Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You make a valid point. I have seen the disasters brought on by the overreliance on headhunters and staffing agencies.

These staffing agencies are also quite dependable if you are seeking drug addicts and alcoholics. I'm wondering if they use a breathalyzer test prior to interviewing to find the drunkest candidates. Perhaps they conduct their search starting at the local AA meetings.
Don't be surprised if true.

Remember, companies get tax incentives for hiring these people, so it might just the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,997,381 times
Quote:
You make a valid point. I have seen the disasters brought on by the overreliance on headhunters and staffing agencies.

Once again drawing back from my previous observations, a former employer was looking for ways to improve plant and process efficiency. The company was large enough (+100 employees) to attract the attention of qualified six sigma/black belt engineers. The task itself appeared to be too large in the eyes of management. They decided to consult a head hunter. The results were nothing short of disaster.

Yish! even ignoring the 100k cost you cite, if you fail to get continuous buyin from mgmt regarding efficiency it ceases to exist. When a consultant is hired to "do the task", buyin fails to happen.

Years ago, I worked at a corp whose consultants on these matters were embarrassed. They were on tour 2, and before accepting the engagement, their leader told me he properly reamed mgmt at a Board of Directors meeting that a 2nd required trip was a mark against them. He conditionally accepted with a caveat; one full time position would be added and retained permanently dedicated to transitioning the metircs the consultants compiled forever. It worked, and they went from in the red before engagement 2 to in the black every year thereafter.

But buyins are usually not pushed by consultants. Corps must buyin themselves.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Yes that is very true. The government can't just lock them up forever. That would be against the law. So they're trying to integrate them into society like normal people. They're funked up, troublemaking lowlifes as far as I'm concerned. Just have to learn to be ghetto with them and go by their rules otherwise they'll take you down with them and you'll be out of a job and/or in jail.
I can relate to this personally. I did my job, killed myself for my entire 12 hour shift. One day, they brought in cheaper labor in disguise. A team of pals who knew each other for years. Came to work late every day and left work early every day. Management had me train them well. When I was done, they got really mean towards me...picked fights and cornered me to the point where I had to defend myself. This is of course what management wanted. 2 new people to do my job for half the pay. The axe fell as soon as I stood up for myself.

I am glad that I live in the DC area...it's just a job, there was another one up the road.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,286,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I can relate to this personally. I did my job, killed myself for my entire 12 hour shift. One day, they brought in cheaper labor in disguise. A team of pals who knew each other for years. Came to work late every day and left work early every day. Management had me train them well. When I was done, they got really mean towards me...picked fights and cornered me to the point where I had to defend myself. This is of course what management wanted. 2 new people to do my job for half the pay. The axe fell as soon as I stood up for myself.

I am glad that I live in the DC area...it's just a job, there was another one up the road.
Yup that's it. There's always at least 1 at every workplace (sometimes more) and they know what they're doing. You can only avoid it for so long. They're a train wreck waiting to happen. But what's the alternative, exile them to the streets and a life of crime? I doubt the government wants that. So they shove them on us, hoping they won't relapse. Sucks that the good people have to deal with that Moderator cut: language.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Circumventing the language filter is a violation of the Terms of Service

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM

560 posts, read 1,550,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
....Anyway, when I read this thread title, I thought it was going to be about homeless people sneaking in, raiding the office fridge for forgotten lunches and sleeping in the cubicles :-)
I had to laugh hard at this)) So funny..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
...Sucks that the good people have to deal with that.shi.t
That's the sad part, isn't it? We have to deal with them, even though we did not hire them.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionspanltd View Post
Yeah, and I don't know if you guys have noticed, but many of the people who work in HR departments these days aren't exactly the cream of the crop themselves....

Great observation! That's true in many large or mid-size corporations I think. I know where I work, I am amazed at the number of loud clowns I see seated in the HR department. No wonder they hire "street" people, they are "street" people themselves! Everything starts from the top and trickles down. Like someone said already, the people hired are a reflection of the hiring manager.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
....Seriously, some employers don't care how undesirable or potentially dangerous employees are as long as they'll work for next to nothing. Be careful out there folks...
Gone are the days when we go in to work, put in our 8 hours and leave for the day. Nowadays, we have to go to work prepared for a battle, so in many ways, work places are becoming war zones. I noticed this change by the way 8 years ago and it has progressively become worse.

Sadly, unless the government stops giving these corporations tax incentives, I don't see work environments getting any better.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Quote:
Ha, maybe they are just hiring the cheapest workers available? I have seen this more often myself at previous employers. They find these ex cons, drug addicts, alcoholics, etc and expect to get quality work out of them for $8/hr.
$8/hr?...I've seen them making more than that,even more than me!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,527,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Gone are the days when we go in to work, put in our 8 hours and leave for the day. Nowadays, we have to go to work prepared for a battle, so in many ways, work places are becoming war zones. I noticed this change by the way 8 years ago and it has progressively become worse.

Sadly, unless the government stops giving these corporations tax incentives, I don't see work environments getting any better.
If you're speaking of people from the ghetto/suburban trailer trash types that get hired due to quotas and tax incentives, then only certain types of businesses hire them. And then, for certain types of jobs.You don't see those "disagreeable" types in Fortune500 companies handling major clients and having positions of authority. You won't see them in front of the judge arguing for their client. They don't make 6 figure salaries. You'll see then in the mailroom, cafeteria, maintenance, custodial work. You see them in retail a lot. Government jobs too. Union jobs, depending on the type of company. Many companies don't need the tax incentives because the hit they take businesswise and financially for employing those "street people" is higher and more of a problem. They are a liability often. Companies lose more money with them than they gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment