Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 PM

2,264 posts, read 975,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With my latest hire starting this week . . .
Do your group healthcare premiums go up at future renewals if some of your members incur high (eg. age related) healthcare costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,194,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The funny thing is, in the old days younger workers made an attempt to look older because that was better for your career back then. Now I guess the closer you look to 12 the better off you are LOL. I’m bringing a skateboard to my next interview.
Be sure to show up with stretched earlobes. You get bonus consideration for having tats on your face and neck.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,998,550 times
It’s all about having a young, non experienced, CHEAP corporate environment these days. Soon as you hit your 30s your days are already numbered in most places. Experience=expensive. And all that matters is the how the current financial quarter looks so your. payroll/expenses can’t look heavy. It kills many companies at the end of the day because a real transfer of knowledge can’t be done to the younger generation as companies would just assume kill all the more experienced vets to the streets as soon as possible to eliminate that excess payroll. Then you have a company with the blind leading the blind

Nobody care slams about skills or experience in most corporate environements anymore

Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,728,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s all about having a young, non experienced, CHEAP corporate environment these days. Soon as you hit your 30s your days are already numbered in most places. Experience=expensive. And all that matters is the how the current financial quarter looks so your. payroll/expenses can’t look heavy. It kills many companies at the end of the day because a real transfer of knowledge can’t be done to the younger generation as companies would just assume kill all the more experienced vets to the streets as soon as possible to eliminate that excess payroll. Then you have a company with the blind leading the blind

Nobody care slams about skills or experience in most corporate environements anymore
Exactly correct. My experience as well.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,716,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Nobody care slams about skills or experience in most corporate environments anymore
Certainly I see this general trend, but as a 35 year old millenial hiring manager I'm also starting to see it push back the other way. I'm surrounded by 26 year old, and we've actually started to hire more 45-60 year olds to balance out the teams and bring in some wisdom and experience. That said, some of these older hires must be taking salary cuts........I can just tell by what we pay them vs. their resume. They are just trying to find a benefit paying job to hang onto for another 5 years until retirement.

To be clear, I've seen age discrimination go both ways and it sucks, but it is very real.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:06 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,669,421 times
I've said it before, I'll say it again... "age discrimination" is applied to those who don't produce any more than a younger coworker, but who demand more pay for longevity. Do that, and you're begging to be let go. But when you have actual experience (and, no, "time on the job" doesn't count, that time needs to be spent learning things that others don't know); nobody gives a fig about your age, nor do they balk at paying.

For those who will inevitably disagree, please explain how/why you believe an employer is going to give up the actual value you present just because you have a few grey hairs. Why are they willing to give up hard, cold cash just to get rid of someone who's "too old"? If the claim is "Because they're a short-sighted idiot who doesn't know any better", why are they in business? Why don't you start a competing business and take all of the money from the fool? You have to explain this to have any validity at all. "But my feelings are hurt!" just doesn't count in the real world.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 PM

12,874 posts, read 9,101,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again... "age discrimination" is applied to those who don't produce any more than a younger coworker, but who demand more pay for longevity. Do that, and you're begging to be let go. But when you have actual experience (and, no, "time on the job" doesn't count, that time needs to be spent learning things that others don't know); nobody gives a fig about your age, nor do they balk at paying.

For those who will inevitably disagree, please explain how/why you believe an employer is going to give up the actual value you present just because you have a few grey hairs. Why are they willing to give up hard, cold cash just to get rid of someone who's "too old"? If the claim is "Because they're a short-sighted idiot who doesn't know any better", why are they in business? Why don't you start a competing business and take all of the money from the fool? You have to explain this to have any validity at all. "But my feelings are hurt!" just doesn't count in the real world.
Because it's not a financial calculation. The belief that older = paid more for the same work is a red herring. Job classes pay within certain ranges for that job, regardless of age.

More often the older worker is more experienced/more knowledgeable than the manager. Age discrimination, like other forms of discrimination, is an emotionally driven action, not rational cost/benefit decision. You're trying to ascribe a rational justification to an emotional process.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,969,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Certainly I see this general trend, but as a 35 year old millenial hiring manager I'm also starting to see it push back the other way. I'm surrounded by 26 year old, and we've actually started to hire more 45-60 year olds to balance out the teams and bring in some wisdom and experience. That said, some of these older hires must be taking salary cuts........I can just tell by what we pay them vs. their resume. They are just trying to find a benefit paying job to hang onto for another 5 years until retirement.

To be clear, I've seen age discrimination go both ways and it sucks, but it is very real.
I know someone who works in a govt medical facility.

After being really burned by poor younger workers, manager actually said she was looking for people older than 40 for nursing jobs.

Why? Because they can do math in their heads. Younger people need to do it on their phones. She can't rely on people who aren't equipped to deal with emergency situations.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,647 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Do your group healthcare premiums go up at future renewals if some of your members incur high (eg. age related) healthcare costs?
I know there have been some pretty big, serious claims around here, even knee replacements and yet no, our premiums actually went down slightly. Whether the organization is absorbing an increase I don't know. In my case the deduction per month from my pay is about $40 medical, $50 dental, $10 vision.

For my PPO plan ($1,800/year maximum out-of-pocket medical, $400 medications) their cost is about $800/month for each employee.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,647 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Because it's not a financial calculation. The belief that older = paid more for the same work is a red herring. Job classes pay within certain ranges for that job, regardless of age.

More often the older worker is more experienced/more knowledgeable than the manager. Age discrimination, like other forms of discrimination, is an emotionally driven action, not rational cost/benefit decision. You're trying to ascribe a rational justification to an emotional process.
That's correct, and in our case experience is valued. In my group and others that we work with we have recently hired a lot of people due to retirements and people getting offers elsewhere. My hire is 28, but the other two in our department are probably in the 50s. In another department there were 3, I would say 2 in the 40s and one Senior manager pushing 60. Since we don't get age information, I have to guess based on appearance and experience. Salaries ranges are fixed for each position, our only flexibility is between starting and midpoint of the range. Naturally a more experienced hire is going to be closer to the midpoint so in many cases we are actually paying the older hires more, just as we are paying more to the older workers that have been here a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment