Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Only ten? Write back when you hit several hundred. That's what it takes with electronic applications. Fortunately, it's easy to do.

I know used to get 9 calls for every 80 applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM

315 posts, read 564,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The purpose of volunteering is not close a resume gap. People should do it because they enjoy it.
That doesn't mean volunteering can't be put on a resume. I agree, as I only did volunteering I knew I'd enjoy, but nonetheless it is experience of some sort and I have always put them on my resumes.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwEETGirl09 View Post
No volunteer experience. I have done chores around the house thats about it.
Great rebrand it as housecleaning service.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
I know used to get 9 calls for every 80 applications.
I do not receive that many callbacks, and I have many years of work experience.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I do not receive that many callbacks, and I have many years of work experience.

well that was over a 4 week period. Definitely wasn't 9 calls in one week lol

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Don't leave it blank. Lie or something.

The employer will look at your resume and see NOTHING and just delete it. Apply to a small business or call a small business. These big place like McDonalds or Walmart isn't going to take someone with no experience.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
The purpose of volunteering is not close a resume gap. People should do it because they enjoy it.
It would be for me. No I would like to volunteer but last time I tried they wanted to run a background check and application for what no money get lost! I did social work for a year out of school and would go back to it if I were rich because it doesn't pay any $$$.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Yes, you should volunteer to do something you enjoy or believe in, but it CAN help young people gain experience and show they are responsible. I volunteer Saturday mornings at a local non-profit, if I were a young person looking for a job, it would help to have the manager write a recommendation saying that I'm responsible, on time, reliable, and handle cash accurately.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Don't leave it blank. Lie or something.

The employer will look at your resume and see NOTHING and just delete it. Apply to a small business or call a small business. These big place like McDonalds or Walmart isn't going to take someone with no experience.
Bad idea. Potential employers usually ask for references and if you lie about working someplace, you'll be revealed as dishonest when they check it out. NOT what they are looking for. Better to advertise your reliability, good grades, extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, etc. if you're young and looking for your first job.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Yes, you should volunteer to do something you enjoy or believe in, but it CAN help young people gain experience and show they are responsible. I volunteer Saturday mornings at a local non-profit, if I were a young person looking for a job, it would help to have the manager write a recommendation saying that I'm responsible, on time, reliable, and handle cash accurately.

I agree but volunteering should be something that someone is already doing out of the kindness of their heart, not so they can please an employer.

And that seems to be the advice on this board lots of time, "go volunteer, go volunteer", No one shouldn't have to be told to volunteer, it should be something they already decided to do on their own because they enjoy providing that type of help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment