Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

No problem with it as long as it's not used as an insult or it's not used with clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
It depends on the work environment. In some places it's more acceptable than others. Manufacturing, warehousing and trucking are a different environment than office and 'professional' places. I work in a warehouse and have a bunch of truck drivers around, 'blue' language is the norm.

What bugs *me* is the when a female is included into the mix and suddenly off-color language is frowned upon. Sorry, but 'equal rights' goes both ways, it can't be expected that behavior/language has to change because one is female and has entered a traditionally male-dominated employment situation. It's an unacceptable double-standard (especially when those same women are overheard to be using the same sort of language when among other women, but expect men not to use it when they are around).

Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
They should. There's no reason for a supervisor to be using that language with you.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Totally inappropriate, unless you happen to be a professional wrestler or hockey player.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM

231 posts, read 390,822 times
Whenever I hear people use the F word, or S word, their IQ immediately drops in my mind. Using language like that at the work place shows a complete lack of decorum, grace and intelligence. Offices and work environments have become so casual over the past 20 years, many times to the detriment of the establishment. Vulgar language is not acceptable in an office environment.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Its totally unacceptable in any work place.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 21,893 times
LOL at my last job-a person was fired for using the saying 'ass' within hearing of another person who went to the director about it. That SAME person who went and did the tattle-tale act was famous for dropping F bombs all over the place. Depends on who you know [mod]snip[/mod], I guess, what you can get away with!!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-20-2013 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate phrase

Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM

206 posts, read 269,185 times
I don't care. That said, because other people do care I refrain from using such language

Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It depends on the work environment. In some places it's more acceptable than others. Manufacturing, warehousing and trucking are a different environment than office and 'professional' places. I work in a warehouse and have a bunch of truck drivers around, 'blue' language is the norm.

What bugs *me* is the when a female is included into the mix and suddenly off-color language is frowned upon. Sorry, but 'equal rights' goes both ways, it can't be expected that behavior/language has to change because one is female and has entered a traditionally male-dominated employment situation. It's an unacceptable double-standard (especially when those same women are overheard to be using the same sort of language when among other women, but expect men not to use it when they are around).

Try this out for size..... I am not normally offended by much at all... in the very small company i worked for... as the only full time woman working there... they guys cuss ALL day EVERY day. Whatever I dont care.. as long as you aren't talking to me disrespectfully...

So one day... something crappy happens, and I slip out a few choice words out of frustration at my desk, while I was with a partner... who we are ALL close with.. cusses, and they cuss in front of him all the time. Before you know it.. my male boss asks me to come into his office to lecture ME on how I need to watch MY MOUTH.. because I don't sound like a lady!? Are you freaking kidding!?!?! what a jerk.....

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
But yeah I agree that inappropriate language in most cases is not acceptable in the work place... and that my slip was a mistake and something I don't normally do. It's just A LOT easier to slip up... if that is the type of language you hear so casually and constantly around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment