Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM

421 posts, read 882,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's NOT how people who live in million dollar homes think.

Just trust me on that.

Get an education. Learn a skill.

I feel like people with that type of wealth would be willing to spend whatever it takes to make their kids happy. If it's $7 per hour, wonderful. But they'd do $70 per hour too if that's what it took to get the desired babysitter.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,130,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Well the kids are all from different families.
If the kids are all from different families, you would just have the same base price for each child. How would you decide which families child was first and which families were 2nd-5th child and got a cheaper rate?

If you are really wanting to try and make $60 per hour with 5 kids, then just charge each family $12.

Quote:
Some of them also told me that their parents spend $40 per hour to $60 per hour on their babysitters, but that they would ask their parents to cancel them in favor of me.
I watch my 7 year old nephew and he tells me all sorts of crazy things that aren't true about how the household runs. I wouldn't make any decisions based off of something a child told you. If you really want to babysit for some of these wealthier families, I think it is better to discuss your hourly wages with those who will be paying you, not their children. And this way you won't have to worry about charging too little or too much.

Quote:
These are very well-to-do families, so I assume $300 is chump change to them. Most of their houses cost over a million dollars each.
More then likely they have million dollar houses because they know how to spend their money wisely and aren't just throwing hundred dollar bills at the help.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,130,658 times
Quote:
she claimed her babysitter gets $1,000 a week for 20 hours, which was where she got her $50 per hour estimate, when I questioned her methodology and became interested in the job.
I would also steer clear of telling the parents you were discussing such things with their children. As their camp counselor I don't see this as appropriate conversations to be having with the children. Many people find talking about money to anyone who is not their financial advisory very tacky.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would also steer clear of telling the parents you were discussing such things with their children. As their camp counselor I don't see this as appropriate conversations to be having with the children. Many people find talking about money to anyone who is not their financial advisory very tacky.

She brought it up on her own. The kids were all talking about their babysitters and she volunteered, "Mine gets $50 per hour."

And that sounded like a bogus amount so I questioned her on it.

But I didn't initiate the topic.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,342,711 times
Quote:
So I was thinking maybe $30 per hour for 1 kid, $45 per hour for 2 kids, $60 per hour for 3 kids, $75 per hour for 4 kids, and $90 per hour for 5 kids? (I wouldn't be comfortable watching more than 5 kids by myself.)

The only problem with this price curve is that I would be watching 5 kids for the same price of 3 individual kids watched separately.

However, in order to ensure that does not happen, the price decrease for extra kids would be so small as to be non existant.

Anyone else willing to share their price rate curves for more than 1 kid?
Too Complicated

I would not give discounts if the kids are from different families. If one cancels at the last minute, will you raise the rates on the first?

Do you really want it this complicated? (Do the parents want it this complicated?) If one comes at 5:00, a second at 6:00, and a third at 7:30, the first two leave at 9:30 and that last leaves at 10:00, you have . . .
5:00-6:00 - 1 kid, 1 hour $30
6:00-7:30 - 2 kids, 1.5 hrs, $67.50 (each pays $33.75)
7:30-9:30 - 3 kids, 2 hrs, $120 (each pays $40)
9:30-10:00 - 1 kid, 1 hour, $30

Kid 1: 30 + 33.75 + 40 = 103.75 for 4.5 hours
Kid 2: 33.75 + 40 = 73.75 for 3.5 hours
Kid 3: 40 + 30 = 70 for 2.5 hours

(if I kept it straight)

I think most parents would rather know what the rates are and not have them dependent on someone else.

Too expensive

Your rates are way too high, unless you're also providing a good meal, private math tutoring, and a violin lesson (instrument rental included).

Too much trouble

Many families will also prefer that you focus only on their children, especially for evening babysitting, which frequently involves a meal and bedtime. They won't want to pay high rates for evening sitting if they still have to pick the kid up, take him home, and get him ready for bed.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If the kids are all from different families, you would just have the same base price for each child. How would you decide which families child was first and which families were 2nd-5th child and got a cheaper rate?
I was going to add the total hourly rates together and divide by 5.

$12 per hour sounds like a pretty cheap rate honestly if you're not under 18.

Quote:
I watch my 7 year old nephew and he tells me all sorts of crazy things that aren't true about how the household runs. I wouldn't make any decisions based off of something a child told you. If you really want to babysit for some of these wealthier families, I think it is better to discuss your hourly wages with those who will be paying you, not their children. And this way you won't have to worry about charging too little or too much.
I sent the kids an e-mail tonight to ask for the parents' e-mails. Will let you know what happens.

I'm not sure I can call the kid a liar about the rates though and then expect to get any kind of good behavior out of the kids.

But I think I'll have to make an initial offer and that's what I'm concerned about.

Quote:
More then likely they have million dollar houses because they know how to spend their money wisely and aren't just throwing hundred dollar bills at the help.
Well one girl offered to buy me an ipad if I was her personal assistant for the summer. She claims her mom has a personal assistant too, so it's reasonable for her to have one. She even expected me to carry her bag, lunchbox, and water bottle around for her.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,586,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Get an education. Learn a skill.
This. The OP should spend as much time studying business as he does coming up with identities in which to pitch what he thinks are "get rich" ideas without much effort or actual knowledge beyond being a teenager himself at some point.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Too Complicated

I would not give discounts if the kids are from different families. If one cancels at the last minute, will you raise the rates on the first?

The kids go to different schools during the year, but are all friends.

So most of the kids will be picked up around the same time.

Quote:
Too expensive

Your rates are way too high, unless you're also providing a good meal, private math tutoring, and a violin lesson (instrument rental included).
I don't cook, but could provide tutoring in most subjects. (during the school year anyway)

Quote:
Too much trouble

Many families will also prefer that you focus only on their children, especially for evening babysitting, which frequently involves a meal and bedtime. They won't want to pay high rates for evening sitting if they still have to pick the kid up, take him home, and get him ready for bed.
I thought it would be more fun for the children to be with their friends.

I could do single children only, but find that more difficult for both parties.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This. The OP should spend as much time studying business as he does coming up with identities in which to pitch what he thinks are "get rich" ideas without much effort or actual knowledge beyond being a teenager himself at some point.

I'm studying for what I want to go into, but am finding myself about $30,000 short of funding, so am using this to fill in that hole.

Seems like a responsible thing to do personally.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,586,218 times
Quote:
I'm studying for what I want to go into, but am finding myself about $30,000 short of funding, so am using this to fill in that hole.

Seems like a responsible thing to do personally.
Have you considered a job or two to fill in the hole? It would be more efficient in the long run than trying to get people to pay you more than a particular service is worth. Especially considering you have no actual training in child development. From what I've gathered over the months, your only experience with children is summer camp counselor.

A job or two and patience. Don't expect to come up with 30K over the summer.

Oh - and start chewing with your mouth closed. No one wants to pay an unprofessional, uneducated guy who has no manners to do much if anything. Especially your target clientele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment