Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkar View Post
I have yet to go in and talk to them, but I will be telling them that I will not allow them to deduct anything from my paycheck.
Don't say anything until you've checked your state laws. Call your local Labor Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 AM

544 posts, read 610,579 times
Cashiers are going to be extinct within the next 15 years, but about half will likely be extinct within 10 years.

I was at a jack in the box, and saw a self service kiosk for ordering. I didn't use it, but it's the first time I have saw one at a fast food place. They can accept cards and cash, you can order anything just like the cashier could, and probably even write a note if you want something specific done.

It will be harder to do this for drive through, since weather could effect the machines and risk of vandalism. However, it will probably happen within 20 years.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
I had a very hard time following this post. I think I understand now. You saw a guy in a store, that wasn't your store, stealing. You alerted his manager. The people you fired were in YOUR store but committing the same offense as the guy in 7-11. Thats's what you are saying right?
Yes, exactly. Sorry lol. Typing too fast without proofreading.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkar View Post
Thank you for all of your responses. Looks like it's a lot more common than I thought.
I have yet to go in and talk to them, but I will be telling them that I will not allow them to deduct anything from my paycheck.

I will be searching for another job but it's very hard at my age :/ oh well. Wish me luck.

And no, I'm not that poster from Canada. Don't see why someone would make another account to make a new thread.. o_O

Once again thanks guys, ill update everyone on Thursday! Wish me luck. I'm definitely not the type to confront so this might be tricky. If you guys have any advice as to what I should say, it would be very very greatly appreciated!
It's EXTREMELY common. ESPECIALLY in restaurants and bars. ESPECIALLY bars ie overpouring. Freebies, outright stealing, not ringing up, replacing booze with water etc. If you watch the tv show Bar Rescue you can see the new technology they offer the owners to help them track their inventory and shifts. Other than cameras.

Even fast food restaurants have stickers on the drive through cashier's window about if you don't get a receipt to alert the management.

Making CHANGE is also a "no-no" in retail. Too many people get confused and get gypsy flim flammed. That happened to me too. Some dope made change AGAINST MY STORE POLICY and ended up 50.00 SHORT on a 5.00 transaction. Like the famous shell game

My store was a concession inside a McCrory's huge variety store, the largest in the nation in the 1990s. I used their register as mine and had to count with the store manager because they wanted to be sure we paid state taxes and didn't skim cash. They started you with 50.00 every morning and deposited your drawer and sales at night, paid taxes and you get a check from them weekly. That really helped with my own accounting, too. It was excellent training, I was completely supported by the manager who taught me every trick in the book. A great starter business.

Just last week at McDonalds an employee confused himself with my purchase which I returned as incorrect...and I made them shut the register and reconcile it to get my correct change.

I would say "To avoid this happening in the future I would like to follow standard register procedures and count my drawer in front of you and again when I come off the register with NOBODY touching it in between. If you HAVE to touch it, I don't want to be held accountable."

Then they'll cut your hours LOL.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My point is that usually these sorts of problems end up being figured out. The money slipped under the register, or is in the safe, or there was an error on a ticket, and the total sold for the day should have been $100 less, etc. Only rarely does it turn out to actually be missing money. Even if there was, if multiple people were sharing the till, then that is the risk the restaurant takes, and they should not have charged the employee. They should track it over time, and if one employee has a habitually short till, either by themselves, or shared with multiple other people, you fire that person.
I disagree with your assessment of frequency. Not only do you have mistakes but theft is rampant. I even had guys in the grocery store bag up produce put a LABEL on it from the freaking SEAFOOD department with the wrong price (dopes) and try and make me ring it up. Everybody KNOWS the cashier weighs the produce and keys it in, nobody puts it in bags with LABELS priced out in the produce dept unless it's prepacked in a tray.

They told me ALL the previous cashiers did that for them. I also had managers wanting to steal cartons of cigarettes off my belt area. "I'll come back and pay for this later at break *wink*wink". NO YOU WILL PAY NOW!

There certainly WAS money slipped under the register. My pet shop store manager one time found $300.00 neatly FOLDED UP and shoved way in the back under the removable drawer when he relieved a thief employee unexpectedly! LITERALLY "under the register" hahaha.

The link posted upthread said it is perfectly LEGAL in Hawaii to dock the cashier as long as they are the only one on the register.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,077 times
As a former bartender I usually had to pay for my shortages. We were also usually responsible for paying any open tabs (this is why most bartenders demand a credit card prior to starting a tab) that were not clsoed out by nights end due to the customer leaving w/o paying. I never had a problem paying my shortage so long as I was the only one using my drawer. Same goes for the tab if I was the one that started it and failed to get a credit card.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM

431 posts, read 1,220,352 times
Sadly, you can't even trust management at some places. I will never work in MONEY ever again if I can help it.

My very first job at the age of 16 was working at a candy store in the mall. The manager (her parents owned the store) of this store was (I later found out) a druggie. She always claimed she was diabetic and that is why she would pass out sometimes,etc....asked all of us to make sure she eats every four hours....blah blah blah. BUT she always told us not to call EMS if she passed out. I figured that was VERY strange. She said she could not afford the bill. I always told her I WOULD call EMS no matter what. She would get mad at me but just said she was glad I cared.

There were 4 cashiers using one register and it was never counted between shifts. Only at the end of the night.

Well, I got suspicious of the owner's behavior. I was 16 and very naive but her "symptoms" did not seem like a diabetic's symptoms and I never saw her taking insulin or whatever. I liked my job so I decided to keep working there.

One night I closed the store with my 16yo coworker. We counted the drawer and it came out fine. We put the $$ in the safe, took out the trash,locked the doors, went home.

The next morning I got a call from the police !!! They said 500.00 was missing from the safe. They wanted to know where it was! The manager had turned me and my coworker in and accused us !!! I told them I didn't know anything about it ! Everything was fine when we left ! They asked a bunch of questions over the phone and told me that the manager did not want me to come to the station, but she was asking them to call the other girl into the station. ?!?!!!!! I cried and went ballistic. I thought I was going to be in trouble for something I did not do. I didn't tell my parents. (SHOULD HAVE!)

I got to work and the manager was standing there. She said "I am so sorry about this morning". I started crying and telling her I had nothing to do with it. She said "I know. I took the money and turned it in as a theft. I needed it for some things and I didn't want my parents (remember they bought this store for her) to find out so I made it look like it was stolen and called the police. I am going to pay it back soon. Will you ever forgive me ? I am so sorry".

I quit. On the spot. When the other girl got news of this, she quit, too. She told me "Oh you didn't know ? She buys drugs all the time! She told me that's what she used the money for !". So I asked if that is why she sometimes appeared stoned and etc. The girl told me "duh, everybody knows that, she is a druggie NOT a diabetic. She just tells her parents and people she doesn't know she is diabetic in case she passes out."

Yeah. I should have told my parents and we should have sued. Never again did I put up with any kind of crap at any job. Especially don't trust the managers 100% to have your best interest and safety at heart.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 AM

143 posts, read 246,517 times
$100 is an even number, which is incredibly suspicious. You could have refused to pay it, but then also could have been fired. They can't deduct from your paycheck without your consent. I'd ask for the cameras to be checked.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Maybe the OP will come back with an update ...

Old 11-16-2013, 02:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
Looks like the other guy using the register still came out $50 ahead after getting deducted as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment