Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,947,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
You seem to mention your disability quite often, so it leads me to believe that you're entering your interviews expecting to be rejected due to your disability. That is your first problem, you need to go in there and be the most confident guy they've met. Make them forget about your disabilities and talk them up. It's all about getting them to like you.

Also don't LA have a department of labor that helps people with disabilities land jobs? Look into that, they will put you somewhere. You can also try applying for city jobs, which usually only require any degree.
I do go into interviews forgetting about my disability. I do the best I can.

I'm going to apply for city government jobs.

There is no department of labor that is able to place me in a job. I tried california rehab with no luck

Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,716,889 times
Take a small bank loan and open a small shop/convenience store. Business is the way to go.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
Instead of harping on what you can't do and all the jobs you're not getting, redo your resumé as others have suggested and start sending it out. And check your spelling. As has already been pointed out (after which you misspelled it again), it's cerebral pAlsy not pUlsy.

If you've seriously been out of work for 9 years and haven't been able to land even one interview then something is very wrong. It's hard to believe that even your parents haven't guided you towards professionals who can lead you in a good direction. Good luck.

PS: munna21977 - and how would you suggest he guarantee a loan under the circumstances? He has no assets, no income, no work history and therefore no credit history. Plain daft advice.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,954,084 times
Go into IT/programming or the stereotypical "geek" jobs. They will tend to overlook "strange" people if you have the skills. If all else fails go on SSI or get a low wage night shift job. Anything that requires excessive contact with people is a no go I'm afraid. It seems people here have no idea how debilitating aspergers can be in this area.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Instead of harping on what you can't do and all the jobs you're not getting, redo your resumé as others have suggested and start sending it out. And check your spelling. As has already been pointed out (after which you misspelled it again), it's cerebral pAlsy not pUlsy.

If you've seriously been out of work for 9 years and haven't been able to land even one interview then something is very wrong. It's hard to believe that even your parents haven't guided you towards professionals who can lead you in a good direction. Good luck.

PS: munna21977 - and how would you suggest he guarantee a loan under the circumstances? He has no assets, no income, no work history and therefore no credit history. Plain daft advice.
The last job I had was in February 2012 and it was a retail job selling cell phones. The company went out of bussiness. They only were giving me 10 hours a week and paying me $9 an hour.

A month ago I started applying for jobs with no one responding not even for an interview. For the past 9 years I have been struggling to land a stable 9am-5pm salaried job. I have never had anything but mediocre retail jobs that a high school kids can get. Even these low paying retail jobs many times aren't willing to accept me for who I am.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,585,132 times
I think you ought to do a full court press on obtaining full disability and take what benefits you can muster. Now! There are many on disability payments who are in far less disabled situations than you. I read articles that say a lot of people on disability are in fact able to work. You need money, income. Your parents will not be around forever or even in their older years won't be able to help you.

Second, after collecting disability and KNOWING all the rules about working while on disability, you should start a blog to gain more skills in communicating in a non-threatening environment. Post your blog location on CD and ask people to subscribe to it. Some will. Get feedback. Doing this will build confidence. You can make your blog about the plight of disabled people finding work. Make a u tube video as long as it is polished and present yourself to the public. More confidence building. You never know when you might snag a relationship from such. Ideally, you ought to try to work from home at something as long as any income does not stop any disability payments you get.

Third, volunteer somewhere. Perhaps some social institution. That will build up references if you do a good job. It will also help your self-esteem and your communications with other people.

You are swimming upstream and sadly enough our culture typically rejects anyone they consider not "normal". You are in a fight in a sense and you have to equip yourself with every advantage you can muster.

I realize we live in an anti-faith, anti-religious, anti-church culture, but you might visit some churches and get to know people in one that you might like and who might have a more empathetic attitude. Perhaps a large church would hire you on. I think you are mistaken to refuse to work for 8 to 10 dollars an hour but that is your call.

Get the disability rating though.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,292,473 times
Do NOT move away from your parents over this unemployment issue. Their emotional and social support of your is especially important given your aspergers and cerebral palsy. They love you and know you better than anybody.

Have you tried getting a job delivering pizzas (in a safe neighborhood)? You have a car and a good driving record; there are probably other delivery services that would hire you, like flowers, auto parts, etc.

My husband delivered auto parts during the day and pizzas at night in his 20s when he couldn't find anything else. He said some of those companies would hire anyone with a car, a license and a pulse, LOL. It paid his rent and got his resume started.

Once you have a steady job on your resume, employers will be more likely to hire you for other things.

Also, California has some great non-profits focused on support of disabled individuals. Their autism support networks are supposed to be the best in the country! Start calling them and asking about employment support, job placement services or even unpaid internships. They'll want to help you.

PS: Consider attending support groups for autistic/aspergers adults. You's benefit from contact with others in the same situation.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Go into IT/programming or the stereotypical "geek" jobs. They will tend to overlook "strange" people if you have the skills. If all else fails go on SSI or get a low wage night shift job. Anything that requires excessive contact with people is a no go I'm afraid. It seems people here have no idea how debilitating aspergers can be in this area.
I wonder what skills are needed to work in IT??

Old 08-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Do NOT move away from your parents over this unemployment issue. Their emotional and social support of your is especially important given your aspergers and cerebral palsy. They love you and know you better than anybody.

Have you tried getting a job delivering pizzas (in a safe neighborhood)? You have a car and a good driving record; there are probably other delivery services that would hire you, like flowers, auto parts, etc.

My husband delivered auto parts during the day and pizzas at night in his 20s when he couldn't find anything else. He said some of those companies would hire anyone with a car, a license and a pulse, LOL. It paid his rent and got his resume started.

Once you have a steady job on your resume, employers will be more likely to hire you for other things.

Also, California has some great non-profits focused on support of disabled individuals. Their autism support networks are supposed to be the best in the country! Start calling them and asking about employment support, job placement services or even unpaid internships. They'll want to help you.

PS: Consider attending support groups for autistic/aspergers adults. You's benefit from contact with others in the same situation.
I tried applying to be a delivery driver. First of all you need to tell your car insurance company that you are using your car for deliveries. You need to get additional coverage. Many bussiness have told me my 1999 Toyota Camry is too old to be used as a delivery car. Many bussiness require a car year 2005 or newer.

Moving away to Texas or Seattle would be hard for me with no support but atleast it may be easier to find a job and apartments are cheaper. Maybe it would be easier to meet a girl as well.

Twice a week I see a therapist and once a week go to an aspergers group therapy

Working for $8-$10 an hour is what teenagers make. Many people with less education and less internships than me have real salaried jobs because they are good looking,good talkers.

Most normal white people even if they are fat woman have real jobs or can get real jobs if they want them.

I'm age 32 now and don't want to be living with my parents the rest of my life either. I don't want to have no girlfriend or wife the rest of my life either. I want a girlfriend,a newer car,a living wage job and my own apartment in a non gang ghetto area.

For a month I was dating a fat white girl who was age 26. She lived with her parents and the reason she dumped me after a month is because I didn't have a job and was struggling to find a job. She was frustrated that I couldn't find a job in 3 weeks.

If you are age 32 living in California if you live with your parents and don't have a job people wonder about you.

If you are a white person at age 32 and work for $8-$10 per hour people especially girls really really wonder several things about you.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 PM

People always say if you work for min. wage of $8-$10 per hour it's your own fault. People say that workers stuck at these low wage jobs didnt finish high school,do not speak English,didnt go to college or are mentally retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment