Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
"Why aren't these things possible today?" Perhaps, in many cases if not all, an unwillingness to start at the bottom. Over and over I hear "I'm not working for such low wages" or "I'm not breaking my back on such labor". Like the company that is trying to start an American-made clothing factory - free training and all. I've heard the phrase "sweat shop" a hundred times since that news came out. The factory hasn't even had a chance to prove itself. They are still looking for workers. But everyone is so sure it won't be a decent place to work. My response is "It's a job." Believe me, there were "lower" jobs in the thirties and people begging for those.

Sometimes I think we need another Great Depression. There's an experience that taught us the value of work. And, sadly, only a war pulled us out of it. Sorry but I do get riled when people start with "I'm not working for such .....". As my Dad often said "It puts bread on the table."
I disagree with the bolded. There are many people willing to start anywhere, this is why positions everywhere are getting a huge amount of applications from well qualified people. As I mentioned in other threads, the word "over qualified" gets thrown into people's faces. Many posters on here even have the attitude that they will not hire an over qualified person because they feel the person will just jump ship for something else as soon as it comes open.

So while a college grad will accept a retail associate position with hopes of advancing, a retail store will just look at that person and think "this person will wan to move out of the position as soon as possible, we will pass on hiring them".

When I lived in the DC area, the competition was fierce for even volunteer positions; these positions would get hundreds of applications from college grads and experienced professionals, these people will commit to do anything to get work experience in hopes of getting a paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:21 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are many people willing to start anywhere...
As I mentioned in other threads, the word "over qualified" gets thrown into people's faces.

Many posters on here even have the attitude that they will not hire an over qualified person
(in preference to a more suitable candidate) because they (know from direct experience that)
the person will just jump ship for something (better) as soon as it comes open.
Correct; and the *minute* something more appropriate to their qualification becomes available.
Gone in 60 seconds.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I disagree with the bolded. There are many people willing to start anywhere, this is why positions everywhere are getting a huge amount of applications from well qualified people. As I mentioned in other threads, the word "over qualified" gets thrown into people's faces. Many posters on here even have the attitude that they will not hire an over qualified person because they feel the person will just jump ship for something else as soon as it comes open.

So while a college grad will accept a retail associate position with hopes of advancing, a retail store will just look at that person and think "this person will wan to move out of the position as soon as possible, we will pass on hiring them".

When I lived in the DC area, the competition was fierce for even volunteer positions; these positions would get hundreds of applications from college grads and experienced professionals, these people will commit to do anything to get work experience in hopes of getting a paying job.
That is a big issue, the over-qualified for this job but still under-qualified for others phenomenon. I have applied for many jobs and feel the fact I have a college degree is partially why I have had troubles finding work because I will "jump ship" to something better once I have the job. This isn't even something that comes up during interviews so I cannot say, I will stay if I can have help advancing (such as guidance to improve myself so I can move up.) One would think that is a good response...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
"Why aren't these things possible today?" Perhaps, in many cases if not all, an unwillingness to start at the bottom. Over and over I hear "I'm not working for such low wages" or "I'm not breaking my back on such labor". Like the company that is trying to start an American-made clothing factory - free training and all. I've heard the phrase "sweat shop" a hundred times since that news came out. The factory hasn't even had a chance to prove itself. They are still looking for workers. But everyone is so sure it won't be a decent place to work. My response is "It's a job." Believe me, there were "lower" jobs in the thirties and people begging for those.

Sometimes I think we need another Great Depression. There's an experience that taught us the value of work. And, sadly, only a war pulled us out of it. Sorry but I do get riled when people start with "I'm not working for such .....". As my Dad often said "It puts bread on the table."
We just had one. Well, not a great one, but the worst job situation in a lifetime. Bet you'd change your tune after spending three years unable to find a job, as many Americans have had to. Also, it took a world war to extricate us from it.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
I ran across an interesting factoid today. In 1991, wages accounted for 85% of US income. In 2011, that had dropped to 67%. Yeah, a lot of jobs just don't exist any more, and the ones that do pay a lot less.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:18 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
We just had one. Well, not a great one, but the worst job situation in a lifetime. Bet you'd change your tune after spending three years unable to find a job, as many Americans have had to. Also, it took a world war to extricate us from it.
I was laid off 4 times, and had a long history in the mortgage business, but I was always able to find a job, while the work sucked and at one point I was traveling 320 miles and living out of a hotel for 2-3 weeks at a time there are jobs out there.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Well it is called the Great Recession... FYI economists never include war as an end to economic recessions or depressions so it was someone I think in 1946 that it officially ended. This one "ended" but unlike the 1980/1 recession, we are all in a stranglehold four years after the "recovery" started. If you include the seventies, it may be a different story.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As much as I don't like "trends" let's face it growing up and having the "poor parents" suck. (I am using quotes here.) Say you don't have the money for uggs (i know they look horrible) and all your daughters friends have them and she is the only girl without them, you run the risk of your daughter becoming a social outcast and possible bullying just because she's poor.

I agree it can be a good lesson, however it also can be devastating to one's self-esteem on the other side of the spectrum. This is because peer pressure (whether middle/high school jonzing or between neighbors) does happen.
Trust me, you live a little longer and/or get to know a few more people, from other walks of life?....you're gonna find out real fast that there are far worse things to survive, than not having Uggs, like some of the other kids. Some kids don't WANT everything that everyone else has.

Don't you get, just how stupid it is to raise kids to think that, "Just because someone else has something, THEY should have it, too!"? Do you not get that THAT way of thinking...is what has devastated our economy!? Don't you get that JUST because a kid grows up not poor, it doesn't mean that they have/had a great childhood?

If a child can't handle life, because they don't have everything that every other kid has, either the parents have screwed up big time (in other areas), or the kid has emotional issues that have NOTHING to do with "those elusive Uggs". You "allow" people to treat you as an outcast. It's always about personal choice.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Trust me, you live a little longer and/or get to know a few more people, from other walks of life?....you're gonna find out real fast that there are far worse things to survive, than not having Uggs, like some of the other kids. Some kids don't WANT everything that everyone else has.

Don't you get, just how stupid it is to raise kids to think that, "Just because someone else has something, THEY should have it, too!"? Do you not get that THAT way of thinking...is what has devastated our economy!? Don't you get that JUST because a kid grows up not poor, it doesn't mean that they have/had a great childhood?

If a child can't handle life, because they don't have everything that every other kid has, either the parents have screwed up big time (in other areas), or the kid has emotional issues that have NOTHING to do with "those elusive Uggs". You "allow" people to treat you as an outcast. It's always about personal choice.
As I said, I think trends like that are stupid. I agree jonsing is a problem, but it wasn't what caused the recession (though it certainly didn't help matters.) The main causes were there was banking and mortgage regulation rollbacks.

The point of what I was saying is that many people see some of these trends as a form of social status. And if you don't have that you aren't that part of social status. I am just saying even though you may think it may be just a parental screw-up or emotional issues, it could just be another case of bullying. Let's face it bullying is a real problem and is much worse now than it ever was.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I said, I think trends like that are stupid. I agree jonsing is a problem, but it wasn't what caused the recession (though it certainly didn't help matters.) The main causes were there was banking and mortgage regulation rollbacks.

The point of what I was saying is that many people see some of these trends as a form of social status. And if you don't have that you aren't that part of social status. I am just saying even though you may think it may be just a parental screw-up or emotional issues, it could just be another case of bullying. Let's face it bullying is a real problem and is much worse now than it ever was.
Sure changing regulations was a problem, but that was not the main problem despite the media and government's attempts to place the blame on them, the main problem was people borrowing more and more money to support a lifestyle that they could not afford. I tell people that I used to refinance some people's home every year or two, and make them cut up their credit cards, and beg them not to buy another new car for a couple of years. A year later they were calling needing to pay off a whole new set of credit cards, and the new loan they took for another car, and pay off that camping trailer they had to have, not to mention the new boat that matched that new pickup they bought.

the thing is those people are now considered the victims by many, they enjoyed running up their credit, owning things they could not afford, living in houses that they did not need, driving a new vehicle every year, and it is everybody else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment