Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
It's very true and disheartening that the story hasn't been told. What is disgraceful is at-will employment, or as Robert_B noted it as "right to fire" which means an employer does not need cause to fire someone. WI is also an at-will state.

I know people here in WI who were let go a year before they were to receive their pensions or right before other benefits kicked in. It's disgusting! I agree with Emigrations that many of the displaced workers who are not able to find new employment are homeless, on public assistance, living with a friend/family members or have killed themselves.
Arizona is the same case. I've seen one employer who my brother was working with pull the same. Yet they had hiring just days later for the same jobs they cut that included my brother...

Quote:
We need to stop buying foreign made products. I remember an episode of Oprah where 3 families removed all the furniture and items in their home and put them outside and not one of the items was American made. If jobs don't return to the US, we're screwed. Check out this website to find American made products. Made in the USA Products Directory
I think an issue is the cost. I've seen jeans sold at $45.00 through one made in the USA online store. I can buy just about two/three pairs of Wranglers from the "evil" Walmart starting at $18.99 and they have lasted me for years even though they are made in say Bangladesh or Mexico. T-shirts were $25.00 for the made in the US version through the same online store. That is the same as a band t-shirt at a concert. However if you go back to Walmart, you can find shirts that are as low as $7.99. You can get three of those for the made in the US shirt. When you have smaller pocket books, you cannot spend $45.00 for jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
file bankruptcy son.... or sell dishes like uncle rico
Student loans are not obsolved through bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,535 times
$45.00 for jeans? Where exactly? Last pair I bought was $88.00 but the store has a$ promo you get 50pct off second pair. $17.99 jeans and 7.99 shirts haven't seen those prices since at least back in 1989

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
$45.00 for jeans? Where exactly? Last pair I bought was $88.00 but the store has a$ promo you get 50pct off second pair. $17.99 jeans and 7.99 shirts haven't seen those prices since at least back in 1989

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I was talking about one of Made in America online clothing stores and their prices vs. Walmart clothing and their prices. Obviously, some places are much more expensive judging by your experience.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 PM

329 posts, read 461,164 times
why you can not file bankruptcy as a student?

I know guys who filed bankruptcy, 2 weeks later they received credit cards.

not your fault if you can not get a good paid job. :-(

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

You can, but the student loans wont be absolved in bankruptcy the way most other loans will through bankruptcy proceedings. This means you end up bankrupt, you still need to pay the student loan off.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Sometimes moving or accepting a lower paying job is just not feasible. As for having 2 part-time jobs, what about health insurance?
When Obamacare kicks in in 2014 you will be responsible for buying it yourself. If you cannot prove that you were covered all year by health insurance on your income tax form, you will be fined by the federal government.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM

503 posts, read 1,173,393 times
Quote:

Also, I'm not a student. I got my degree two years ago. Doesn't filing bankruptcy cost money anyway?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM

30 posts, read 33,807 times
Quote:
I think USA is screwed already, too bad for me, I m new in the USA and can not find employment.
there won't be job for everybody, this mean that available jobs will pay very low.
they way to go is to get out of the expensive USA., you can live in Indian for 50$ a month, all included. you have Birma as well which is nice. there is Africa too , you can live in the trees for free.
Why don't you then go and live in India or live in a tree in Africa and leave the USA?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM

14,722 posts, read 14,695,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
It's very true and disheartening that the story hasn't been told. What is disgraceful is at-will employment, or as Robert_B noted it as "right to fire" which means an employer does not need cause to fire someone. WI is also an at-will state.

I know people here in WI who were let go a year before they were to receive their pensions or right before other benefits kicked in. It's disgusting! I agree with Emigrations that many of the displaced workers who are not able to find new employment are homeless, on public assistance, living with a friend/family members or have killed themselves.

We need to stop buying foreign made products. I remember an episode of Oprah where 3 families removed all the furniture and items in their home and put them outside and not one of the items was American made. If jobs don't return to the US, we're screwed. Check out this website to find American made products. Made in the USA Products Directory
I try to buy USA-made whenever possible, but the reality is this practice alone is just avoiding the ultimate truth. It's a new global economy, and there's nothing we nor our politicians can do to change it. Blame NAFTA all you want (and it certainly deserves early blame for our current situation), but with the advent of high-speed internet/cable, globalization was inevitable. The solution is to stop holding onto our low-skilled, industrial past and educate our children to make them viable in the 21st century so they don't get left behind.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,527,639 times
Stop it Natural510, you're making too much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment