Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM

319 posts, read 611,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2014 View Post
1. I am through trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I refuse to continue doing something I hate for the rest of my life.

2. I have already mentioned my defined stressors in my current occupation in this thread. They are giving presentations, and being on-call.

Bingo.

It's been my dream for quite some time now to start or buy a business. But, just don't enough capital at this point. Are you running a franchise?
Franchises are only good for regional support and Advertising. Trade businesses require licensure, you can't franchise that. I am in a situation now where my satellite business has grown to the point where I need to buy or lease another building, once I do that I am required to have a Qualifying License holder on site.

I am paying for three of my guys to get licensed. I then have to secure that investment with an employment agreement and a No Compete.

I am spending 8k on the hopes that one out of three will pass and I have to cross my fingers that the guy won't get cocky and run out and start his own business while trying to steal customers.

Is it worth it, YES.

Once I have 4 stand alone locations throwing off 5 to 8 M each, I may look into franchising, until then, I am a small town business taking care of my customers.

When I was doing PC repair and small networks out of my garage all I had was 10k in savings. I only took 10% of every job as salary. I had babies and my wife was a stay at home, this was 91. It was tight but the experience was worth it.

Start on the weekends with your business idea, work your a$$ off to self fund. Make sure you are not jumping into the fire. You may just be disgruntled right now, it may not be your personality to be a people pleaser.

As a business owner, there is no choice, every customer could mean the difference between heartache or success. You have to be committed, a business is a child, nurture it and it grows strong, abuse it and it could ruin you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Libraries are going the way of the dinosaurs with the increasing popularity of e-books and Kindles.

School districts are heavily cutting back library staff. I just heard that the high school I attended laid off its library aide a couple of years ago, and they are actually considering getting rid of the librarian as well and just assigning the students e-book readers. The shift is happening now.

In 20 years, librarians will be as in demand as Mississippi riverboat captains.
My city has opened up half a dozen libraries in the past 5 years. My county had none, but decided last year to get into the library business, so it is opening up the state's first e-book library. They'll have 100 or so e-readers to lend and an e-library with thousands of titles.

It seems counter-intuitive to me, knowing that my kids have almost never had school assignments that required a trip to the library. Somebody must be using them.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I am curious as to an engineering job with 'low stress'. No idea where you got that misconception from, but engineering is no less stress than any other job IMO.

I think the OP should just become a professional poker player, or trade stocks online. That way you run your own show, hours, and if you can mentally handle it, YOU can control your own stress.
The problem with poker and stocks is that even the most astute player, meticulous researcher and highly developed mathematical mind cannot make up for the great swings in variance caused by factors beyond his or her control. In poker, the downswings are as inevitable as upswings, and no degree of skill can compensate. In the stock market, there are many factors that come into play that, again, the speculator has no control over. No matter how well-bankrolled you are, the stress that comes with the unpredictability of things can be overwhelming. Some of the best poker players, or at least the ones who have made millions, are now selling their possessions - including their World Seriers of Poker championship bracelets - for pennies on the dollar. It takes a very special person - intelligent, disciplined, lucky - to make a living playing poker.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM

27 posts, read 61,081 times
OK, I think we have established that engineering jobs would require public speaking, so they're out.

Any other good careers out there that do not require public speaking?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
OK, I think we have established that engineering jobs would require public speaking, so they're out.

The main one is accounting I think. But I am shocked to find out that public speaking is involved in a engineering job.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
I guess it depends on the accounting position, but I used to be an accountant, and had to do quite a bit public speaking bits--either to provide training to the group, or discussion of the performance of financials to higher ups, or back when I was at a cpa firm, seminars to the client and to different internal groups. Public accounting very stressful and lots of hours. Private accounting was a bit better. But the least stressful occupation, which I switched to a few years ago, was as an administrative assistant. The pay is about $50K, hours are 8-5p, i rarely ever take work home and if I do (maybe once every 4 months), it just takes no more than 1/2 hour to complete, I don't do any public speaking, and I do overtime once a year to help with an annual event. Best decision of my life.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:

Engineering jobs do not require a lot of persuasive public speaking. There's a reason why engineers are usually seen as people with poor personal and/or people management skills.

Some non-management engineers will have to give presentations, such as transportation engineers, but it is relatively rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The problem with poker and stocks is that even the most astute player, meticulous researcher and highly developed mathematical mind cannot make up for the great swings in variance caused by factors beyond his or her control. In poker, the downswings are as inevitable as upswings, and no degree of skill can compensate. In the stock market, there are many factors that come into play that, again, the speculator has no control over. No matter how well-bankrolled you are, the stress that comes with the unpredictability of things can be overwhelming. Some of the best poker players, or at least the ones who have made millions, are now selling their possessions - including their World Seriers of Poker championship bracelets - for pennies on the dollar. It takes a very special person - intelligent, disciplined, lucky - to make a living playing poker.
Yea, right.

Professional poker player low stress?

Your income and food money can be flushed away with one bad hand.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Doesn't exist, for the most part, in America anymore. Not even sure about Canada. EU has it for those that have jobs.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 61,081 times
Jobs that do not require giving presentations absolutely exist. I just want to find one that will pay me at least $40k a year

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Jobs that do not require giving presentations absolutely exist. I just want to find one that will pay me at least $40k a year
Great please prove us wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment