Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,140,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I would never say that Accounting is lower stress then IT, you have taxes you have to file all the time, you cannot make mistakes, and what seems like constant communications with clients and the IRS if something does come up.
Maybe. The accountants I know seem to handle it OK, but I don't really know what their work day is like.

Geologist I can speak for. That is definitely relatively low stress.

And librarian too.

If someone just wanted an easy job that paid them enough to live, I'd go with librarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM

27 posts, read 61,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
However, since you are switching from a high paying field to something that is potentially going to pay much less, I would just go with something you like. Otherwise, you will be very frustrated and feel like you took a step down for no reason, and potentially with 2 years or so of school too. It doesn't make sense to just pick 'something' low stress when you are going to be taking such a significant paycut.
Thanks for the reply. Still trying to find out what I might really love doing. As long as it doesn't involve any public speaking. I think librarians may give talks and that sort of thing, accountants may have to do presentations as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM

143 posts, read 222,531 times
try dental hygienist ! It is low stress but you have to stand on your feet all day long. It will take 2 years of training, pay is good and there is work all over the country.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM

59 posts, read 136,384 times
I went to school for CAD drafting. I worked as an architectural drafter for about 3 years. 95% of the time you are sitting at your desk drawing. I would have to make one or two phone calls a day and communicate with designers in the office in charge of the project. Very low stress unless we had tight deadlines. Salary is about 35-40k per year. I am now working in construction management which is high stress and too many meetings, phone calls, negotiations, etc. If drafters had higher salaries I would still be doing it over CM. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM

27 posts, read 61,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
try dental hygienist ! It is low stress but you have to stand on your feet all day long. It will take 2 years of training, pay is good and there is work all over the country.
I don't have the most steady hands, this probably wouldn't work for me. I really appreciate the idea though!

@Eye-duh-hoe

Thanks for the CAD tip! I will look into that.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Your real life experiences really help.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,244,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So you want no stress, no presentations, a 40 hour a week schedule with no extra work, and you want 45K to do it?

The only jobs I can think of is a union trade, but then you will have to perform physical labor.
Try putting up with a maniac foreman calling you every name in the book at the top of his voice and see if you think union trades are "no-stress".

Construction is high stress, because money is directly made or lost on the immediate physical productivity of the worker, which means they rush the @#$% out of you.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM

5,051 posts, read 7,256,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Try putting up with a maniac foreman calling you every name in the book at the top of his voice and see if you think union trades are "no-stress".

Construction is high stress, because money is directly made or lost on the immediate physical productivity of the worker, which means they rush the @#$% out of you.
I agree and will add that construction is inherently dangerous.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,856,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If someone just wanted an easy job that paid them enough to live, I'd go with librarian.
Libraries are going the way of the dinosaurs with the increasing popularity of e-books and Kindles.

School districts are heavily cutting back library staff. I just heard that the high school I attended laid off its library aide a couple of years ago, and they are actually considering getting rid of the librarian as well and just assigning the students e-book readers. The shift is happening now.

In 20 years, librarians will be as in demand as Mississippi riverboat captains.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM

12 posts, read 31,730 times
it seems like it's just a public speaking issue vs. a career issue.

if that's the case.. hit up your doctor and ask for propranolol and xanax.

Just take those two together when you have to do a presentation or meeting and you'll be chillin like a villian. I have an issue with the same thing.

If this isn't the case... you can always try looking for IT positions where you don't do presentations/meetings... there's really no need to change careers because you don't like public speaking.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,450,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Engineering but you'd have to start all over in school.
Engineering low stress? No public speaking? are you kidding me...talk about from the frying pan and into the fire....ha

I am an engineer in an oil and gas company and let me tell you everyday it's a pressure cooker since millions of dollars are on the line. Then senior management constantly wants updates on projects or issues and you have to be very familiar with powerpoint and presentation techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment