired. Either suck it up or move on, we aren't here to babysit grown adults!'. So I guess the supervisors were just there to collect a check and hang out with their supervisor homies, not to actually supervise anything!!
This seems to be true in quite a few places, no real mentoring or teambuilding and employees are expected to resolve conflicts between themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment