Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,427,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It depends on the work environment. In some places it's more acceptable than others. Manufacturing, warehousing and trucking are a different environment than office and 'professional' places. I work in a warehouse and have a bunch of truck drivers around, 'blue' language is the norm.

What bugs *me* is the when a female is included into the mix and suddenly off-color language is frowned upon. Sorry, but 'equal rights' goes both ways, it can't be expected that behavior/language has to change because one is female and has entered a traditionally male-dominated employment situation. It's an unacceptable double-standard (especially when those same women are overheard to be using the same sort of language when among other women, but expect men not to use it when they are around).
I agree with this. And I personally find the word offensive, and most who know me have never heard me use it. Ever. I have to be REALLY mad (last time i recall using it was in response to my flight home being cancelled, for the 3rd time in one day) so when I tell my husband, who uses it all the time, that i would prefer he not use it in conversations with me, he sort of as to reply that he understands as I do not use it. So, for me, if the language (well that particular word) stops when I am around, it is not a double standard as I do not use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM

263 posts, read 761,349 times
Quote:
No problem with it as long as it's not used as an insult or it's not used with clients.
So the clients deserve more respect than co-workers? I don't mind if I over hear it, but I do have a problem with a superior asking me "what the "F" happened?" To me, that is confrontational and unprofessional!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM

195 posts, read 351,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
So the clients deserve more respect than co-workers? I don't mind if I over hear it, but I do have a problem with a superior asking me "what the "F" happened?" To me, that is confrontational and unprofessional!
To you and maybe to me it's unprofessional, but it is common and don't even think about even questioning your bosses actions. Just get used to it or find another job. Many managers but not all will use profanity(among other nice things like question your mental health, your social skills and even your personal life) as a scare tactic. Welcome to the corporate world where you don't have any rights after you make x amount or are promoted to x position.

THe higher up you go in the corporate latter the more you gonna hear that kind of talk from your "superiors". Of course don't even think about answering with the same language. You have no rights and no voice; HR, your boss, your bosses' boss, your subordinates and your coworkers are all against you.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM

815 posts, read 742,770 times
I'm a big boy, I've heard the word before, and to be quite honest I couldn't care less if anyone says it at work.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM

76 posts, read 114,030 times
I Moderator cut: snip say it every day

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-20-2013 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM

26 posts, read 60,994 times
Yes it's very unprofessional to curse in the workplace.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,670,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It depends on the work environment. In some places it's more acceptable than others. Manufacturing, warehousing and trucking are a different environment than office and 'professional' places.
Yes... I worked for years in a distribution center. Choosing to be upset about some words that aren't polite would have led to nothing but a great deal of stress and aggravation.

Unless it is completely gratuitous, every other word, or used as an insult, it doesn't bother me. I have myself often wondered "what the F happened?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM

10,996 posts, read 20,657,413 times
That word is not flattering to the person who utters it and managers who tolerate it are not doing their job. Were I to hear it I would ignore the utterance, some people do it to be provocative. If it is gratuitous I would ask my supervisor to tamp it down, if it is a reflection of frustration in doing the job talk about improving the work process.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM

30,448 posts, read 52,161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
never appropriate in any place.
Why not? It's just a word, people only give it power because we're trained to do so... that being said, no I don't use it at work. I'm a public librarian, so "professional image" is a big thing for us (plus I work with children daily). But outside of work? Sure, I release the f-bomb when warranted!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,929,424 times
I work at a bank and it is pretty much tolerated as long as it is not in front of clients. Heck even on Friday me and a co-worker flipped the bird at each other (in a joking fashion) when no one else was around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment