Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times

Advertisements

6:40 wake up.
Shower. Shave. Get dressed. Eat a bowl of cereal and a glass of OJ.
Leave house by 7:35.
Arrive at work by 7:45. Never late.
Check mailbox at work, put lunch in the refrigerator, log in to laptop, check email and make sure everything is set for the day.
8:10 students start arriving.
8:20 school starts. No time to surf the internet during the workday.
I might have a chance to call the doctor or make an appointment between 8:40-9:15 (except on Wednesdays due to team meetings during this time) or during lunch from 12:40-1:05. These are also opportunities to use the restroom if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
I own a business and work from home, so my schedule is flexible. Unless I have a meeting or appt or something, I usually just get out of bed and start working and take a shower mid morning when I feel like I need a break. Sometimes I will get up and log onto VPN at 3:00 am if I want to really get an early start on the day - but that usually backfires because I end up needing to take a two hour nap sometime during the day or I can't stay awake.

I used to get up and start working at 5:30 every day, but I've gotten lazy in my old age. Now usually I make sure there is nothing anyone is going to need first thing in the morning (like 6:00 am). I take care of everything the night before. And then I sleep until I am woken up by my husband getting up and getting ready for work, usually sometime between 6:50 and 7:30.

I usually take coffee and a bottle of water to my desk first thing, but I don't eat until I get hungry, which is usually 9 or 10 am or sometimes later. Sometimes I will eat yogurt and/or banana, Carnation Instant Breakfast, or a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I have to be careful what I eat, though, because if my blood sugar spikes and drops, I can't stay awake. Some days I work all day without really eating anything, partly because I'm not hungry or I am busy and don't think about it or I have a lot to do and I need to get through it without feeling like I walked through a poppy field (Wizard of Oz).

I usually work till mid afternoon, maybe 3:00 o'clock. If something comes up where I need or want to not work any particular day, I just make sure I have other people covering the work.

I would like to get into a routine of taking a shower first thing but I always feel like I need to get started on work first thing. But I like it better on days when I do take a shower first - like today I had a doctor appt at 10:30 so I took a shower first thing (so my hair could mostly dry by itself) and then worked until time to get ready for my appt.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,357 times
I'm not a morning person whatsoever, so the less I have to do in the morning, the better. I lay out the clothes I'm going to wear that next day, the night before. If I have to shave, I do that before I go to bed. I eat packed lunches everyday, so I pack my lunch at night.

I usually wake up about 15 minutes before I have to leave for work. Since all the prep work is done the night before, the only thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth, hop in the shower, do a quick brush of the hair, throw on my clothes and head out the door.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
When I worked this was my routine:

Wake 6am
Stumble into bathroom, stumble into kitchen, get coffee.
Shower, shave
Make breakfast
Read the newspaper
Leave for work at 7am
Get to work at 7:30am

Now I'm retired this is my routine:

Wake, whenever
Get coffee
Make breakfast
Read newspaper
Shower, shave
Go fishing, or hiking, or read a book

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Lunches are made, coffee set up on timer, showers taken in the evening.

5:00 - alarm goes off, hit snooze
5:10 - alarm goes off again, get up, go to restroom, wash face
5:15 - get first cup of coffee, sit down at the computer to check C-D overnight updates
5:45 - spouse gets up and turns the light on, so I go back to the bedroom to dress/brush hair while he showers
6:00 - get to the kitchen, put away last night's clean dishes, feed cats, pack lunches that were made the evening before, set up morning pills, pour second cup of coffee
6:20 - spouse starts cooking breakfast while I check C-D once more
6:35 - eat breakfast (1 egg, 1 slice toast, fresh pineapple, more coffee)
6:50 - clear table, brush teeth, clean glasses, sift cat boxes, turn off lights, open shades, gather any items I plan to take to work, etc.
7:05 - out the door
7:30 - arrive at work
12:00 to 12:30 - eat lunch at my desk, log into C-D for 5-10 minutes
4:30 - (most days) go home

If I get caught by a freight train on the way downtown, which happens a few times a month, it'll make me 5-10 minutes late, and I'll stay later in the evening to compensate. If I need to make any personal calls, I do so on my lunch break. If I have to go to an appointment, I either schedule it for first thing in the morning or the very end of the day so it'll have the minimum effect on my work schedule, and I work extra hours on other days in the same week to make up for my absence.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM

9,754 posts, read 7,465,729 times
I work from home and commute to college for classes in the morning, so it depends what days/what time I have class, but for the most part:

Monday & Wednesday:
8:45 AM wake up.
9:00 AM check e-mail/do work
10:30 leave for class
2:00 PM home and lunch
2:30 shower and then check e-mails
Wednesday I have a later classes, so half the time I probably won't even come home since it's like an hour drive from my house to the school.
Tuesday & Thursday:
7:30 drag myself outta bed to start the call and check morning e-mail
8:00 out the door for class with breakfast on the way
12:00 home and lunch and check on things periodically during the day.
Friday:
8:45 wake up
9:00 check into the office. Friday's are boring totally I had literally NOTHING to do.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 PM

455 posts, read 898,265 times
Monday - Friday:

6:20 AM - Scream, and also blindly fumble for the snooze thing on my iPhone.
6:25 AM - Somehow make it into the shower. Halfway through, I'm finally coming to my senses. By the time I've washed my hair, all thoughts of calling in sick to work are thoroughly disregarded, which is why I like this system so much, because I could never go back to sleep anyway.
6:35 AM - Totally nude, shaving. Shaving in the nude is the only way to shave. My face, btw. The top one.
6:40 AM - I do this Tasmanian devil thing, and somehow get into my clothes for the day. (I clean this up when I get home)
6:45 AM - Open refrigerator, close refrigerator, open pantry, close pantry, why am I kidding myself... same as always: 1 egg fried in olive oil, a cup of plain yogurt with some blackberries/strawberries/blueberries, whichever I have that's in front, piece of whole grain toast with some butter on it, and an entire bottle of water.
7:00 AM - Wallet, check. Phone, check. Briefcase thing, check. Wallet, check. Wallet, check. Wallet, check. Am I forgetting anything? Probably. Screw it.
7:05 AM - On the highway. Hating everyone on the road. Why do they drive so horribly??? I seriously can't be the only person on the road that isn't an idiot. There is absolutely no way!
7:25 AM - Ah, park. Great parking spaces. Totally glad for this. Go up elevator. Walk down halway. Enter security code.
7:30 AM - Sit down at desk, unlock computers, read emails, and after this point, it all becomes a blur.

Saturday - Sunday:

Don't remember...

Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
This is fun ~ enjoy seeing everyone's morning routines. I used to work from home and am missing it so much! I still get to about once a week.

I work out anywhere from 4-5 mornings a week but trying to figure out a way to end some of the early morning classes and switch them to evening because I am EXHAUSTED. My son leaves for college next year and I'm think more evening workouts then. Anyway, here goes:

5:00am - alarm goes off.
5 to 5:30 - throw down some green tea and a product called 'Lift off' that helps to wake me up. Hurry, hurry and change into workout clothes. Throw on a headband and out the door.
5:45 to 7:00 - gym. Workout with a trainer and a great group of people.
7:15 - arrive home
7:15 to 8:30 - Shower, hair, make-up, feed the dogs, blah blah blah
8:45 to 9:00 - arrive at work - 45 minutes late! Flexible employer - I either work through lunch or stay until 5:30 - most folks work 8 to 4:30.
6 to 7:30 - arrive home, walk the dogs, feed dogs, prepare meal, feed family
7:30 to 8:00 - halfhearted attempt to barely clean kitchen
8:00 to 10:00 - DOWNTIME! Play with the dogs, watch my son's favorite shows with him, try and gather up what I will need the following day.

Rinse, lather, repeat. It's like that movie Groundhog Day.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is fun ~ enjoy seeing everyone's morning routines. I used to work from home and am missing it so much! I still get to about once a week.

I work out anywhere from 4-5 mornings a week but trying to figure out a way to end some of the early morning classes and switch them to evening because I am EXHAUSTED. My son leaves for college next year and I'm think more evening workouts then. Anyway, here goes:

5:00am - alarm goes off.
5 to 5:30 - throw down some green tea and a product called 'Lift off' that helps to wake me up. Hurry, hurry and change into workout clothes. Throw on a headband and out the door.
5:45 to 7:00 - gym. Workout with a trainer and a great group of people.
7:15 - arrive home
7:15 to 8:30 - Shower, hair, make-up, feed the dogs, blah blah blah
8:45 to 9:00 - arrive at work - 45 minutes late! Flexible employer - I either work through lunch or stay until 5:30 - most folks work 8 to 4:30.
6 to 7:30 - arrive home, walk the dogs, feed dogs, prepare meal, feed family
7:30 to 8:00 - halfhearted attempt to barely clean kitchen
8:00 to 10:00 - DOWNTIME! Play with the dogs, watch my son's favorite shows with him, try and gather up what I will need the following day.

Rinse, lather, repeat. It's like that movie Groundhog Day.
Isn't today Groundhog Day!?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
5:45 wakeup
Watch Morning Joe until 6:20 or so

Get up, shower, shave, dress.

eat cereal and relax until 7:40, when I begin my 15 minute walk to work.

Start around 8, but first 15 minutes is getting coffee and chatting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment