Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,843 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about just applying to be one (as a back up plan) so that I won't have any sort of gaps in my employment background.

Would it look "bad" in anyway though since it's not even close to being related to what I want to do? I never want to work as an actual educator.

My issue is that if I'm going to be applying for part time jobs while I'm also looking for a full time job, I want the part time job to be helping my resume, ya know? At this point, anything is better than nothing, so I apply for everything from waitress/hostessing positions to retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Would it look "bad" in anyway though since it's not even close to being related to what I want to do?
Nope. Honest work is never bad.

That it leaves you available to accept a better/full time job without requiring subterfuge
(as many around here seem to be confused about) is a decided advantage.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Ggumbo, do you live in a small town or something?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'd say it's one of those medium all-American type of towns, a population of about ~20,000. It's on the wayyyyyyyy far outskirts of a large metro (about 30 minutes away from the "inner metro area" and 45-60 minutes away from the actual city).

Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I'm thinking about just applying to be one (as a back up plan) so that I won't have any sort of gaps in my employment background.

Would it look "bad" in anyway though since it's not even close to being related to what I want to do? I never want to work as an actual educator.

My issue is that if I'm going to be applying for part time jobs while I'm also looking for a full time job, I want the part time job to be helping my resume, ya know? At this point, anything is better than nothing, so I apply for everything from waitress/hostessing positions to retail.
Of course not!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was thinking the same thing...in my former town (a larger metro area) subs are actually regulated...you have to have degrees/certifications to be able to do it. Usually it caters to people who have teaching degrees and either can't find a full time teaching job or only want to sub (new parents usually).

Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Go for it....if you can get accepted. I understand subbing is now overcrowded, with the economy, etc. I used to sub, many years ago. The main advantage is you can be flexible, so you can do interviews, etc. You don't have to make up elaborate excuses, call in "sick" etc, for days you have other priorities. You can even say truthfully that you are job-hunting, they understand that.

Apply to more than one school district, if you can. Also, be prepared to work at a moment's notice. They usually call early in the morning, like 5 AM, 6 AM, and expect you to accept/decline on the spot. I kept an outfit ready to go so I could be out the door in minutes. Don't expect to make a ton of money! I found it worked out to around minimum wage....

Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
I would treat it like a temp job - you may not called at all and yes, they do call you very early in the morning before 6 am on many occasions. You may get short term assignments in high school, 1 day here or there or longer term assignments in elementary schools. Sometimes the administrators will tell you the timeframe when you accept the subbing job for that day.

Subbing is a great way to see if you like teaching kids of any age. I did subbing some years ago before I got into a career, and was in between jobs and learned quite a bit. From my stint in subbing, I found out quickly I much preferred teaching adults in comparison to the high school crowd! And I also figured out the ability to teach is definitely harder than it seems to an outsider.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Here is another way to look at this.

You can always say you wanted to try teaching. You could add that you feel your communication skills really demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate new ideas to people (a nice skill for almost any resume). This works a bit better if you are substituting at the high school level but still applies no matter what grade you are working in.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I would treat it like a temp job - you may not called at all and yes, they do call you very early in the morning before 6 am on many occasions. You may get short term assignments in high school, 1 day here or there or longer term assignments in elementary schools. Sometimes the administrators will tell you the timeframe when you accept the subbing job for that day.

Subbing is a great way to see if you like teaching kids of any age. I did subbing some years ago before I got into a career, and was in between jobs and learned quite a bit. From my stint in subbing, I found out quickly I much preferred teaching adults in comparison to the high school crowd! And I also figured out the ability to teach is definitely harder than it seems to an outsider.
All of this is true. I wasn't a teacher, but I worked as a classified in the school offices, and it was either feast or famine. You're either turning jobs down, because you're already working, or haunting the sub system website or calling their automated line for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment