Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 AM

807 posts, read 1,356,847 times

Advertisements

I might be asked to travel but I don't like flying at all. I can say no but I told them I was on the fence about it. I know it will help promotion down the road but with airplane incidents happening it seems like once a week now, I don't feel comfortable at all getting on a plane.

Before someone says it, I know it's a fact that it's safer to fly but that doesn't change the fact I do not like heights. Driving is not a option unfortunately.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,446,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I might be asked to travel but I don't like flying at all. I can say no but I told them I was on the fence about it. I know it will help promotion down the road but with airplane incidents happening it seems like once a week now, I don't feel comfortable at all getting on a plane.

Before someone says it, I know it's a fact that it's safer to fly but that doesn't change the fact I do not like heights. Driving is not a option unfortunately.

Most people don't like travel, cramped seats: security hassles, lines, filthy airplanes, unpaid overtime, filthy airports, jet lag, lines, impersonal flight attendants, unexpected problems, anonymous hotels, lines, rental car hassles, lines, etc.

If it is part of your job, you do it. You could also try to justify to management a telecon serving the purpose at a lot less expense.

You can start looking for another job if there is no way around it.

Here's a little trick to avoid the anxiety for cheap: It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to bring those little one ounce unopened vodka bottles through TSA security as long as they fit in your one quart bag with your toothpaste. Mixed drinks on airplanes cost like $7 or $8. It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to order FREE orange juice on the airplane. You can figure out the rest.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,721,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post

You're more likely to be killed driving or even walking to work than to die in a plane crash. Read up on statistics, they can be your friend.

BTW, I second what was posed above. If all else fails, have a couple drinks at the bar before hand.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,382,058 times
Is it possible to take the train? I used to take the train to Chicago all the time for work. No flying, no parking issues and you learn to pack only what you need and carry exact change for the taxi fare.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM

110 posts, read 166,128 times
Just a thought - for at least some of the journeys are Amtrak overnights more convenient than day-time flying?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
If you can say no and are truly afraid of flying you can certainly do so.

Be aware that refusing to travel to an event your boss thinks is important is going to hold you back in your career in terms of raises, reviews and promotions.

It is your choice, and we all have a price. If your fear of flying is worth several thousand dollars, say no.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,330,093 times
I think you should take the opportunity to maybe help come over your fear of flying. Fears and phobias are all psychological. I think it would be a great challenge that you do travel and in the meantime start researching and putting together a plan on how you can use this experience to get over your fear of flying.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM

23,658 posts, read 24,215,779 times
They can move you to another position or even worse, if travel is required for the job.

I knew of someone who was close to getting a job offer, but after she told them she did not want to travel, she was no longer considered for the position.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,700,283 times
thats understandable, i hate planes but i suppose i would just suck it up and go and cry on the plane.. howeve r if there was a train option that wasn't over 30 hrs I'd do it

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,725,276 times
Who really likes traveling? I mean, everyone would probably love it if you could just step out the door and get plopped down at your destination. The entire act of travel is an end-to-end hassle, and it's gotten even more ridiculous with the TSA and their nude-o-scopes, or having to enroll in special programs just to avoid some of the hassle. Then there are flight delays, rental cars, hotel check ins... the whole thing is a pain. I've been doing it for so long I have forgotten exactly how much of a pain in the ass it really is, and compared to most people, my travel is a breeze because I have every loyalty program under the sun, don't wait in security lines, fly first class, don't wait for rental cars, don't wait for hotel check in, blah blah blah. And it's still a hassle.

With that being said, it sounds like flying is going to open doors for you, so you have to decide whether it's worth it. Flying might open doors for you in other ways too. I know a couple people who, after tossing their personal no-fly rules, are now traveling across the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment