Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I love how any argument about younger folks turns into the technology at their finger tips. Sure is the Boy Meets World Mr. Feeny "You have the greatest technology at your grasp and all you care to do is fight King Koopa" speech. Sure that is an issue but we don't see the types of jobs that existed in the 60's and early 70's. Not even the wages, just the opportunities.

Exactly, and you didn't need 2 to 5 years worth of experience in the existing field to even get a job. All you needed was to show up and say I want a job and you would likely get one.

That is what I feel now. It's not that I am down on going to college, it was a great time that molded me but it didn't lead to getting the middle class job that many people (not so much my parents) told me the college degree would bring.
I know many people who have experienced this or are dealing with the same situation. They got the ole, "If you don't go to college, you're going to end up at either a dead end, minimum wage job or end up on the streets, homeless." Here's the funny part, many of the folks around here went off to college, got their degrees, did some time working for higher wages, got laid off in company cut backs, so headed back into "the cannery/factory/minimum wage" world.

They're happy as clams! A dear, dear friend is so blissfully content, simply going to work, grinding through the day doing physical labor. He had an high-paying job at our yacht-building shipyard. Unfortunately, with our economical situation, there just aren't too many yachts being produced right now and he lost his job, along with many other folks. He is loving the "no-stress" lifestyle and says he's happier than he's been in YEARS! I can see it and hear it in his voice. He really is a much happier person now and he's making less money....a LOT less money. It doesn't matter though, it's dirty, physically challenging work, that leaves you feeling like you've used some muscles and gotten some real exercise.

Not only does college not guarantee you a job, but neither college nor a high paying job is a guarantee of personal happiness or contentment. Sometimes, the best thing for the soul is a menial labor, minimum wage, minimum stress job. The friend I'm talking about above? He gained over 100 lbs at his high-paying job and has lost nearly 75 lbs now...due to actual physical labor. Again...lol, happy as a clam, he is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I know many people who have experienced this or are dealing with the same situation. They got the ole, "If you don't go to college, you're going to end up at either a dead end, minimum wage job or end up on the streets, homeless." Here's the funny part, many of the folks around here went off to college, got their degrees, did some time working for higher wages, got laid off in company cut backs, so headed back into "the cannery/factory/minimum wage" world.

They're happy as clams! A dear, dear friend is so blissfully content, simply going to work, grinding through the day doing physical labor. He had an high-paying job at our yacht-building shipyard. Unfortunately, with our economical situation, there just aren't too many yachts being produced right now and he lost his job, along with many other folks. He is loving the "no-stress" lifestyle and says he's happier than he's been in YEARS! I can see it and hear it in his voice. He really is a much happier person now and he's making less money....a LOT less money. It doesn't matter though, it's dirty, physically challenging work, that leaves you feeling like you've used some muscles and gotten some real exercise.

Not only does college not guarantee you a job, but neither college nor a high paying job is a guarantee of personal happiness or contentment. Sometimes, the best thing for the soul is a menial labor, minimum wage, minimum stress job. The friend I'm talking about above? He gained over 100 lbs at his high-paying job and has lost nearly 75 lbs now...due to actual physical labor. Again...lol, happy as a clam, he is!

No more scrabbling to get to the top. Right?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
No more scrabbling to get to the top. Right?
Exactly, Hazel ! It's funny....how little physical exercise a person can get, climbing that ladder. So many of the people who do still have the high-stress jobs, couldn't continue to do so, if you took away their "anti-stress/anxiety" medications. Yeah.....really worth it, huh? It's like us nurses.....I'm one of the damn few who don't go home and get drunk after their day's work. However, I'm also one of the nurses who probably won't keep her license much longer. Why? Because the stress is NOT worth the money....not to me and not to my family.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,722 times
Quote:
Exactly, Hazel ! It's funny....how little physical exercise a person can get, climbing that ladder. So many of the people who do still have the high-stress jobs, couldn't continue to do so, if you took away their "anti-stress/anxiety" medications. Yeah.....really worth it, huh? It's like us nurses.....I'm one of the damn few who don't go home and get drunk after their day's work. However, I'm also one of the nurses who probably won't keep her license much longer. Why? Because the stress is NOT worth the money....not to me and not to my family.
And your relaxed attitude is probably a blessing to your patients. Life is short. Enjoy it.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:

The issue is why are they happy at minimum wage because they classify as the working poor but alone do not make enough to afford much above basic essentials. I am not saying I need a yacht or anything but working for peanuts and barely able to afford much more above basic essentials and have money to make a rainy day fund and/or retirement is not a life I would like to live. I would deal with some more stress than a menial job to do that.

Anyway, there are ways to get rid of this stress. I do it by working out, taking walks while listening to hard rock, going to sports events or going for vacation takes a way this stress. By any chance did your friend actually go and workout during his high-paying job?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,443 times
I'm sure there are a lot of interesting posts in this thread but far too many for me at the moment.

NOT getting a HS degree- - or a GED equivalent - is the absolute worst thing you can do!

But, does it take a college degree to get along?

Not necessarily. There are a couple of BILLIONAIRES who dropped out of college.

What IS important is finding something you like and are good at and going for it. Our society needs all sorts of skills just to keep us going. Are you good with your hands? Go into a trade. There are millions of jobs that need basic computer skills. As you're on here, you might have just what it takes.

If you go to college, will you need a loan for it? Can you deal with the years it'll take to pay it off?

You can always go to a community college part time while you're earning a living.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Just for the record there are still a few jobs where only a high school degree is required and pay *VERY good money.

New York City Sanitation is one IIRC, and those "garbage men" make *very* good money, especially with overtime. In fact I think that is the only big money job left in NYC government that does not require either some college and or military experience. NYFD and NYPD the other two high paying careers require post high school education IIRC.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,017 times
It is true but not in the sense you are thinking of. You could get out of school with a HS diploma and do what you could today: work your way up in a corporate restaurant, healthcare industry, blue collar company. But then you could be stable at that job for perhaps your whole career.

Now you can still do the same thing but there are less of those opportunities that are good. Also I think people have changed and they no longer want to stay at one boring job moving up their whole life. There are exceptions but the mindset is different overall.

He does not mean and it does not mean someone could become something you need extra education for to do. You could not become a Doctor of Philosophy or a chemist without a degree back then.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,017 times
I have heard tho cannot verify that the north of the US values experience over degree/training and the South it is reversed. ???

Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
It is true but not in the sense you are thinking of. You could get out of school with a HS diploma and do what you could today: work your way up in a corporate restaurant, healthcare industry, blue collar company. But then you could be stable at that job for perhaps your whole career.

Now you can still do the same thing but there are less of those opportunities that are good. Also I think people have changed and they no longer want to stay at one boring job moving up their whole life. There are exceptions but the mindset is different overall.

He does not mean and it does not mean someone could become something you need extra education for to do. You could not become a Doctor of Philosophy or a chemist without a degree back then.
I think that is also because of the Jonesing epidemic that started in the 50's. Say your neighbor gets a raise from their company, you want that too. They get promoted, you want it. I am not even getting into the TV, car and appliances that people buy. Sadly because of the way things became in the economy, we went from being able to get actual raises to now having to jump. That and the fact the stay at your company until you retire days are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment