Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,278,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I do not see the need to use profanity to get a point across. If you cannot articulate yourself enough to get your point across by using words found in the dictionary, then maybe you should take some grammar and composition classes.
Those words ARE found in the dictionary though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM

763 posts, read 2,607,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Those words ARE found in the dictionary though
Pathetic. So many words to choose from. Just pathetic.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,713,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Completely inappropriate in any workplace setting.
As with any question asked about the "workplace environment" on this board, it depends on the setting.

Quote:
I do not see the need to use profanity to get a point across. If you cannot articulate yourself enough to get your point across by using words found in the dictionary, then maybe you should take some grammar and composition classes.
Eh...I drop the F-bomb on occasion. I have also authored / co-authored a few dozen articles in scientific and medical journals, so I do have a fairly firm grasp on the English language (including grammar and composition).

Quote:
Pathetic. So many words to choose from. Just pathetic.
All spoken words are merely combinations of sounds. How certain ones can be seen as "bad" and pothers are not is just silly.

buck, duck, huck, luck, muck, puck, suck, tuck....all acceptable words. Use the word missing from that list that starts with an "f" and some people get all bent out of shape. Some people worry about the dumbest things.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM

277 posts, read 519,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
My supervisor's boss is always saying how "we need to get more professional and educated people hired into the company", but yet she constantly drops the F bomb. She even uses it to me and will say "what the Moderator cut: language happened" if she's questioning something. To me, that is very unprofessional! Don't some or most companies have a policy about that kind of language in the work place, especially when directing someone like that? Could that be considered harassment? Do your superiors talk to you like that?
Just came across this - my supervisor (from years ago) must have moved to California lol..... when I first heard her say things like that (every other word was the f word) it really shocked me ... had never heard it (not even in my home) ... but only had to suffer with her for about 4 years ..

Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM

763 posts, read 2,607,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Eh...I drop the F-bomb on occasion. I have also authored / co-authored a few dozen articles in scientific and medical journals, so I do have a fairly firm grasp on the English language (including grammar and composition).

All spoken words are merely combinations of sounds. How certain ones can be seen as "bad" and pothers are not is just silly.

buck, duck, huck, luck, muck, puck, suck, tuck....all acceptable words. Use the word missing from that list that starts with an "f" and some people get all bent out of shape. Some people worry about the dumbest things.
The operative word here being "occasion." You don't inject it into every sentence and phrase you utter, plus since you authored articles, you clearly do not see the NEED to drop "F" bombs to punctuate a verbal thought!

All of these words (with the exception of suck) do not refer to or define the act of sex.

I drop "F" bombs when I'm alone and it's warranted, at home when it's warranted (when nobody is there but me and hubby), but I do not and never will say it in front of my children, my grandchildren, my parents or any friends we associate with, and I do NOT say it at work for any reason. I might think it, but I will bite my tongue and not say it.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM

607 posts, read 1,375,651 times
Honestly, if you simply want to get your point across and you're interacting with people you know (not a client/customer), I don't see what's wrong with it. However, in formal speech, you shouldn't use the word.

The more conservative the work place is, the more it is stigmatized. Generally, this means it is less acceptable to use it in an office setting, but there are many exceptions to this, as many offices these days have a semi-casual feel to them.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,458,558 times
Inappropriate and unprofessional. No one should really be using those kinds of words unless they're in a place that's appropriate for it or in their own home, etc. I would also wonder about their intellectual level as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment