Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A lot of competent software engineers are not great programmers. While it helps, one does not need to be a great programmer to be a great software engineer.
the point isn't that they are modest programmers. it's that many are unable to perform even the most basic programming tasks. you can't be a developer in any role if you can't write a simple program when asked. for every awful programmer who somehow makes him/herself useful, there are a hundred who i never, ever want to work with

i do know good managers and senior engineers who i consider moderate programmers. so in that way, i agree you don't need to be a coding rock star

at the entry level, there is little difference between a "software engineer" and a "programmer". even here you can be good here with moderate skills though, but only if you have something else going on like a phenomenal work ethic, artistic talent that helps with GUIs, multi-lingual to help with translation, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well, he referred to good schools. CCNY is out.

I've taught CS at Columbia (Undergrad). They're makeup is mostly second generation immigrants and white people.
CCNY is much more representative of what you get when you place a job ad, although i agree with you in that it is not a particularly good school

i'm very familiar with both the elite and workaday levels of development

i was specifically referring to columbia's grad program

Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Well, he referred to good schools. CCNY is out.

I've taught CS at Columbia (Undergrad). They're makeup is mostly second generation immigrants and white people. I did my undergrad in CS at Princeton... it was mostly second gen asian and white people.

I was at UPitt and CMU during the same semester once... UPitt had quite a bit of foreigners while CMU did not... they had some... but nowhere near 50%.
we can limit ourselves to the elite if you prefer. it's still a consideration. stanford engineering grad program is well over 40% foreigners (does not include 1st gen). this is engr as a whole, i would expect CS is higher than the other departments

Facts & Figures | Engineering

Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
we can limit ourselves to the elite if you prefer. it's still a consideration. stanford engineering grad program is well over 40% foreigners (does not include 1st gen). this is engr as a whole, i would expect CS is higher than the other departments

Facts & Figures | Engineering
That's fair. Please report back your findings.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Quote:
i think that's actually wrong. at least for some dbms systems. you have to say "employee_id is null" - using the "is" operator rather than the equality "=" operator. the reason is that some dbms systems will evaluate null = null as false. iirc, i got bit by that once on MSSQL 7

i agree with you in your principle though and i wouldn't use remembering that particular fact about null equality logic in an interview since it's such a non intuitive thing and in fact is a debated topic

i also don't know if MS's implementation differs from the ANSI standard. if i had to pick a language for "least standardized" i'd nominate SQL, sadly

also i do understand some folks aren't in top form in an interview - nervous, surprised, etc. but like you i've had "experienced" applicants fail at things that were basically "hello world"

EDIT - in case you care why, consider what would happen on an inner join on a column with some nulls if (null = null) evaluated to true. that's a quick and dirty explanation, and makes me think most/all dbms will handle it this way
Yes, it is wrong. We use SQL Server. The job candidates respond with "= Null". I give them "Is Null". They should be able to pull records with missing values. It is a fundamental skill needed to flag records with missing data.

The candidate with a Comp Sci degree and 25+ years exp was a fraud. He quit trying to figure out the puzzle of "is null", after 3 attempts. He is other attempt was "In Null", which gave an error. Then, he tells me that SQL hasn't been used for a long time by him. The office clerks even knew the answer to the question, since they use "is null" in Access.

There are many people with qualifications, but not all of them qualify.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
That's fair. Please report back your findings.
findings? that link had the figure i was quoting. i don't have an exact number for the CS dept in particular

Quote:
I've taught CS at Columbia (Undergrad). They're makeup is mostly second generation immigrants and white people. I did my undergrad in CS at Princeton... it was mostly second gen asian and white people.
our of curiosity, how much work have you done in places that were not like this? by this, i mean development at places that aren't google, apple, MS, etc or study/research/teaching at a university that is not a top 25 school?

i'm not trying to be snarky. my ugrad was comparable to yours as is my PhD program and i've also taught. however a portion of my career in between was spent writing loss leader software at a mechanical hardware company and my MS was at CCNY. your definition of "not a great programmer" may be very different from mine if you haven't had the latter experience. i think at the elite places one doesn't see just how much absolutely crappy software development goes on. on the whole, there are a lot more people working in and studying CS at places like CCNY or my former employer than there are at places like google and princeton

Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Yes, it is wrong. We use SQL Server. The job candidates respond with "= Null". I give them "Is Null". They should be able to pull records with missing values. It is a fundamental skill needed to flag records with missing data.

The candidate with a Comp Sci degree was a fraud. He quit trying to figure out the puzzle of "is null", after 3 attempts. He is other attempt was "In Null", which gave an error. Then, he tells me that SQL hasn't been used for a long time by him.

shake my head.
sorry i misunderstood. you're a tougher interviewer than me, unless that was for a senior position i agree that it's important, but i wouldn't use that particular fact because i can see how someone who is nervous could forget that because so many non SQL languages implement it otherwise. i personally would use a tricky join as an interview topic before i would use that

i've had people fail at even easier things, like implementing a factorial or exponent function. stuff that most 101 courses have as assignment 1 or 2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM

752 posts, read 1,164,408 times
I do not consider Indian and Chinese capable people. Especially Indians. And I'm sure they will tear down any company to ground if they are management. Just how happened with City group. Source - carpenter contractor that work with all possible races and nations. Especially with Indians I do not have any business. It is not imaginable that any Indian doctor will ever touch any one of my family.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
findings? that link had the figure i was quoting. i don't have an exact number for the CS dept in particular
You're trying to validate davenj08's statement that 50% of students (in the aforementioned fields) at good colleges are foreign students. You implied you would follow through when you indicated you were going to limit it to elite schools. Data on a single school doesn't qualify for the validation you're looking for. I'm looking forward to your findings across the elite schools as you suggested.

Quote:
our of curiosity, how much work have you done in places that were not like this? by this, i mean development at places that aren't google, apple, MS, etc or study/research/teaching at a university that is not a top 25 school?

i'm not trying to be snarky. my ugrad was comparable to yours as is my PhD program and i've also taught. however a portion of my career in between was spent writing loss leader software at a mechanical hardware company and my MS was at CCNY. your definition of "not a great programmer" may be very different from mine if you haven't had the latter experience. i think at the elite places one doesn't see just how much absolutely crappy software development goes on. on the whole, there are a lot more people working in and studying CS at places like CCNY or my former employer than there are at places like google and princeton
I did mention UPitt earlier...

I know bad programming goes on all the time. I have a strategic partnership with HCL. I've seen the worst of the worst.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I do not consider Indian and Chinese capable people. Especially Indians. And I'm sure they will tear down any company to ground if they are management. Just how happened with City group. Source - carpenter contractor that work with all possible races and nations. Especially with Indians I do not have any business. It is not imaginable that any Indian doctor will ever touch any one of my family.
Companies with Indians and/or Chinese in executive level management include:

- Pepsi
- Johnson & Johnson
- News Corp
- Adobe Systems
- Deutsche Bank
- Bose

Btw, it's Citi, not City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment