Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 AM

27 posts, read 61,083 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'll make this short. I'm 33, have a B.S. in Business with a minor in Information Systems. Been working in the IT field for 8 years. Can't stand it anymore, too much stress. I'm looking to change careers to something with lower stress and zero public speaking (ie: presentations or group training). I've been using onetonline.org for some ideas, but thought it may help to have some people help me brain storm.

So here are some of my wants:

45K+ salary
No public speaking.
No physical interaction (ie: no nursing, giving needles, or physical therapy)
Regular 9-5 type hours.
No on-call.

I'd be willing to go back to school if need be.

Can you help me come up with some ideas? I'm at my whits end here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
So you want no stress, no presentations, a 40 hour a week schedule with no extra work, and you want 45K to do it?

The only jobs I can think of is a union trade, but then you will have to perform physical labor.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So you want no stress, no presentations, a 40 hour a week schedule with no extra work, and you want 45K to do it?

The only jobs I can think of is a union trade, but then you will have to perform physical labor.
I didn't say no stress, I said low stress. I wouldn't mind working over time. I didn't say no physical labor I meant no physical contact with people.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Engineering but you'd have to start all over in school.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2014 View Post
Regular 9-5 type hours.
What exactly are "9-5" hours? Where did that term come from? Must have been quite standard and conventional to get that term so commonized.

How do you get in 40 hours a week AND take lunch?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
By my definition, "low stress" can still mean working 35-45 hour works with occasional overtime and weekends. If that's what you have in mind, then try Engineering or one of those stereotypical "geek" fields.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
By my definition, "low stress" can still mean working 35-45 hour works with occasional overtime and weekends. If that's what you have in mind, then try Engineering or one of those stereotypical "geek" fields.
I agree with you. I am mainly trying to avoid having to give presentations or group training to people. Thought I might be able to find this outside of the tech realm.

Any other ideas from anyone?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Freelance software work like guru.com. Of course you have to be pretty good at what you do, and I would think the hours would vary to your ability.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2014 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'll make this short. I'm 33, have a B.S. in Business with a minor in Information Systems. Been working in the IT field for 8 years. Can't stand it anymore, too much stress. I'm looking to change careers to something with lower stress and zero public speaking (ie: presentations or group training). I've been using onetonline.org for some ideas, but thought it may help to have some people help me brain storm.

So here are some of my wants:

45K+ salary
No public speaking.
No physical interaction (ie: no nursing, giving needles, or physical therapy)
Regular 9-5 type hours.
No on-call.

I'd be willing to go back to school if need be.

Can you help me come up with some ideas? I'm at my whits end here.

Thanks!
If you are not too concerned about $, which it seems you are not, then your window opens a lot wider.

Here's some suggestions...

Librarian - You'd have to go back and get an MLS. 2 years. I go to the library a lot (university and local) and I can't imagine a lower stress job.

Accountant - The guys I know who do this all do pretty well. You might be looking at two years of schooling? Pretty 9-5, but more stress than librarian.

Geologist - If you like being outside, then this is a decent career which is relatively low stress. Might be looking at 2 years.

However, since you are switching from a high paying field to something that is potentially going to pay much less, I would just go with something you like. Otherwise, you will be very frustrated and feel like you took a step down for no reason, and potentially with 2 years or so of school too. It doesn't make sense to just pick 'something' low stress when you are going to be taking such a significant paycut.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
I would never say that Accounting is lower stress then IT, you have taxes you have to file all the time, you cannot make mistakes, and what seems like constant communications with clients and the IRS if something does come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment