Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,871 times

Advertisements

As a temp I get to see alot of different workplaces. One thing that seems to be quite common in every place I work is a very young work place. Being just over 50 years old, I seem to be always the oldest worker in the office. It makes it hard to have much in common with the people I work around. It seems like everyone who is hired is 25-40. I do not see anyone my age ever being hired unless it is for a very senior management position.

Where are the baby boomers in today's workplace? I see a few but not many! Have they been put out to pasture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,152,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
As a temp I get to see alot of different workplaces. One thing that seems to be quite common in every place I work is a very young work place. Being just over 50 years old, I seem to be always the oldest worker in the office. It makes it hard to have much in common with the people I work around. It seems like everyone who is hired is 25-40. I do not see anyone my age ever being hired unless it is for a very senior management position.

Where are the baby boomers in today's workplace? I see a few but not many! Have they been put out to pasture?
There are only a few boomers where I work; most of my colleagues seem to be under the age of 45 but over 30. The company I work for doesn't seem to like to hire kids either. I'm 32 and I'm the youngest in my group.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
Not in my office, but in getting an interview and getting hired, DEFINITELY! They only want the cheap young labor because the companies are bottom feeders. I had to leave dates off my resume for sure.

I finally got into a good company that does not do this.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

great post, you got rep.
i have seen this scenario 2 times.
once when i was a temp at 45 years old returning to the work force. and once when i was about to retire and they were replacing us leaving with young people, new hires. in both cases the young people were 20 years old and very very fast. it scared me pretty bad when i was a temp because i was new and they were so very fast.
its was not so scary at 58 on my way out the door as i had years of experience to offset their speed advantage. i also found the young lacked people skills.
to answer your question where are baby boomers, retiring early in droves.
my personal unsolicted opinion as to effect is offices are hurting badly for our skills and demeanor. life goes on but the streets offices and environment are a lot more brutal. by by pot luck and birthday cake. nice has been replaced with ice.
the sky in cryin
(i am probably being a bit dramatic here but tryin to make a point forgive the old guy stuff)

Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
I don't believe I have personally. I am 52 and work as a receptionist. I have had several receptionist jobs and you might think that employers would be interested only in hiring cute young girls to work in this position. Maybe some do. But I have not seemed to have that much difficulty finding a job. So if I've experienced it, it was certainly not universal.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:15 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,692 times
My workplace mostly discriminates against the overweight and those without a bachelor's degree. I see the age discrimination to an extent, but if a 22 year old overweight person and a 50 year old slender person applied for the same job, the 50 year old would be hired.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,518,896 times
I was once between jobs and I went to a headhunting agency in town. It was one of those big shot places in a glass castle type of building.
I was put in a large conference room with a woman, maybe 40 to 45 years.
She had on a suit and looked at me and said "Your resume looks too well-seasoned"
I said, "What?"
She said, "Welll, it makes you look old."
I said, "Isn't that discriminatory?"
She said, "Oh, employers want younger workers."
I said, "I agree, because they want to pay less."
She said, "No, because younger workers are better workers than older workers."
I wished I had had a tape recorder.
I said, "So you generalize like that about everyone/"
She said, "No,but take all the dates off your resume."
I said,'"When I fill out an application, they will want dates to verify employment"
She said, "I can't get you a job, if you have dates going back past 10 years."
I never met such a hostile person. I said, "This isn't for me."
And I left and on the way out, I saw that they were a minority recruiting firm.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,984 times
Definitely. I've even been accused of being a sex offender from another state so the firm could avoid having an interview. 'Well, you look alike, same last name, born the same year.... If you can prove you're not this guy...' I think that's where bad names for women come from.

And my resume shows only ten years of currently applicable work experience. At the bottom it includes a very short reference to 25 additional years... 'other industry stuff'.

If they act confused in an interview I ask if they read the whole thing... 'see bottom'.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I was once between jobs and I went to a headhunting agency in town. It was one of those big shot places in a glass castle type of building.
I was put in a large conference room with a woman, maybe 40 to 45 years.
She had on a suit and looked at me and said "Your resume looks too well-seasoned"
I said, "What?"
She said, "Welll, it makes you look old."
I said, "Isn't that discriminatory?"
She said, "Oh, employers want younger workers."
I said, "I agree, because they want to pay less."
She said, "No, because younger workers are better workers than older workers."
I wished I had had a tape recorder.
I said, "So you generalize like that about everyone/"
She said, "No,but take all the dates off your resume."
I said,'"When I fill out an application, they will want dates to verify employment"
She said, "I can't get you a job, if you have dates going back past 10 years."
I never met such a hostile person. I said, "This isn't for me."
And I left and on the way out, I saw that they were a minority recruiting firm.

That headhunter was wrong about younger workers being better workers, on a whole that is. There is a manager in my department who says, "Give me a worker who has family responsibilities and debt. Now that's a good worker". I agree. Kids right out of college and still living at home or have a one bedroom apartment have no idea what financial responsibilites and debt are. An older worker who has a couple of car notes and a mortgage understands that he must "work or not eat". There's usually no running to mom's house for a meal or a handout when things get tight.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 AM

947 posts, read 3,573,690 times
I have faced age discrimnation, but nothing too bad.

I was working for a radio station where I was the youngest one, at 22 years old. Except for me and one other person, the 8 other people in our office were 50 plus... with 3 of them being 60 plus.

The eldest of the two people, our Chief Engineer and our General Sales Manager didnt like me much because "I was a young whipper snapper not from the area tryin to make waves"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment