Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM

17,715 posts, read 29,859,001 times

Advertisements

Plane Crash Info.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM

303 posts, read 595,918 times
My job has me traveling around 2x a year, maybe more maybe less depending.

I've found that lately I get more freaked out about being in the air but it pays the bills (at an OT rate!), so there's no way I would turn them down.

My suggestion would be to do the traveling and convince your doctor to give you some Diazepam to help relax your nerves. Barring that, hit the bar.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,092,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If you can say no and are truly afraid of flying you can certainly do so.

Be aware that refusing to travel to an event your boss thinks is important is going to hold you back in your career in terms of raises, reviews and promotions.

It is your choice, and we all have a price. If your fear of flying is worth several thousand dollars, say no.

This ^ ^ ^

You gotta do what you gotta do; and you can't do what you can't do.

Work around it as much as possible.

Then, be up front about it with your boss if push comes to shove. Just say I can't do this. It is beyond a simple 'fear'. I have been to seen counseling, tried medications, whatever, and i am unable to overcome the anxiety.

You already know it might hold back your career. Being up front about it simply makes you a solid person with an issue you have tried to tackle, and for whatever reason, have been unable.

Don't get caught jetting off to the islands, Ever. You know what I mean. If you are sincere, you are sincere always.

Being a road warrior...which is not the situation you describe, is not a pleasant life style. During my career I traveled all of the time. Been everywhere. Been nowhere, really. Planes, hotels, office buildings, taxi, plane, next city.

I used to have to travel to Europe quite frequently. Went over on Concorde on Sunday morning. Scared the hell out of me. Until I tapped myself on the shoulder and said, "know what"? When this things blows apart you are going to be an instantly freeze dried particle of dust.

After that...never a problem. But I did have to say it each time that dammed thing took off.

Good luck. Give it your best. You just gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
You're more likely to be killed driving or even walking to work than to die in a plane crash. Read up on statistics, they can be your friend.

BTW, I second what was posed above. If all else fails, have a couple drinks at the bar before hand.

You have to be careful about having a couple of drinks before boarding these days.

You can and will be denied boarding if you appear to be even a little tipsy, it happens all the time and it's not just people who are really out of it either. They will tell the passenger you have to wait a few hours for the next flight.

Imagine calling the boss and saying you missed the meeting as you were denied boarding.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,508,686 times
You don't have to do anything. I had a fear of flying and refused to fly for my job for many years. I didn't get fired and wasn't held back from raises or promotions. I explained the fear to my managers and they understood. I didn't care if I would be fired over this, that's how afraid I was. There is always a risk that you are fired or held back. i was willing to take that risk.

Well...after almost 20 years without flying, I finally got the guts to fly. It wasn't for work. Did one flight this year and now I am ok flying again once in awhile.

My new rule is only daylight landing/takeoff and non-stop flights. It's like a whole new world has opened up to me, travel wise.

FTW, something that helped me rid the fear. I stayed a hotel that bordered an airport with commercial flights. You could stand at the pool and watch flights take off and land. You could feel the rumble at your feet as the engines roared just before takeoff. It helps you visualize being a passenger.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM

156 posts, read 447,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I might be asked to travel but I don't like flying at all. I can say no but I told them I was on the fence about it. I know it will help promotion down the road but with airplane incidents happening it seems like once a week now, I don't feel comfortable at all getting on a plane.

Before someone says it, I know it's a fact that it's safer to fly but that doesn't change the fact I do not like heights. Driving is not a option unfortunately.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do?
Tell your doctor you have an irrational fear of flying and that refusing to fly will diminish your career prospects. Then, he'll write you a script for Ativan or Klonopin.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This ^ ^ ^

You gotta do what you gotta do; and you can't do what you can't do.

Work around it as much as possible.

Then, be up front about it with your boss if push comes to shove. Just say I can't do this. It is beyond a simple 'fear'. I have been to seen counseling, tried medications, whatever, and i am unable to overcome the anxiety.

You already know it might hold back your career. Being up front about it simply makes you a solid person with an issue you have tried to tackle, and for whatever reason, have been unable.

Don't get caught jetting off to the islands, Ever. You know what I mean. If you are sincere, you are sincere always.

Being a road warrior...which is not the situation you describe, is not a pleasant life style. During my career I traveled all of the time. Been everywhere. Been nowhere, really. Planes, hotels, office buildings, taxi, plane, next city.

I used to have to travel to Europe quite frequently. Went over on Concorde on Sunday morning. Scared the hell out of me. Until I tapped myself on the shoulder and said, "know what"? When this things blows apart you are going to be an instantly freeze dried particle of dust.

After that...never a problem. But I did have to say it each time that dammed thing took off.

Good luck. Give it your best. You just gotta do what you gotta do.
That's a really good point. Refusing to travel for work would royally bite you if you fly for a vacation in the future. Definitely food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment