Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM

359 posts, read 302,308 times

Advertisements

My career mentor finally convinced me to join her industry. I had high hopes for this new job that started less than 3 months ago, as did my parents, after hearing about the various perks including good career advancement potential. Unfortunately it's been nothing but bad news for the past couple of weeks and I feel like the trainer but more . I've been issued several verbal and one written warning by the trainer and training manager and I feel like I'm on the verge of being terminated. The thing is, I still want to work for the company, either in the division I'm in now, or another one and wonder how I can salvage this sinking ship.

Management issued warnings for the following issues:
1. Arriving on time. Several times I arrived right on time, i.e. at 7:59-8:00 am. Training starts 8:00am. Apparently that did not meet their expectations despite the training manual indicating the shifts as 8-4.

2. Arriving late once. Arrived outside the building at 7:53am and by the time I had gone upstairs and to the restroom, it was 8:02am. I was written up for that and made to provide a reason for the lateness. Yes, only 2 minutes. The warning was entered into my file for HR.

3. Performance issues: management thinks I'm lagging behind, as evidenced by my some below average test scores (the training is evaluated with periodic tests). The trainer insinuated that if I show a big improvement in the next few tests, plus a positive attitude and willingness to learn, I might pass the training. But the manager went as far as to bar me from any further testing until I convinced her for another chance.

4. I'm told I'm not interested in implementing performance improvement measures that management suggested. They suggested I stay at the end of the day (unpaid overtime) to catch up. I haven't decided whether or not to do that (I have reservations) about doing overtime especially since I haven't been guaranteed the job yet (we have to pass training before we can be promoted to the next level).

5. One day I was feeling drowsy and somewhat dizzy. Since the company doesn't offer sick days to trainees and they require a doctor's note even if you're absent one day, I tried to tough it out. I'm not 100% sure why it happened, whether it was due to only fatigue or an underlying medical condition, but while performing training exercises with a partner (on a computer) and seated in a chair, all of a sudden I nodded off. I was woken up by the manager and in a 1 on 1 meeting after the class, she reprimanded me for sleeping on the job even though I believe it was no more than a minute. This is the first time this sort of thing has ever happened to me. She asked me for an explanation and then recorded it in my file (again, for HR). Since I admitted to poor sleep the night before, she said that means it's not medically related (how does she know...is she a doctor? I'm wondering if it was related to a blood sugar issue in combination with the fatigue.). She was rather upset and told me the incident was completely unacceptable.

Needless to say, it's clear I'm not meeting their performance objectives and I've been informed that my job is at risk, not once, but three times. I suppose termination is inevitable but the problem is I don't have UI to fall back on since my benefits ran out earlier this year and this new job didn't last long enough to accumulate the hours needed.

During my last conversation with the manager, she pulled out my HR file and rattled off all the "infractions". When I mentioned that I may want to get HR involved and ask them something, the manager demanded to know why. I declined to comment...actually I'm not yet sure what I'll ask, but I think it's along the lines of whether I can qualify for future employment with the company (once I have more industry experience with a competitor, have a handle on performance issues, etc.). I get the distinct feeling that my manager will not support me in applying to another position and according to what I understand from company policy, a transfer request requires a manager's approval. She also rejected my idea of redoing the training at a later date; I even offered to do the hours pro bono, again, she rejected that too. This despite the fact they are currently hiring new recruits to start the next training period soon. Apparently this job has a high turnover rate. I had that suspicion before starting and now it's been confirmed.

So when all is said and done, I wonder how to proceed with any upcoming meetings with management and/or HR, knowing they want me gone. Should I leave this training gig off my resume, even if applying to a competitor? If I leave it off, I'll have a 13+ month unemployment gap to explain. I was in school for most of this time, however still have the gap.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 07-11-2013 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: submitted thread prematurely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
My career mentor finally convinced me to join her industry. I had high hopes for this new job that started less than 3 months ago, as did my parents, after hearing about the various perks including good career advancement potential. Unfortunately it's been nothing but bad news for the past couple of weeks and I feel like the trainer but more . I've been issued several verbal and one written warning by the trainer and training manager and I feel like I'm on the verge of being terminated. The thing is, I still want to work for the company, either in the division I'm in now, or another one and wonder how I can salvage this sinking ship.
Need more info. What specifically are you supposed to be doing, and for what did you receive the warnings?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM

359 posts, read 302,308 times
I wanted to add that I will have tests done and see a doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask about the dozing off incident. The problem is that this may be too late to save the job since trainees are set to move onto the next phase of the onboarding process, likely leaving me behind. I wonder if submitting medical documentation after being terminated could positively affect my eligibility to be rehired.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 AM

363 posts, read 515,016 times
I am so sorry- Sounds like a string of bad luck.
I would not put these people on a resume, or even try to get rehired.
A 13 month gap is not too, too bad.

Of course see a doctor about the nodding off thing for yourself, but this company doesn't sound like they will rehire anyone based on medical evidence after termination.
If you did submit medical evidence, the worst that could happen is they don't rehire.

Really, very sorry to hear this

Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
That's not "bad luck", it's bad behavior from a trainee. Seriously, if you're brand new and cannot be at your workstation ready to go at 8AM, why would they bother? Add in the fact that your performance is lagging behind and you've pretty much sealed the deal.

The medical thing? If I'm that manager, I'm getting rid of you even faster, before you're eligible for FMLA benefits and decide to use that as a crutch and an excuse for a lack of ability. Do t waste your time - throw yourself into working really hard to salvage this opportunity, or start looking for another one to burn through.

I'll share one piece of advice, goes a long way in life:

15 minutes early is on time. On time is late, and we're not even going to talk about actually late.

Show some respect.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
With a track like that, I wouldn't count on being with this company much longer.

The problem isn't with your boss, it's with you and your attitude.

Get to work on time!!! If your shift starts at 0800, you make sure you're in the office and READY TO WORK at exactly 0800. You don't come in at 0802...that's a tardy. I can't stand tardy employees and will terminate someone on tardies alone..even if they are a top notch employee...if you can't manage your own time, I can't trust you to manage mine (the time I'm paying you for)

As for the medical thing...it's not a medical thing...it's a personal thing...maybe you should go to bed earlier, eat breakfast and don't allow yourself to fall asleep on the job. If you do have low blood sugar ( my dd does) you make sure YOU manage it...not your boss, not your coworkers...YOU.

I'd start looking for something else ASAP and not within this company....you've already made an impression and it's not good.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
It's always easier to find a new job when you have a job, even one you haven't been at for long. You can explain that the job was significantly different from what you expected, and that's why you're looking for a new position - and then be sure to look for a job that is quite different from the one you're leaving, a job that doesn't rely on getting to work on time, for example, or a job that simply has work hours later in the day.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
That's not "bad luck", it's bad behavior from a trainee. Seriously, if you're brand new and cannot be at your workstation ready to go at 8AM, why would they bother? Add in the fact that your performance is lagging behind and you've pretty much sealed the deal.

15 minutes early is on time. On time is late, and we're not even going to talk about actually late.
I agree. The OP doesn't have any sort of a grounding about being an employee and the general theme throughout the post is one of, "everyone else is to blame". The only honest path the OP should take at this point is to go into a meeting with the supervisors and agree that the tardiness is inexcusable and the test results are poor. Ask for guidance and promise that if given the opportunity, OP will ensure that there will be no further infractions or poor performance issues. Oh, by the way, one should never do this unless it's honest ...

I'll add to the quote about tardiness. All the years I was an employer I made it very clear from the beginning that, "If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late and if you're late you're fired". For all the years I was an employee I was never on the job later than 15 minutes before the official start of the day. Usually at least 30 minutes was the norm, allowing me to get into the groove, sort out my calendar, get the jobs in order of priority, etc.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Even more telling than being late is the fact the OP won't spend one moment on improving his/her work performance unless compensated. Even if it's to save his/her job.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
I keep a mattress in the office I take naps on. But I'm not in the probationary period. I'm surprised it's not an immediate firing.

One thing I heard was to watch people during their probation. That's when employees are on their best behaviour. It only gets worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment