Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM

53 posts, read 285,505 times

Advertisements

I did both appeals that wereallowed and both were denied although the employer did not even have his facts straight during the first appeal process. My next step would be to file an appeal with the Superior Court of the county which also costs a fee that I cannot afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM

30 posts, read 33,798 times
Sorry to hear that. I guess every state is different.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,185,637 times
Quote:
Those biased people are wrong to believe the common fallacies that the unemployed are lazy, have little skills or have lost them, are socially inept or not intelligent. Having a generalization about a group of people is wrong because people cannot be grouped into one category; we have unique situations, backgrounds, skills, education and experiences.
You know I read a lot of this, particularly here at C-D , and I just brush it off that these people are just rationalizing, or deliberately narrow their focus so they just see the good, believe the spin that confirms their political biases (whatever those may be)...... or think one bad example (like in the anecedote) is an excuse to generalize, and the brush off the issue.

I can understand that the media doesnt dwell on this because its a story without the happy ending, but I want to face the reality and here what REALLY happens to people.

For example, we had a series of big plant shutdowns here in Dayton, over the 2000s, culminating with the shutdown of a big GM assembly plant....this was profiled in the documentary [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1487120/]The Last Truck[/url=

So, what happened to those worker?. Were did they end up? How did they end up? And what happens to them 5 year out, 10 years out, 15 years out, after they lost their jobs?

Nary a peep.

Stuff like that, the REAL story of the fallout of the downsizing of America.

The story of maybe one factory and what happens to the workers, both white and blue collar, over time. This story has NOT been told.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 AM

53 posts, read 285,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
Sorry to hear that. I guess every state is different.
Especially the south. My buddy, who also lost his job with same employer, went up to NY because he was tired of how the unemployed are treated in GA. Also, the south states are right to fire states. Too many good ole boys still making politics down here. Probably the reason all the big corporations have their main offices in the south.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
You know I read a lot of this, particularly here at C-D , and I just brush it off that these people are just rationalizing, or deliberately narrow their focus so they just see the good, believe the spin that confirms their political biases (whatever those may be)...... or think one bad example (like in the anecedote) is an excuse to generalize, and the brush off the issue.

I can understand that the media doesnt dwell on this because its a story without the happy ending, but I want to face the reality and here what REALLY happens to people.

For example, we had a series of big plant shutdowns here in Dayton, over the 2000s, culminating with the shutdown of a big GM assembly plant....this was profiled in the documentary [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1487120/]The Last Truck[/url=

So, what happened to those worker?. Were did they end up? How did they end up? And what happens to them 5 year out, 10 years out, 15 years out, after they lost their jobs?

Nary a peep.

The story of maybe one factory and what happens to the workers, both white and blue collar, over time. This story has NOT been told.
Many of the unemployed are relying on a spouse or family member, but their income and lifestyle have been cut substantially. The house may have been lost and now they're living in a dumpy one bedroom. The nice car may have been repossessed and now they have a beater. Many are likely on some form of public assistance or private charity aid.

The factory my dad worked at closed five years ago. His effective income probably decreased by 20%-30%. This factory was bought out by another company, which rehired some of the workers, but at a considerable decrease in pay/benefits. Many of his former coworkers either dropped out of the labor force or are working retail/fast food.

I believe many people, far more than is known and documented, are either on the streets, squatting, in homeless shelters, or kill themselves. With our lack of support structure in this country, the hopelessness of getting back in the labor force past a certain age, and bad local economies when you don't have the resources to move, suicide is a viable option.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM

30 posts, read 33,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Nary a peep.

It's very true and disheartening that the story hasn't been told. What is disgraceful is at-will employment, or as Robert_B noted it as "right to fire" which means an employer does not need cause to fire someone. WI is also an at-will state.

I know people here in WI who were let go a year before they were to receive their pensions or right before other benefits kicked in. It's disgusting! I agree with Emigrations that many of the displaced workers who are not able to find new employment are homeless, on public assistance, living with a friend/family members or have killed themselves.

We need to stop buying foreign made products. I remember an episode of Oprah where 3 families removed all the furniture and items in their home and put them outside and not one of the items was American made. If jobs don't return to the US, we're screwed. Check out this website to find American made products. http://www.americansworking.com/

Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
We need to stop buying foreign made products. I remember an episode of Oprah where 3 families removed all the furniture and items in their home and put them outside and not one of the items was American made. If jobs don't return to the US, we're screwed. Check out this website to find American made products. Made in the USA Products Directory
You're the first person I've seen mention this since 2005.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM

329 posts, read 460,981 times
I think USA is screwed already, too bad for me, I m new in the USA and can not find employment.
there won't be job for everybody, this mean that available jobs will pay very low.
they way to go is to get out of the expensive USA., you can live in Indian for 50$ a month, all included. you have Birma as well which is nice. there is Africa too , you can live in the trees for free.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I think USA is screwed already, too bad for me, I m new in the USA and can not find employment.
there won't be job for everybody, this mean that available jobs will pay very low.
they way to go is to get out of the expensive USA., you can live in Indian for 50$ a month, all included. you have Birma as well which is nice. there is Africa too , you can live in the trees for free.
Living in trees won't relinquish my student loan debt.

Now, if it did, I'd reconsider.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM

329 posts, read 460,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Living in trees won't relinquish my student loan debt.

Now, if it did, I'd reconsider.
file bankruptcy son.... or sell dishes like uncle rico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment