Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times

Advertisements

4am Get up and out of bed. Shave take a shower, you get the drill.

4:20am Get dressed and ready for work

5am get older sons up

5:30 take son to an early morning religion class and head to work myself

If my wife is home my morning schedule is below:

6am Get to the hospital to check emails, moderate my forums, work on business plan for department.

6:30 head to the cafeteria to get my breakfast of hard boiled egg, sausage, granola, a banana and a rock star energy drink (I have to quit that energy drink some day.)

and back to my desk for more work on the computer

If my wife worked the night before this is my schedule

5:45 make breakfast for kids and wake the younger kids up

6am get everyone out of bed and get them a pancake or french toast.

6:30 clean up the kitchen and have the kids get ready for the day

7:30 when wife gets home from work leave for the hospital

7:50 swipe in for the day at work managing a hospital campus facility

11:30 go to lunch

12: a meeting or back to work.

2pm take a 10 minute break from work

4:30 clock out for the day and head home

5pm Help kids with homework

5:30 have dinner with the family

6:30 more home work if needed, help with spelling tests or math or what have you.

7:30 clean up the kitchen

8pm motivate the younger kids to get ready for bed, brush their teeth and negotiate if they can stay up till 9pm. get my clothes ready for the next day, make sure all my items are ready to take. Make sure that the bathroom is ready for the next day. always hate it if I can't find anything in the morning. Get kids off to bed, unless the kids were successfull at getting to stay up till 9pm.

8:30 have my daughter and or son read to me. Many times my wife takes one and I take the other one. On the nights that my wife works I will read with my son first and then my daughter second. The older kids are on their own.

9pm, lights out for the kids. Put the dog in the garage, and head over to the TV for a little adult viewing. By this time the Disney Channel and Nick have been running the living room TV. If my wife is not working we watch Criminal Minds, Person of Interest, or some other show of that kind. When I am alone I like to catch shows like American Pickers, Storage Wars, any car show, Pawn Stars, or other shows like that.

11pm, head to bed.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-02-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,723,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
when I begin my 15 minute walk to work.
I'm officially jealous. Phoenix is planned almost completely around the automobile. I sometimes wish that I lived in the central area of a city like Chicago or Boston where I could walk to work.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times
I've worked evening and overnight shifts for almost all of a 40-year career, and I will readily admit that the 1-hour transition from comfortable bed to classroom regimentation that characterized my school years was a big factor in that choice.

Nowadays, I work four ten and 1/2-hour overnights a week, 6:45 PM to 5:15 AM, with a half-hour for lunch. I usually wake up on my own around 3PM; shower and get a cup of coffee and check the news over the next hour and a half.

Work is about a 15-minute drive and I can pick up a few extras for lunch or do my banking along the way. My employer provides Internet in the employee breakroom. The on-duty time is intensely micro-managed, so not much varies once the fun begins. I usually eat breakfast, with no hot drinks, before turning in. Laundry and all the other domestic chores are saved for the 3-day weekend, and since my original home is about 60 miles from my current employment, I have most of it rented out to people I know I can trust, and commute on a weekly basis.

Works for me, and it offers more variety than "Ward Cleaver's neighborhood".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-02-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,643,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I'm very curious how others spend the first few hours of their day. What time do you wake up? Do you shower at night or in the morning? Do you make and bring your lunch to work or do you eat out? How do you spend the first few hours at work in the morning? Do you eat breakfast? I ask because I'm trying to see if my morning routine is adequate and am also trying to judge how lazy I am, as odd as that sounds. I'd also like to know how many minutes or hours you spend each day surfing the net, texting girlfriends/boyfriends, scheduling doctors appointments etc..and how often you are late for work. Thanks in advance for your response.
I generally wake up at 630-700am.

Shower, get ready, throw in some fruit and a prepared meal in my lunch bag, juice some fruit and veggies and I am out the door. My prepared meals are generally cooked on Sunday in a slow cooker so I have enough for the week and I portion them out in advance.

I get to work between 8-830am. I dont have a concept of late to work-- I have flexibility and I am not harassed if I get to work early or if I leave early, late, etc. I am NEVER late for a meeting though. I have a Clif bar at my desk for breakfast and drink the remainder of my juice and sometimes a piece of fruit.

Generally my meetings begin at 830--sometimes earlier. I may have a "free" hour in the morning before noon. Free meaning I am not leading meetings, not going to meetings, etc. So I cram some of my own deliverables into that slot.

I don't spend a lot of time throughout the day doing non business work. I may spend a total of 20 min daily doing something non-work related (and by that I mean quickly texting someone, checking personal email on my phone, calling to make an appointment for a dentist, paying a bill, sending an IM to someone at work that is not work related). I have enough work to make an 80 hour work week-- I don't work that kind of time of course, but I manage my day so that I can get as much done as possible so that I am not working too late at night or over the weekends. I generally do 45 hours a week IN the office. I sometimes spend some of my Sunday morning prepping for the new work week. So I probably average 45-50 hours a week. A lot of those hours are hard to really quantify as I check work emails/respond even after the day and that does not feel like "working" to me.

Generally, I leave for home around 5pm - 630pm. Depends on what I have going on--- there are some hard stops though-- this mod, I took some evening classes in my MBA program so I have to leave at just a little before 5pm to get to school by 6pm. Those nights are tough because I dont get home until 1030pm and then I have very little decrompress time before going to bed. I am not doing that again- I prefer the weekend format as I don't like having to leave work a little before 5pm with no flexibility on that.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,952 times
usually wake up by 3 am. try to sleep by 8-9 pm the night before. once i am up, i either eat breakfast or have sex, but i never leave without the sex or the food. so after this stuff, i shower and get ready for work at 6 am.

7 am - leave for work
8 am - arrive at work
spend a few hours going through the motions at work then wait for lunch
12 pm - take a nap (i don't eat at work), and fantasize about girlfriend, then wake up and get back to work
4 pm - leave work and get home
5 pm - have dinner, sex, and then watch some videos on youtube
6 pm to closing (9 pm) - finish business like paying bills, making appt.s, etc

i then repeat the serfdom throughout the week

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM

12,793 posts, read 15,048,285 times
I wish I did, but I just don't have it in me to wake up early to go to the gym or any kidn fo exercise BEFORE getting ready for work! I'm not a mroning person, so I'll probably never do that in my life.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,105,242 times
7am.........turn off the alarm and turn the Jeffersons

7:30am........after i finish watching the jeffersons I then go in the bathroom

8am....come out the bathroom

8:15 to 8:25......hair and face

8:25 to 8:35.......packing up to leave

8:35.......leaving out

8:43......Get on bus

8:56.....walking inside office

Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM

213 posts, read 1,108,480 times
7 AM - Alarm goes off. I get up.

7:15 AM - Run on treadmill for 30 minutes (I try to do this everyday, but sometimes it's just 2 or 3 mornings out of the week....I'm lazy.

7:50 AM - Shower and shave.

8:00 AM - Normal breakfast for me is bowl of cereal and banana.

8:05 AM - Sometimes I will lay down on my couch and nap or at least rest my eyes.

8:45 AM - Leave for work. (20 to 25 minute drive) Kick some tunes on the commute.

9:10 - 9:15 - roll into parking lot.

9:20 AM - Stroll into the office. Usually grap a cup of coffee. Stroll over to my desk/cube.

9:25 AM - Boot up computer.

9:30 AM - My offical start time at work.

9:30 AM to 1:29 PM - Take calls, make calls, orders, emails, fax, some internet browsing here and there. Chat with coworkers.

1:30 PM - Lunchtime. Ususally I leave the office, but eat my lunch in my car. Listen to tunes or a talkshow. I have never actually sat in the cafeteria to eat lunch with coworkers. I like to get away for lunch. Sometimes I will take a nap in my car. I usually have a turkey sandwich with some fruit for lunch. Or I will go eat out somewhere.

2:30 PM - Back at my desk.

2:30 to 5:30 PM - Do more work. Take phone calls, make calls. Follow up work. Orders.

5:30 to 6 PM - Usually space out at my desk, surf the internet, check email, maybe go walk around the building to pass some time. Use the bathroom if I need to.

6 PM - Done. Leave building, get in my car and usually go straight home.

6:30 to 7 PM - Watch the news and prepare dinner. Eat dinner.

7 PM to 10 PM - Watch TV or a movie. Also, I spend a lot of time trying to find other jobs, apply to jobs on the internet. Submit resume and write up cover letters.

10 PM to 10:30 - I get ready for bed and read in bed.

10:30 PM - In bed and try to go to sleep.

7 AM - Get up and do it all again. Ugh.........................!

This is my normal routine Monday through Friday. Pretty much the same stuff every day. It is pretty boring and routine, but that's just how it is.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 AM

27 posts, read 54,024 times
6:00 am - get off work, head home

6:15 am - walk in the door, wind down

6:30 am - look for new job, apply for new job, watch Today Show

7:30 am - go to bed until 2:30 pm

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,850,754 times
I wake up.
I eat breakfast and drink coffee.
I take a dump.
I go to the gym.
I brush my teeth.
I take a shower.
I shave.
I apply cologne and do my hair.
Look in the mirror multiple times to make sure my hair still looks good.
Read the paper for a bit.
Clean my shoes.
Iron my clothes.
Get dressed and spiffed out.
Check my hair one last time.
Leave for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment