Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times

Advertisements

I actually stopped putting my street address on resumes for potential identity theft/safety reasons. You don't know where or to who you're really sending that info out to, at least initially. I just put the city, state and zip so the potential employer knows I'm not unreasonably far from the job.

There's time enough to give the real address, on the new hire paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I actually stopped putting my street address on resumes for potential identity theft/safety reasons. You don't know where or to who you're really sending that info out to, at least initially. I just put the city, state and zip so the potential employer knows I'm not unreasonably far from the job.

^ I second this. I used to do new hire interviews for a major software company and never even looked whether they had a physical address on their resume... HR would deal with all that when they got hired and had to fill in their formal application and paperwork. I also didn't put a mailing or physical address on my resume and still got interviews with a Dept of Defense contractor, a metropolitan hospital, and a state university.

As long as he lists some way to contact him (email & cell phone should work), then he'll be fine. If he still doesn't have a permanent physical address when it comes time to fill out the application and hiring paperwork, is there any way he could use another friend or relative's address as his "permanent address"? I used my parent's address the entire time I was in college, and several months after I graduated, even though they lived in another state.

Edited to Add: IIRC, a prospective employer cannot legally run a background check or contact listed references until you sign a consent form... usually at the interview. Simply sending in a resume doesn't legally qualify as consent in (m)any states (application, maybe; resume, no). I know that as a hiring manager and during my stint in HR, I couldn't give (or ask for) any information other than yes/no they had been employed during the specified dates without a physical copy of a signed release form during a reference check.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-30-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
why wont the other person allow it? so mean...

Because they don't want a bunch of junk mail/your mail cluttering up their box.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Some private mailbox addresses are indistinguishable from street addresses. For instance: 200 Main Street, Suite 123 is actually Box 123 at the mailbox store at 200 Main Street. That sounds like the kind of address your friend needs.
That's the type my friend likes to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Well that makes sense, but how often do companies you are applying with mail you stuff? I've probably received ONE actual written rejection letter and that was years ago! Most just email now.
Then too bad companies ask for addresses on their applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post

Yes, my friend & I have both stopped putting our actual street address on resumes due to ID theft, etc.

And to the few of you who asked why the oher person my friend's going to live with won't allow his personal address, well, he has his reasons. Some people have already answered it right here.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I heard a story on NPR years back how a bunch of homeless people, not the deranged drunk kind, set up camp or kind of a tent city under a highway overpass and they were using it as their address. One guy they interviewed even had a drivers license with the "under the bridge on route 66" address on it.
Seems kinda weird that the guy won't let your friend use gis address while he stays there unless he thinks if he makes it too easy the friend will never leave.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

In all honesty, if I'm going through a bunch of applications or resumes, and weeding out the ones that merit an interview, I'm probably ruling out the guy with no address. To me, it says "instability." If they don't have the stability to have a real address, they probably won't have the stability to stick with a job and its demands.

Please note that a PO Box, in no way, means "instability". The Post Office does not deliver mail to my house, so my "official" address is my PO Box. If you put my street address on a letter, it would likely be returned to you. So, since nothing could get mailed to my physical address, I never provide it.

And in case someone is wondering why the Post Offcie does not deliver to my home, below is the explanation.

"Because of the town’s small size, Middleburg residents do not qualify for home mail delivery, unless they
live more than one-quarter mile from the Middleburg Post Office (at 113 West Washington Street).
Therefore, most residents have a mailbox at the PostOffice, and share in the meeting and greeting which
comes with daily trips to collectthe mail."

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM

There aren't any street addresses where I live (probably because there aren't any streets LOL), so my PO Box in the nearby village is the only "address" that's going to be of any use to anyone who doesn't have a GPS and land nav experience. The village is so small that we don't have any sort of official road names or mail delivery... we're not even in an organized burough/county. My PO Box is on my drivers license, voter registration, vehicle registration, hunting license, property deeds, fed taxes, bank account etc... the DMV/DPS has my coordinates and the nearest milepost on the nearest road in their records, and of course DNR has the coordinates for my land, but no one uses it for anything.

Unlike spencgr - you can put whatever street address you want on my mail, as long as you get my name spelled right and ZIP on it, our Post Mistress will put it in my box because there's only one person it could be for 100 miles. The only time we've ever had a mix-up was when our dopplegangers (another couple downriver with a somewhat similar name) got a package for us because someone misspelled my name and the main sorting depot sent it on the wrong mail plane because it didn't have a box number on it (we sometimes have to get things sent General Delivery or some made up address to override the "no shipping to PO Box" rule during checkout with some online retailers).

I guess it all depends on where you're at and what industry you're in, but I've had resumes and applications cross my desk with PO Boxes, c/o hotel or boarding house, vessel & dock numbers, campsite numbers, and municipal parks/landmarks as the address.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please note that a PO Box, in no way, means "instability". The Post Office does not deliver mail to my house, so my "official" address is my PO Box. If you put my street address on a letter, it would likely be returned to you. So, since nothing could get mailed to my physical address, I never provide it.

And in case someone is wondering why the Post Offcie does not deliver to my home, below is the explanation.

[FONT=serif]"Because of the town’s small size, Middleburg residents do not qualify for home mail delivery, unless they [/FONT]
[FONT=serif]live more than one-quarter mile from the Middleburg Post Office (at 113 West Washington Street). [/FONT]
[FONT=serif]Therefore, most residents have a mailbox at the PostOffice, and share in the meeting and greeting which [/FONT]
[FONT=serif]comes with daily trips to collectthe mail."
[/FONT]
This must be what the IRS means on the change of address form 8822. It says a PO Box can only be used if mail is not delivered to your address. I called, since I don't get mail at home so technically it isn't delivered to my address. I was told I had to list a physical address, which made no sense to me since everything is delivered to my PO Box. I wonder what would have happened if I just used a PO Box on the form. Probably nothing since it's not a punishable offense.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
That's very odd. I got a P.O. Box online last year and the only thing I had to do was to go to the post office and show my ID to get the key. If I had wanted, I could have just go there, apply, pay and get the key right away.
Well, that particular town -- Montclair, New Jersey -- has a very difficult post office to deal with. For example, about 10 years ago (long before the P.O. Box caper) I moved across town. I still lived in the same town. I went to the Post Office to change my address after I had already moved (I had to move quickly for various reasons).

Mistake! The Postmaster decided to forward all my mail to ANOTHER city -- Newark -- for about 3 months, and then it would finally be forwarded to me in Montclair. Why? To this day I do not understand it. The reason I was given was that many people fill out change of address forms for nefarious purposes . What that had to do with me I have no idea (I've never even had a speeding ticket). Why it had to be mailed to Newark is a mystery I'm still trying to figure out. I just moved across town!!!

The Montclair Post Office also decided to simply send some of my mail back to the sender -- without telling me. This included not just "unimportant" mail such as magazines but also my credit card bills!

Once I realized this, I paid online. As a matter of fact, to this day I do not use snail mail for bank statements or credit cards or even utility bills.

Pleading with the post office got me nowhere. They were NOT going to change the way they did things. And they wonder why they are in trouble.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This must be what the IRS means on the change of address form 8822. It says a PO Box can only be used if mail is not delivered to your address. I called, since I don't get mail at home so technically it isn't delivered to my address. I was told I had to list a physical address, which made no sense to me since everything is delivered to my PO Box. I wonder what would have happened if I just used a PO Box on the form. Probably nothing since it's not a punishable offense.
How bizzare. When I filed my 8822, I listed my PO and the IRS didn't contact me to complain. It's not like an auditor would be able to find our place without stopping at the Airport/Trading Post/Post Office or the Roadhouse next door and hiring someone to guide them out anyway. The physical address listed with the PO to get the box is just the nearest milepost on the nearest road... but you can't just get here from there. Maybe they Google Earthed the ZIP and realized that there was a whole lot of nothing but trees, river and mountains and just figured most of my neighbors would lead them straight out into wolf or bear country and abandon them there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment