Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,638,046 times

Advertisements

and a lot of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,899 times
NC state pay is crap, but they have tons. To the point they are getting so desperate, they are advertising their minimum wage jobs on CL. Pathetic.

And they have now created a website that calls itself "total rewards" because the pay is so low and the benefits non-existent, they have had to hire a marketing company to create some smoke and mirrors as to why it is actually *good* to work for the state and not poorly veiled indentured servitude.

If you are looking for government work, may I suggest federal or town/city. Those appear to be the best in my experience. In order of best to worst: fed, town/city, county (if you have this layer of govt) and state.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,839,514 times
What occupation are you looking to fill?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
The states that pay the best are those with the highest cost of living. They have to pay more to attract candidates. Having worked in both CA and WA at public agencies, I can tell you that CA is considerably higher pay but then they have a state income tax and higher cost of living. The best paying and most secure public agency jobs are not state, but those that do not depend solely on tax revenue. For example, water, sewer and other utility districts just raise the rates when they need more money. Port authorities, especially those with airports have a steady revenue stream that's not affected by home prices/less property taxes.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What occupation are you looking to fill?
not sure yet, jus interested in some kinda govt job, im majoring in criminal justice so someth related would be good (not a cop tho), but many govt jobs just ask for a degree, no matter which really so there is many jobs i could do, federal is the best, but also the hardest to get
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The states that pay the best are those with the highest cost of living. They have to pay more to attract candidates. Having worked in both CA and WA at public agencies, I can tell you that CA is considerably higher pay but then they have a state income tax and higher cost of living. The best paying and most secure public agency jobs are not state, but those that do not depend solely on tax revenue. For example, water, sewer and other utility districts just raise the rates when they need more money. Port authorities, especially those with airports have a steady revenue stream that's not affected by home prices/less property taxes.
yea i hear ya, nj state salaries seem high, but col is very high

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
NC state pay is crap, but they have tons. To the point they are getting so desperate, they are advertising their minimum wage jobs on CL. Pathetic.

And they have now created a website that calls itself "total rewards" because the pay is so low and the benefits non-existent, they have had to hire a marketing company to create some smoke and mirrors as to why it is actually *good* to work for the state and not poorly veiled indentured servitude.

If you are looking for government work, may I suggest federal or town/city. Those appear to be the best in my experience. In order of best to worst: fed, town/city, county (if you have this layer of govt) and state.
damn
good to kno tho, i heard that city/county have a lot of nepotism?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM

would living in a highly populated area be better for a govt career? seems to me that there is more room to grow and opportunities in general in or near big cities and more interesting jobs, im currently in northern nj, but im thinkin bout movin to another metro like philly or chicago

Old 01-26-2013, 02:58 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
damn
good to kno tho, i heard that city/county have a lot of nepotism?
Why nepotism was invented here in NC.

Just within the past 2 years there was an article in the newspaper here that the state ferry division was basically worked by two families (connected) through brothers, nephews, sons etc - and multiple generations. No "outsiders" allowed in. A direct violation of state policy, fyi. And with the foxes minding the henhouse, no one seemed to know or care for that matter.

Comments beneath the article became quite funny - nothing like bragging that there are only two families running an entire state govt division and pretty much that entire region of the state (eastern 1/3) - that keep marrying into each other.

Apparently the irony was lost on them.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't have a state job but I can say the pay here is MUCH better than the east coast... I'm renting and the price is pretty much the same as well.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,826 times
Look at USA.gov-all the information is right there-if you are looking at Federal government-DC and Denver. If you are looking at state...well I would look at states that aren't struggling (Texas comes to mind).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment