Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:48 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,937,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I think you ought to do a full court press on obtaining full disability and take what benefits you can muster. Now! There are many on disability payments who are in far less disabled situations than you. I read articles that say a lot of people on disability are in fact able to work. You need money, income. Your parents will not be around forever or even in their older years won't be able to help you.

Second, after collecting disability and KNOWING all the rules about working while on disability, you should start a blog to gain more skills in communicating in a non-threatening environment. Post your blog location on CD and ask people to subscribe to it. Some will. Get feedback. Doing this will build confidence. You can make your blog about the plight of disabled people finding work. Make a u tube video as long as it is polished and present yourself to the public. More confidence building. You never know when you might snag a relationship from such. Ideally, you ought to try to work from home at something as long as any income does not stop any disability payments you get.

Third, volunteer somewhere. Perhaps some social institution. That will build up references if you do a good job. It will also help your self-esteem and your communications with other people.

You are swimming upstream and sadly enough our culture typically rejects anyone they consider not "normal". You are in a fight in a sense and you have to equip yourself with every advantage you can muster.

I realize we live in an anti-faith, anti-religious, anti-church culture, but you might visit some churches and get to know people in one that you might like and who might have a more empathetic attitude. Perhaps a large church would hire you on. I think you are mistaken to refuse to work for 8 to 10 dollars an hour but that is your call.

Get the disability rating though.
Id rather not be depandant on the government for SSI money.

I'm able to work and can work.

Volunteering is something that I did a lot of in college in internships.

I'm tired of hanging around my parents house,going to shopping malls all day.

My self esteem isn't that great now

Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM

788 posts, read 1,251,125 times
I hear a lot of complaints from you and a lot of bad mouthing of others. That will not help you or get people to want to help you.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I hear a lot of complaints from you and a lot of bad mouthing of others. That will not help you or get people to want to help you.
When you struggle it's hard to stay positive. How have I bad mouthed others??

Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,024,298 times
Any luck with the links?

Find someone who can help you (a professional) fix up your resume. If you aren't even getting interviews that means your resume is the problem.

Now is not the time to point fingers and blame others, now is the time to say "okay what I have been doing is not working, I need to try something else."

Also, look for possibly employment coaches in your area, it costs money but they will assess you and tell you what to do to help you get a job.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Working for $8-$10 an hour is what teenagers make. Many people with less education and less internships than me have real salaried jobs because they are good looking,good talkers.

Most normal white people even if they are fat woman have real jobs or can get real jobs if they want them.

I'm age 32 now and don't want to be living with my parents the rest of my life either. I don't want to have no girlfriend or wife the rest of my life either. I want a girlfriend,a newer car,a living wage job and my own apartment in a non gang ghetto area.

For a month I was dating a fat white girl who was age 26.
I would not exactly call this a positive outlook on others. Based on those statements alone I would reject you already. Before ever even having met you.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,821,592 times
You say you've had a variety of retail jobs. How long did those jobs last? What's the longest span you've been employed by one employer? Why have you been let go? If you're spending your days "hanging around" at your parents' house and "going to shopping malls all day", how is that productive?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I would not exactly call this a positive outlook on others. Based on those statements alone I woul reject you already. Before ever even having met you.
This is too hostil and I shouldn't behave and think like this.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM

No, that's reality.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You say you've had a variety of retail jobs. How long did those jobs last? What's the longest span you've been employed by one employer? Why have you been let go? If you're spending your days "hanging around" at your parents' house and "going to shopping malls all day", how is that productive?
For a year I worked at a non profit agency on a stipend. It was through americorps vista. I also worked at whole foods bagging groceries from May 2005-April 2006. I was age 24-25 working at whole foods. When I graduated from the university I was age 23 in June 2004.

The reason I quit whole foods is because they wouldn't promote me because they thought I was mentally retarded. Also I was working at a whole foods store 30 miles away from where I live. Back in 2006 there was 3 whole foods stores within an 8 mile distance of where I live. Whole Foods lied and said the stores near me had no openings when they did.

I was spending more in gas driving to wholefoods 30 miles away to bag groceries.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:29 PM

I have had other office and retail jobs where they didnt like me and fired me and I felt I was descriminated against
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment