Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,326,173 times

Advertisements

If they are all from different families, that is an idiotic way to charge. You have to charge each family the same per child. Maybe $5/hr for the first kid, and $3/hr for each additional. No way would I pay $30/hr for 1 child. Not even close. I pay less than $30/DAY for each of my school-age kids for up to 11.5 hours of care.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,349,541 times
Usually when you charge less per child it is because they are in the same family. Think as a day care provider. Smith - one child $12 an hour, Jones- one child $12 per hour, White- first child $12 per hour and second child $6 an hour, Tan- first child- $12 an hour- second and third child -$6 each per hour.

You can not charge less for multiple children from different families.

Where are you going to provide this multiple family childcare? Everyone wants their child at their house.

You will need to learn to cook, and many wealthy families really expect good, well cooked meals.

I suggest that you go to the park where nannies hang out with their young charges during the day and get some real & accurate information. I have heard that some nannies make a lot of money but have HUGE multiple, responsiblies---so

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-18-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,342,711 times
OP, are you male? No way would I hire a young male to babysit my 12-year-old daughter who "adores" him, teases him, and can get him to carry her things.

Let alone pay him two to three times what other sitters charge.

Sorry.

Oh - and I would never recommend that a young male put himself in that situation, either.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM

5,764 posts, read 17,674,684 times
Our babysitter (mid-twenties), who is working her way through barber school (whatever they call that for women) charges us $10 per hour for our 2 children (boys, age 8 and 4). That is pretty much the going rate in our city, based on other posts that I've read in City-Data on this topic.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,520,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
OP, are you male? No way would I hire a young male to babysit my 12-year-old daughter who "adores" him, teases him, and can get him to carry her things. Let alone pay him two to three times what other sitters charge. Sorry. Oh - and I would never recommend that a young male put himself in that situation, either.
This. And add to that the fact that OP doesn't seem to understand how to conduct himself as a professional--not what these people are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
I sent the kids an e-mail tonight to ask for the parents' e-mails. Will let you know what happens.
Absolutely inappropriate. I don't even email back my own students when they contact me (as a teacher with a homework question.) I copy their parent on any response. For a male counselor to initiate (or respond to) email contact with a 12 year he is unrelated to is absolutely inappropriate.

Quote:
Well the problem is that most of these kids have the current babysitters pick up the kids. I really doubt my competitor is going to actually going to give the parents my contact info so their hourly workload gets reduced. So there's really no other option.

Well I used the online calculators for babysitting and they output $20 per hour. The girl claimed that all the babysitter does is cook for her for that $50 per hour, so I deducted $10 per hour for my deficiency there. I then split the difference between the other 2 estimates to come up with $30 per hour. For dinners, I figured I would just bring them dinner on the way over.
This type of family is expecting food be cooked in their home for their child. Not that you bring over a sack of McDonalds. Also, no way are they going to dump the regular, reliable babysitter who has proven herself not to be a crazy for some male counselor who thinks it's appropriate to email a minor child.

Quote:
Anyway, just wondering if this new forum can help me with developing an ideal pay curve for babysitting multiple children? What curves have you used in the past?

Originally, I was thinking of a percentage curve, but after giving it more thought, I reasoned maybe $30 per hour per child for 1-2 kids, an additional $25 per hour for a 3rd kid and then for a 4th kid, and an additional $20 per hour for a 5th kid is a good pay scale?
This is wacky. First off, $30 per hour is too much to begin with. If you have something REALLY special to offer (like expert tutoring services, cook meals, etc) then I could understand $20. I would never pay it, but maybe some people would. But a non-experienced young guy with no references except a camp counselor job? Forget it. For you, I'd pay $12 per hour. For each additional kid after 2, you should maybe get $5 more per hour. Thinking you should get this huge extra bonus for more kids is ridiculous. You're already there. You're already performing the same tasks. How much harder is it to make dinner for 3 than 2? Not $25 per hour harder, that's for sure. And paying that extra $25 dollars for the 3rd kid is especially ridiculous considering it's not like they're going to be getting extra attention for it. Your attention will be divided 3 ways instead of 2. It's really not significantly harder for you, definitely not better for the kids, so why would I part with another $25 per hour for that?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,255,945 times
$30? LOL! Okay, it's been a while since I charged $5 an hour but surely inflation hasn't gone up THAT bad? Do you realize that in-home care workers sometimes cost less than that, and they require some degree of medical training? I made $26/hour with the city as a 911 operator... is taking care of a 12 year old harder than that? whoah
I
I would expect to pay $10-15 maximum for two little kids (babies/toddlers, lots of work), and maybe $8-10 maximum, if you are lucky, for an hour with a 12 year old girl who can entertain herself and feed herself.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,914,960 times
OP clearly needs a reality check.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 PM

827 posts, read 1,093,402 times
Lol $30 an hour to babysit?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM

421 posts, read 882,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If they are all from different families, that is an idiotic way to charge. You have to charge each family the same per child. Maybe $5/hr for the first kid, and $3/hr for each additional. No way would I pay $30/hr for 1 child. Not even close. I pay less than $30/DAY for each of my school-age kids for up to 11.5 hours of care.

Sorry I was away for a few days. Didn't get a chance to check the thread for new input. Will respond right away.

Well we all have different priorities.

Maybe these families are more interested in getting the best people to care for their children and/or have more disposable income.

But are you saying a 33% decrease for each additional child over the 1st one is best?

Last edited by flamingo_pink; 08-20-2013 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Clarified delay in responding

Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 PM

421 posts, read 882,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
OP, are you male? No way would I hire a young male to babysit my 12-year-old daughter who "adores" him, teases him, and can get him to carry her things.

Let alone pay him two to three times what other sitters charge.

Sorry.

Oh - and I would never recommend that a young male put himself in that situation, either.

I never mentioned that any of my campers teased me, so not sure where you got that from.

The girl who I carried things for for 1/2 of one day as a joke is only 9 years old. The 12-year old is the one whose babysitter makes $1,000 per week. They are two different campers.

And I never had my own idea as to what I should make. I just became interested when she told me that rate, so I am basing my expectations off what she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment