Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,948,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Well theatre is one of the worst degrees that I think a person could get, if she can get a good job than so can you. . Ask her how she got her job, maybe she knew someone? Can she get you on?
She did know someone. She dumped me and won't talk to me anymore becuase she thinks I'm lazy and don't want to work.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
I'm in a similar situation as you if not worse. I'm 28 years old still living at home. I'm thinking about getting my masters degree, have you thought about that? It's difficult seeing your peers already having successful careers while we're still struggling. Why did you leave your last job? The main important thing is too remain positive and never give up.
It's a tuff world and graduate school is a big commitment.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,605,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
At age 32, what type of job or career should I look for?

In 2004 I graduated college with a BA in Cinema-TV-Arts.

I'm very very lost on what jobs to look for or what training I should go back to school for,

Since I live in California and gas is $4.25 a gallon and a basic one bedroom dump apartment is $1,500 a month I won't work for $8-$10 an hour.

This 26 year old girl I was dating for a month got a job working as a publicity research assistant job earning $18 an hour and $25 an hour when she works overtime hours. Plus she gets health insurance,dental inurance and monthly bonusus. She didn't have an experience except for a college degree. She usually works 50 hours per week.

My friend who I know from high school who didn't even finish community college works for a advertising and marketing company and he earns $80,000 a year before taxes.

Over the 9 year I have been out of college the only jobs that would hire me would be part time $8-$9 an hour part time retail jobs.

My reasoning for this is because I feel that since I have aspergers syndrome and mild cerebral pulsy that no one will give me a chance. I even struggle getting these part time minimum wage jobs.

For the past 9 years I will end up going to 100 job interviews only to get 0 jobs.

Just because I have aspergers and mild cerebral pulsy doesn't mean I should be treated like someone who is mentally retarded and only be able to get a part time minimum wage job.

I also own a car and drive a car.

Californias high housing prices have forced me to live with my parents.

Moderator cut: snip
No matter what job I get I'm a hard worker, arrive early or ontime and follow directions.

Is my aspergers and mild cerebral pulsy causing descrimination against me?

I'm wondering if I moved to Dallas,Texas or Seattle,Washington if it would be easier for me to find a job? In the Los Angeles area its very superficial in the job world.

Currently I drive a 1999 toyota camry and only have a basic Verizon non-smartphone(talk and text fliphone).

May people in their 30s are already married and drive new cars and are having babbies. Many of these people didn't even go to college.
Your resume has a number of problems, from grammatical errors to vocabulary issues. It is also not specific enough in places and does not really impress in terms of showing success at previous jobs. It really needs work. This resume alone could keep you from getting any interviews. Your disabilities are not an excuse for not doing good enough research on how to improve your resume. As for the grammar, perhaps one of your friends could help with that.

Also, you are spelling cerebral palsy wrong.

You need to fix up that resume and then work on getting a real job in a large company with opportunities to move up. Your resume does not really indicate how much technical knowledge you have either, and you didn't even indicate your major. Maybe this is a troll post?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-01-2013 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: removed personal information in quoted post

Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Your resume has a number of problems, from grammatical errors to vocabulary issues. It is also not specific enough in places and does not really impress in terms of showing success at previous jobs. It really needs work. This resume alone could keep you from getting any interviews. Your disabilities are not an excuse for not doing good enough research on how to improve your resume. As for the grammar, perhaps one of your friends could help with that.

You need to fix up that resume and then work on getting a real job in a large company with opportunities to move up. Your resume does not really indicate how much technical knowledge you have either, and you didn't even indicate your major. Maybe this is a troll post?
This is no troll post. I'm a real person. My resume says Cinema-TV-Arts on it. My sucess at jobs hasn't been that great. Usually I will go to the job interview and fail the interview or get the job and get fired after a week or a month.

The reason for this is my aspergers causes me to speak in a mono tone voice, have blank stares, take a longer time to respond to questions. Have facial tics. Most people don't understand my problem. My cerebral pulsy cuases me to walk wobbly

Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

What type of large company would you recommend?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,912,238 times
Quote:
I graduated college with a BA in Cinema-TV-Arts.
and

Quote:
I have aspergers syndrome and mild cerebral pulsy
can make working life hard for anyone.

i'm sorry for your situation. but at least you're able to get jobs! that's more than a lot of ppl can say these days.

hang in there.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,402,625 times
Have you tried going through a temp agency? Something like Volt Volt Job Search | You deserve a job you love | Volt ? They are huge in the Seattle area, I know many people who have gotten full time positions at Microsoft after temp contracts there through Volt. Often employers are more willing to take a chance on a contractor, making it a little easier to get a job, if you do well you may get a full time offer.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Have you tried going through a temp agency? Something like Volt Volt Job Search | You deserve a job you love | Volt ? They are huge in the Seattle area, I know many people who have gotten full time positions at Microsoft after temp contracts there through Volt. Often employers are more willing to take a chance on a contractor, making it a little easier to get a job, if you do well you may get a full time offer.
I wonder if I would have a better chance finding work in the Seattle area than the Los Angeles area

Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM

650 posts, read 1,817,687 times
You seem to mention your disability quite often, so it leads me to believe that you're entering your interviews expecting to be rejected due to your disability. That is your first problem, you need to go in there and be the most confident guy they've met. Make them forget about your disabilities and talk them up. It's all about getting them to like you.

Also don't LA have a department of labor that helps people with disabilities land jobs? Look into that, they will put you somewhere. You can also try applying for city jobs, which usually only require any degree.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Is the job market better in Seattle than LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment