Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,297,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Well that girl was 12 years old and claimed she was on the honor roll last year. (I know that doesn't mean much in 6th grade, but she has to have at least moderate intelligence then.)

But she can really be a handful so I think she still probably needs one. I think I'm really great with kids and struggle with her at times, but she claimed her babysitter gets $1,000 a week for 20 hours, which was where she got her $50 per hour estimate, when I questioned her methodology and became interested in the job.

Either way, it doesn't seem like it would hurt to inquire further.
A 12 year old tells you her babysitter gets $1,000 a week and you automatically believe it? I would honestly question your judgement and be hesitant to hire you at any price.

Last edited by manderly6; 08-22-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 AM

9,903 posts, read 14,257,764 times
Quote:

And why not?

Why do you discriminate?
Please, please don't start that argument again. Those that choose to discriminate will not listen to reason.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...e-au-pair.html

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,949,290 times
$30 an hour just for ONE CHILD?!?! If you are looking for people to laugh in your face this is the way to do it.

We have a woman that runs child care services in her own home and watches our 5 month old. She has no more than 5 kids at a time and charges $35 A DAY. She supplies the children with "school supplies" and does activities with them throughout the day and there is absolutely zero TV. We've been with her for 2 months now and she's excellent.

You may think $35 a day is not enough... but when you watch multiple kids it adds up.

$35 per day multiplied by 5 children... That's $175 per day... $875 per week... $3500 per month... $42,000 per year.

Really not a bad gig right there... sure watching 5 kids each day can be a lot but she gets her weekends off, she takes holiday's off, and in the contract she allows herself 2 weeks vacation both paid just like anyone else in the workforce... oh and she gets to do this all from the comfort of her home.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM

18 posts, read 23,153 times
I paid my highly qualified young adult with excellent references babysitter $8.50 per hour for two easygoing school-age children. I would not pay less than minimum wage for one child, but the exact amount would depend on the circumstances. For occasional care I'd pay more than routine care. For short notice, the total would never be less than $20 no matter the time, more than that for more than 2.5 hours, of course. For an infant, toddler, or other high-needs child, I would pay $10 per hour. For all three of my children, I'd probably be willing to pay no more than $12 per hour for scheduled care.

I'm not wealthy, but I want to be fair.

For multiple children in different families, charge the individual rate for each family.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 23,153 times
Quote:
Is there a place I can find that out without going through a lawyer?

Not finding much luck on google. If certificiation was not too time consuming, I'd be willing to do it, but I already have strong references, so it might not add much.
Department of Social Services. Child Care.

I used to run a licensed home day care. In Virginia the largest number of children not related to you that a person could care for without a license is 5. Your state's department of social services will be able to tell you the limit where you live. It may be as low as 3 or as high as 8.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,337,167 times
Quote:
Isn't this being sexist?
I also brought up the concern about you being male. For me, it isn't because I'd assume a male is a predator. It's partly because the kids you had been talking about were girls. Girls who seemed fascinated with you. You seemed to care very much that these girls like you.

It is a very normal thing for girls to develop crushes on older men, such as male teachers. If those men are safe, it isn't unhealthy. But because the girls are children, the responsibility for creating the proper distance and safeguards lies with the men. From your comments about your interactions with young girls, you do not understand the need for that distance. As a camp counselor, maybe you do well. But as a regular babysitter, in a home, as the only adult present, . . . . No. Not just because you could be a predator, but because of the girls' emotions. Even a man who is "safe" as a teacher or coach may not be an appropriate choice for babysitting.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,035,932 times
Quote:
This is incorrect analysis. Fact is that a very small portion of the population are predators. If you were consistent with your analysis, you wouldn't want to ever associate with men at all, since a majority of any type of criminals are men as well.

Some sitters are expected to do more than just provide entertainment, but not all. What else would you want out of a sitter?
No, I said OF the population of sexual predators, 90% of them are male. I didn't say 90% of all men are sexual predators, good lord that'd be scary!

I'd want someone to provide nutritious home cooked meals, help them with homework, etc. My mom ran a daycare for over 10 years in her home, she provided nutritious home cooked meals, entertainment, nap time (for the younger kids), helped older children with homework, taught the younger kids things age appropriate things, and all sorts of stuff. Specially for $30/hr.

I agree with the others I wouldn't take what a 12 year old says at face value. It may be their nanny who takes care of all the kids in the household and also does cooking and cleaning that makes that much/hr. I don't think a 12 year old grasps the concept of what things cost in the broad spectrum.

So any responses from the parents?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM

421 posts, read 882,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
A 12 year old tells you her babysitter gets $1,000 a week and you automatically believe it? I would honestly question your judgement and be hesitant to hire you at any price.

She had been enrolled at the facility for 6 weeks that summer and had not been caught in a lie to that point. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt because of her track record. Isn't that what people are supposed to do?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,035,932 times
Quote:
She had been enrolled at the facility for 6 weeks that summer and had not been caught in a lie to that point. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt because of her track record. Isn't that what people are supposed to do?
It's not a lie, she probably just doesn't KNOW for sure the truth. I don't know many parents who sit their kids down at the table and discuss household finances with them.

Reminds me of the time when one of my sister's school kids asked her if she got paid to take care of them, and this other kid yelled out "NO DUMMY it's her JOB to take care of us!"

Which of course was HILARIOUS because yes my sister gets paid, but obviously this little kid didn't realize that and ASSUMED when you work a job, you don't get paid. I'm guessing that kids parents told her "I don't get paid to take care of you, it's my job."

Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM

421 posts, read 882,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please, please don't start that argument again. Those that choose to discriminate will not listen to reason.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...e-au-pair.html

The topic is closed so I'm not sure what you expect me to gain from there.

How about addressing the argument directly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment