Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

I'm a week into a new job where I manage a team of 6 people. The team is a mess and there is no business plan so I've spent all of my time trying to find out what people do and what is in front of us. I have acted like a detective this whole week, trying to wrap my brain around our plan. My boss pulled me aside at the end of the week to give me feedback that I need to not be as ambitious in my plans and to work on gaining the trust of the staff. Of course, that is my goal, but I am not used to not focusing on my goals first. I still want to keep on task, but am willing to take her suggestion. can anyone suggest good trust building techniques appropriate for the workforce? Everything I've found online has been super campy so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
I have a new boss who is doing the whole "build trust" thing too. Personally, I don't think trust can be built at work. Employment isn't about trust. It's about the paycheck. But I digress.

My boss is doing the regular team building stuff: food days, happy hours, trivia contests, open suggestion meetings, etc.

I hope this works out for you. If any of your employees are like me, they'll work for you but they'll never trust you. There's a difference between the two.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,165,844 times
Get feedback from your team members on what they need help with most and focus on getting a series of small "wins" to help your team.
They need to know that you are here to help them and that you can do the things you say you are going to do. Then focus on boiling the ocean, lol.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,169 times
Trust and the work place do not go hand in hand.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,756,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Get feedback from your team members on what they need help with most and focus on getting a series of small "wins" to help your team.
They need to know that you are here to help them and that you can do the things you say you are going to do. Then focus on boiling the ocean, lol.

I agree with everything you said, you have to build a relationship and a trust with your team to get them to make the changes that you are wanting them to make, if you come in and institute a bunch of changes you will only build resentment from your staff.

I must say many of the posts in this thread are terrible, the fact that so many distrust everybody in the workplace including coworkers and managers is not a good sign for the corporate world. I do not know how anybody can spend their day with a bunch of people they do not trust at all.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I must say many of the posts in this thread are terrible, the fact that so many distrust everybody in the workplace including coworkers and managers is not a good sign for the corporate world. I do not know how anybody can spend their day with a bunch of people they do not trust at all.
A good question even for the OP since he/she is trying to build "trust."

Exactly what should employees trust their managers and co-workers for? They only have a work relationship. They aren't personal friends.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,630 times
Trust is important at work, I have people below me, and I TRUST that when I have them do something, that they do it according to procedure so that the results/data I receive is usable.

Your the boss of 6 people, I assume you have things your team as a whole needs to get done. So I guess I would just 1- have a one on one meeting with each person and ask them what they are doing, and add more responsibilities as necessary, then 2- have one group meeting to discuss as a group what is going on and what needs to be done. And 3- maybe just do a lunch with the group or something?

My boss has a boss, each week he is given things that need to be done, my boss then determines how long something needed to be done will take. Based on that my boss has a one on one with each person (we are a team of 5) for half an hour to ask us if we have any questions or anything, then we also have a 1 hour group meeting each week to discuss what we are all doing as a group, etc. It works really well for us.

So if your boss says to you, Okay, you need to do A, B, C, and D. Then you go to your group and delegate out who does what, maybe one does A, two work together to do B, another C, and two more D, etc.

Also, does your team possibly think you are trying to let people go? Maybe that's why they don't trust you?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM

136 posts, read 238,121 times
I have never experienced such distrust as I have at my current job. This is a healthcare group where patient care is primary, yet employee care is terrible. The company almost fosters fear of administration by letting you know your phone calls will be monitored and your emails may be read. You don't feel safe going to HR with any concerns because they will always side with the managers and make whatever your concerns are, your fault. I admitted recently that my male manager had said very inappropriate things about my body both privately and in front of others. He asked me why don't I get a breast reduction and that he has no use for breasts as he is gay. I sat with these humiliations not wanting to risk losing my new job by pissing off this person by reporting him. There were other things too. The head of HR is an ass but maybe that is typical for an HR person? I have never been involved in any personnel problems in the past until this company. The day after this meeting, HR and my main supervisor called me in again to continue our discussion but instead of showing any kind of support or empathy, they started looking for negative behavior in me instead. I felt like I needed a lawyer to defend me while they bullied me and then they said I was being inappropriate for defending myself and asking why they were taking this tactic instead of continuing our discussion of my other boss's behavior? They asked me to put together a statement and sign it and they would investigate my "concerns". Meanwhile, I have to work with this guy knowing they are talking to him about the things he said to me. He is suppose to give me two ten minute breaks a day but since this discussion, he hasn't. I work my butt off for this company and his department as well as another department and am so stressed out. Any suggestions on how to protect myself as I feel I need it while keeping this job long enough until I find another? I can't leave as I support my family.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post

Your the boss of 6 people, I assume you have things your team as a whole needs to get done. So I guess I would just 1- have a one on one meeting with each person and ask them what they are doing, and add more responsibilities as necessary, then 2- have one group meeting to discuss as a group what is going on and what needs to be done. And 3- maybe just do a lunch with the group or something?
That's exactly what I've done. All three steps. As further background the boss didn't have time to onboard me so I've been acting like a detective just trying to find out what people are doing and then in a team meeting we've talked about how everyone will contribute to the identity as a team. I am still perplexed. Even if I was a horrible boss, 5 days is not enough time to do THAT much damage. I'm just at a loss. And I myself feel demotivated that he went to each on my team to get a read on me. It sets the stage for them going above me in actual times of difficulty..

Old 10-19-2013, 06:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,630 times
Sounds to me the group is just not adapting to change well, it's been one week. Makes me wonder if they are just trying to go against you because someone else wanted the job you got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment