Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,841,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
That still costs money to have someone come up with the program, document it, and administer it to all new parties. Not to mention the lost production and downtime spent training the new hire.
But that cost is marginal especially if it is an industry standard as the costs are then shared.

Everything costs amounts in a business but the costs of not training exceeded the costs of training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,444,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the poster has a degree hanging on their wall at home...
Doubtful. But stupid people have been known to complete college. I personally know a few. On the other hand, I don't know that many that went to elite schools that lack in basic critical thinking and communication skills.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,730,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I have seen several companies I have worked for, and gotten calls from headhunters, where the job and the pay scale are so off base it's an example why people aren't filling the position. One I worked for put a position out for a very senior PhD researcher used to running many labs with multiple million dollar grants for...what the city normally pays burger flippers. I got a call for a position that required multiple professional degrees, plus 12 years of experiance across many fields (IT, finance, and accounting...~4 years each), for less then an entry level college grad usually received.
I had something similiar happen to me when I was doing a job search (which led me to my current position). I had been speaking to my current company about the job, and another company called me about a near-identical position they had open.....and they were offering $20,000 less per year than what my current company is offering. In fact, it was $20,000 less than what almost any other company would offer for a position like that (several of my friends having a position like that in other companies). Same metro area, so same cost of living. I checked to make sure this wasn't a part-time position, and they assured me that no, it was full-time.

I did, quite literally, ask them if they were kidding, that the salary they were offering was far less than what other companies were. The HR individual said that the economy wasn't good, so I really shouldn't expect more than what they were offering. I quietly advised the HR individual that he was operating on outdated information for our industry--that a few years ago, he could have probably offered that salary and gotten people begging for the job, but the tide had turned slightly. Granted, it's not to the point where I could negotiate for $20,000 more for my job duties elsewhere, but it's also no longer where I have to accept a salary far less than what the job is worth. In other words....the playing field leveled out. I also advised that HR person that I was currently in discussion with another company for a simliar position that was paying what the position was worth. I don't think they believed me, but that is their problem. I often wonder if they found somebody willing to take that job.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,809,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Companys are not willing to "invest" a bunch of money into training just to have the employee take that training and quit as soon as they have the new skills. You should not expect to get paid top dollar for you time AND get free training. You are paid for the value you bring to the orgainization. A new employee with no skills is not worth as much as an employee who can put in a full day of productive work.

I would bet that if companys could sue employees for reimbursement of training if they quit before working for x number of months or years they would be more willing to take a chance on them.
If the company is worth staying with then they don't have anything to worry about. Right? Again it falls on the employer. Funny how many years ago companies didn't seem to have a problem getting people to stay with them...maybe they need to change the way they do things? Good companies don't have any problem keeping people for years. Corporate America is the equivalent of the person in a romantic relationship that thinks they are always right and the world should bow down to them.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,841,732 times
An example of how the difference on training and treatment can be seen in Walmart Vs Costco

Walmart has a pretty bad reputation.

Costco hardly anything.

Cost vs WMT - Even going back 10 years Costco beats them hands down. 262% vs 44%

Creative destruction is destroying many corporations. Open source products, high speed internet and countless apps. Lyft and Uber can take out taxi companies, Airbnb can take out hotels. Companies have been overselling goods and services for generations and if an options can provide less for less and do so in a faster way then they'll win.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,554,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That or he doesn't believe the hype of many yes men that say companies really can't find the talent they want, not that they are pricing themselves out of finding the talent they want by low-balling.
The most OBVIOUS players to me that is gaming the system is the job placement industry. That would include the lowest, the guys working from home in UK trying to place someone in MN... up to all the way to someone's futures boss' boss working on his kickback. Money going into someone elses pocket. Scalpers got their own racket. car salesmen, realtors got their own racket but theyre all just maximizing commisions and kickbacks. Recruitment agencies got their own shell games too.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,057 times
My co-worker/friend was involved in the hiring process (actually, her boss delegated it to her). She went through 500 applications. She said, out of 500, maybe a dozen were actually "generally" qualified. Meaning, they had experience with the software they worked in. I say generally because ours was customized so we knew no one had that experience. Of the 12, it included 2 out of state people and a few newly graduates. Since she had to do the first round of interviews herself, she went ahead and interviewed all 12. The interview included a very short (10 min) test to see if they actually knew what they claimed. Out of the 12, 8 failed the test. The 4 remaining, got a second interview.

I just wonder if this is typical. That was only 500 applications. Yes the field is somewhat new and specialized (GIS), however, come on. Only 4 really knew what they were doing? I can't even imagine what crap resumes bigger companies get.

Also, I'm curious, for those that are in a hiring position, or know someone who is, is it monetarily better to wait for the perfect match, so you don't have to train, or is it better to stop reposting the same job and hire someone that is very close and train the rest? Or is it the managers that don't want to train, and therefore, not your choice to stop the search?

If you're a manager and you refuse to train, why won't you train someone? Is it better to be short handed than to train someone who may need a little? Just wondering.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,809,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'm a proponent of sticking around for a few years before considering a job switch. When applying for new jobs, employers aren't just interested in seeing all of your acquired skills. They also (in my opinion) want to see that you've accomplished something at each stop.

If you switch every other year, there's no way realistically for you to add any value to an operation. It's rare that someone leaves for significantly more in salary. The whole "grass is greener on the other side," is often true. Obviously, if you have an uncomfortable and difficult work environment with no opportunity for growth....leave. However, most people are trading a decent situation for what is essentially a lateral move and slightly more pay.
Why wouldn't you leave for more money? If the company you're with only wants to give a pathetic 3 percent raise and the company down the street wants to hire you on for 8 percent more then company A needs to get with the program. The powers that be in corporate America are so clueless they think the market should only work in their favor.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,554,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Why wouldn't you leave for more money? If the company you're with only wants to give a pathetic 3 percent raise and the company down the street wants to hire you on for 8 percent more then company A needs to get with the program. The powers that be in corporate America are so clueless they think the market should only work in their favor.
*maybe* nothing wrong with that but it highlights what the H1B(and other) workers' 'endurance/reliability/overall value'... the true 'diamonds' corporation are willing to pay market price for

Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,444,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You have to be sure that the money is worth it. It's not always. My salary has increased nearly 67% over the past five years by way of jumping ship, but it has come at a cost. The job I currently have has included a lot of growing pains and learning to deal with a**holes in the field. It's been a valuable learning experience, but a painful one at that. Fortunately, I have just completed an interview process with another company and I know the manager whom I'd be working under. She is a great lady and the company seems to have a great culture. Also, this new position could possibly result in a 100% increase in salary over the past five years. So it really would be a win-win.

My point is, once you find a good position with a good company that pays a decent salary, it would definitely be worth considering a long-term investment in that company as an employee. That's been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment