Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM

375 posts, read 800,943 times

Advertisements

So okay, I'm a 24 year old college graduate with a degree in social science education. I haven't found a teaching job yet and to be honest, I don't think I will find one due to my field being over saturated with applicants. I also don't know if teaching is for my. I love history and geography, but those are worthless subjects as far as jobs go.

Anyway, I've had a varied work history, but until my grocery store job ( which i've had for 8 months,i also substitute teach) I really only did work in the summer. I did things like work for my city street department, telemarketing, worked in a trailer plant, and worked as maintenance at a summer camp. So my work history isn't terrible by any means. I've just had different experiences. I really don't know what I want other than i'd like a job with decent pay (to me decent is anything over $25,000 a year. I don't need the high life).

So am I doomed to minimum wage hell, or does anyone have any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM

15 posts, read 59,600 times
I am kind of in the same boat as you (socio major).....actually you are in a better position because you are younger. You may have to work a lower wage job now, but you could find a company on the rise and start there. Put a few years in and you could probably make a career out of it. Question is what is there around you.

There is a company hiring right now where I live. I'd like to get on board with them but I'd have to switch from a job that allows me to live pay check to pay check to a job that drains my savings in 6 months if I don't get a raise. The lady tells me in 3-6 months that would totally be possible but I've been F'd over enough times to make me skeptical. Plus I'm suppose to get married next year so not having the ability to pay my bills is unacceptable at this point in my life.

You are still young, so my advice is you may have to be poor for a while, but if you get your foot in the door with a good company that can blossom into something great.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM

238 posts, read 1,958,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
So okay, I'm a 24 year old college graduate with a degree in social science education. I haven't found a teaching job yet and to be honest, I don't think I will find one due to my field being over saturated with applicants. I also don't know if teaching is for my. I love history and geography, but those are worthless subjects as far as jobs go.

Anyway, I've had a varied work history, but until my grocery store job ( which i've had for 8 months,i also substitute teach) I really only did work in the summer. I did things like work for my city street department, telemarketing, worked in a trailer plant, and worked as maintenance at a summer camp. So my work history isn't terrible by any means. I've just had different experiences. I really don't know what I want other than i'd like a job with decent pay (to me decent is anything over $25,000 a year. I don't need the high life).

So am I doomed to minimum wage hell, or does anyone have any ideas
I'm in a similar boat - in my 20's, social science degree, no direction. It sounds to me like your job history (or lack thereof) will be a bigger problem than your very general educational background. If you don't want to get into teaching (which I didn't either), you're definitely going to need to start from the bottom somewhere and work your way up.

Do you have any interests and/or skills to give you some idea of a career that may be suitable?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,192 times
Not to be harsh, but you really aren't qualified for much either through education or training because of your varied and inconsistent work history. That's just the reality of the world these days. Unemployment rate for people your age is probably over 20%.

I'd say try to get a retail/ fast food type position where they may start you at minimum wage but where there is a clear path to promotion and better things. For example, I have a friend that started making minimum wage at a McDonald's in high school. He worked hard, got promoted to shift manager. He then moved on to managing a retail store in a mall and makes 50k/year in a very low cost of living area without a college degree.

You have the advantage of a college degree, so as long as you work hard, you should be able to stand out. Maybe look at an Apple Store if you have one nearby?

The other alternative is graduate school.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
The only thing I can think of is to try and get into any entry-level coordinator, assistant or admin asst-like positions.

They can be very generic but gets you in the company by assisting higher-ups with their workloads. Meanwhile, you can use that time to gain experience and feel out other positions within the company to possibly move up into.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 59,600 times
[quote=countofmc;29404983

I'd say try to get a retail/ fast food type position where they may start you at minimum wage but where there is a clear path to promotion and better things. [/QUOTE]

Ugh Careful with some of those corporations. Some people will make there way up but I think you can do better then minimum wage. IMO you should be able to find an entry level position making close to that 25k mark you stated. Then again it depends on a lot of factors.

BTW sounds like we have a few "sociologist" here. Sucks we cant find jobs with just the degree but I loved my education. Changed the way I see the world. I was going to be a cop like my dad until one of my good friends who I had known since I was a baby was killed in the line of duty by some worthless Ahole and a high powered rifle.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,610 times
This might sound unconventional, but have you considered working for Trader Joes? They offer pretty high salaries and good benefits. Assistant Store Managers could make 75k and you have grocery store experience. It also seems like a relaxing work environment. Looks like majority of the staff are people in their 20s-30s.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
The only thing I can think of is to try and get into any entry-level coordinator, assistant or admin asst-like positions.

They can be very generic but gets you in the company by assisting higher-ups with their workloads. Meanwhile, you can use that time to gain experience and feel out other positions within the company to possibly move up into.
I think this is the best advice given. These positions usually aren't picky about a particular degree and it gets your foot in the door. The hardest part for college grads is landing that first job and getting experience to pad out the resume. Once you get your first job, that experience is what future employers will be interested in and your degree will most likely not matter as much.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Take federal civil service tests- generic one for college grads. If you're flexible about where you'll move to (remember, it's only a first professional job) you could come up with something interesting when you don't expect it.
Consider a certificate in GIS. That, with geography and social science...

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
This might sound unconventional, but have you considered working for Trader Joes?...
Inspired by Nudetypist's suggestion: Try Costco. They pay considerably more than minimum wage and provide excellent benefits. Their hours are also very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment